OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread Part II

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Got whipped by juveniles tonight, the football coach beat a hasty retreat after the mother of all beat-downs...things are not good at the UW recently:shakehead

Edit: forgot to mention Keegan Ford left the team.

Last edited:

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Valid points, friend. All is not lost. As for football I'd rather take my chances with Alvarez coaching than Anderson. Barry could beat SEC teams.

On Wisconsin!

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Valid points, friend. All is not lost. As for football I'd rather take my chances with Alvarez coaching than Anderson. Barry could beat SEC teams.

On Wisconsin!

The good news is that we are in a division for football that basically gives us an east route to the big ten title game. Now we just have to find a football coach willing to be Alvarez's *****.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I've never been one to be reactionary and call for a coaches' head for a down year. There have been a few of those under Eaves' tenure but I never thought he should get the gate until now. For the record I think he is a great coach and it's hard to argue the results; NHL experience, our 1st Gold Medal in the WJCs, a title in 2006 and a Finals appearance in '10. Not to mention all the Badgers he prepped for the NHL. Not many other coaches in the NCAA have that level of success.

We're spoiled as Badger fans, we're not used to losing. There's always critics even during the good times; The team won a title in '06 and some people still b***ched how Eaves failed to recruit Phil Kessel! Pretty absurd seeing as how Kessel sat and watched The Badgers win their 6th title. I digress...I can deal with a losing season. There were bad seasons under Badger Bob & Uncle Jeff. The difference is the level the teams prepared to* play. Even in down years the Badgers were, at worst, a scrappy underdog that always had a chance....think Mankato under Troy Jutting.

This year's team was not going to be great but has enough talent to be competitive. The on ice product has not been able to put together more than two good consecutive periods of play. There's no fight, no spark, no execution of fundamentals...no exhibition of the hallmarks of Badger Hockey. This is because the message to these players is not resonating which means there will be no progress. This is the first team I can remember that has not offered a glimmer of hope for next year and that is my reasoning to think a change at the top would be good for this proud program.

Last edited:

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Maybe he can be our next high profile decommit. We can feel good about having had him verbally for a short while.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
That's like the hottest girl in school smiling at you.
Anything's possible :laugh:
Maybe he can be our next high profile decommit. We can feel good about having had him verbally for a short while.

Wow, badger hockey has you that down? Fear not my friend, for better days are yet to come. Besides, we all know what happened the last time a player of his profile decommitted to Wisconsin ;)

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Anything's possible :laugh:

Wow, badger hockey has you that down? Fear not my friend, for better days are yet to come. Besides, we all know what happened the last time a player of his profile decommitted to Wisconsin ;)

I don't remember high profile decommits to Bucky, only from. The answer that comes to mind is that The London Knights got a nice scoring boost when Sam Gagner jumped ship.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't remember high profile decommits to Bucky, only from. The answer that comes to mind is that The London Knights got a nice scoring boost when Sam Gagner jumped ship.

Sorry, I worded my last post very poorly. Didn't mean decommit, meant picked a rival school over us (Phil Kessel).

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Sorry, I worded my last post very poorly. Didn't mean decommit, meant picked a rival school over us (Phil Kessel).

I thought that might be where you were going. Ah, good times! (Except for Phil and his Holy Cross event). While this team is better than it's record would indicate, I don't think even the sainted Badger Bob could take them to the finals next year. I don't think the program is far from being relevant again, though.

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
Anyone have any suggestion for places to purchase Badger jerseys? Was hoping to scoop up a ryan mcdonagh one.

Thanks in advance.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Anyone have any suggestion for places to purchase Badger jerseys? Was hoping to scoop up a ryan mcdonagh one.

Thanks in advance.

CHN and other college hockey sites have online stores. You can try Bucky's locker room. I think you'll have to get the lettering yourself because of NCAA codes.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Well, well, well, if it isn't another decommit to add to Eaves' impressive stable! Top goalie prospect, Luke Opilka has jumped ship for Canadian Juniors joining the ranks of Brock Boeser, Sam Gagner, Pat wiercioch, Nate Hagemo, Jordan Scmaltz (all NHL draftees) and whoever else. Ouch. Just ouch.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Well, well, well, if it isn't another decommit to add to Eaves' impressive stable! Top goalie prospect, Luke Opilka has jumped ship for Canadian Juniors joining the ranks of Brock Boeser, Sam Gagner, Pat wiercioch, Nate Hagemo, Jordan Scmaltz (all NHL draftees) and whoever else. Ouch. Just ouch.
Wow. That is a lot of decommits. Ouch.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Wow. That is a lot of decommits. Ouch.

I know every big program has it happen but I doubt anyone else has had as many high profile decommits as Wiscy. Something is not right in Badgerland.

I forgot to add Brock Monpetit, Christian Dvorak and Nick Pryor to the list....although Pryor was more a case of not cutting it academically.

Last edited:

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
I know every big program has it happen but I doubt anyone else has had as many high profile decommits as Wiscy. Something is not right in Badgerland.

I forgot to add Brock Monpetit, Christian Dvorak and Nick Pryor to the list....although Pryor was more a case of not cutting it academically.

Thanks for Boeser though. ;)

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH

Well, its been almost 10 years since the Badgers won a championship. Its difficult to get kids to comitt when you arent making the Frozen Four every year, especially when you are competing with Minnesota for recruits.
This season is going to decide what Eaves' future is at Wisconsin. If they arent much more competitive, Eaves will likely be out. Theres a lot of people who think it may be time for a new coach, maybe even to give Mark Johnson a shot at the mens' coaching job. The bottom line really is that the way Wisconsin has been the past few years isnt acceptable and isnt to the standards of Wisconsin Badger hockey.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Thanks for Boeser though. ;)

Don't forget Schmaltz, ya ingrate! ;) Probably both of them; if Jordan had followed through with his commit, lil' bro probably would have followed him to Madison. Jordan's commit was sketchy though, with his dad doing the brokering when Jordan was only 14.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Well, its been almost 10 years since the Badgers won a championship. Its difficult to get kids to comitt when you arent making the Frozen Four every year, especially when you are competing with Minnesota for recruits.

Hagemo is the only guy we lost as a decommit to Minny. I won't knock Eaves for not keeping in state talent home like some people do. I don't care that he didn't get Kessel, they won it all without him while he was getting Holy Crossed out of the picture. I liked Derrick LaPoint but if Weircioch was getting delayed making the team at that phase then there was no room for 'Pointer. And I don't mind losing the recruiting battle, it's the unprecedented loss of commits that makes me wonder where the problem is. It's not like a kid committing to Canisius and then he gets a chance to play for Boston College.

It's been longer between titles for NoDak and Minny, and never, for say, Miami, but they aren't losing commits like UW is. All 3 of those programs have had better sustained success but it's not like our decommits were leaving a hockey wasteland.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Jack Dougherty has withdrawn from the program and will be playing in the WHL. I don't see how it could be worse than this. It would take Badger Bob with Herbie and Gino as his assistants to make this team competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad