OT: Official TV & Movie Spoiler/Speculation/Rumor Thread-See Mod Warning in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
The Last Jedi trailer is up, but I'm not watching it, or any future trailers. Going in ice cold. :nod:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
They only give up so much if you know the context afterwards. Out of context, it's hard to gather as much information. Heck, half of the Rogue One shots/voiceovers weren't even in the final movie.

On the other hand, I don't really care about "being surprised" by the plots nearly as much as some here.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You don't need much context when they flash images of big scenes...Standard practice for me if I really care about a movie, might be to only watch the first 15 seconds, then I turn away.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm not going to "rank" it among the other movies of the franchise yet. Waiting for the director's cut (since it is Ridley Scott, and those always happen with him).

[spoil]
That being said, I'm not sure I even have it above Prometheus. I am much more positive on Prometheus than many, though. Covenant couldn't decide if it wanted to be a xenomorph horror movie (like Alien) or if it wanted to be posthuman/meaning of life exploration (like Prometheus). It ended up straddling in between those two realms, never fully committing to one or the other. It's almost as if Scott wanted this to be another posthuman movie, but got pushback from the studio after Prometheus' reception and decided to make Blade Runner 2049 instead. It's obvious that Scott has a fixation on posthumanism right now.

In terms of more specific gripes, it could have been better served without the "twists" near the end. Both the chest burster on the Covenant and David replacing Walter were obvious, but they tried to surprise the audience. They both fell flat because of it. The only part of that particularly twist I enjoyed was the moment where they showed David stapling his face, even though if it was Walter he should have automatically healed.

Additionally, I feel the xenomorphs should have been more menacing. They ended up dispatching two of them in relatively short order, after shooting up some proto-xenomorphs beforehand. If you want your big, bad movie monster to create a horror vibe, don't have four of them die throughout the movie.

Regardless, I look forward to the final chapter of the David trilogy. Fassbender is great.
[/spoil]

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Alien, like Star Wars, is basically recycled crap, IMO. Good for visuals & nostalgia :) But it's understandable that fans of those worlds will enjoy the movies as long as they have good actors and production values. To some extent, I do, too :)

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Not really. There were times in the Alien and Star Wars franchises where they each produced crap, and neither has stopped recycling the success of the originals. It's happened with lots of huge franchises. Trek and Terminator come to mind. Batman, Spider-Man, Lethal Weapon, Bond, Die Hard, Superman... The last Bourne movie was pretty blah.

How many simultaneous Sherlock Holmses do we need? When's the last time there was a Robin Hood or King Arthur worth a ****?

The original Alien was solid, especially for its time. The sequel was more visceral, well-made fun than true quality, and everything since has been decent or ambitious at best, abysmal mind***kery at worst.

I agree with artilector.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Crap is a bit strong.

OK, maybe the term I should've used is "junk food" :)
The wrapper looks better and better, the product can still be fun for the taste buds, but gets a bit more stale with each recycling.

However, the great Ridley Scott seems to be running out of ideas. It's a good thing, hopefully, that the new Blade Runner has somebody else in charge.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
"Junk food" is a good term. If you're a Trekkie or a Star Wars fan or just a general but avid sci-fi fan, and you're like me, you gobble up anything like Aliens happily.

Just speaking of the most recent Alien flic, this is exploring the backstory that hardcore fans of that universe always wanted. I have no issue with the story no matter the lack of depth.

For me, the worst thing about the last two was some bad science with regards to space travel and the repeated mind numbing failures in or the blatant disregard for what should be standard safety protocols.

I think way too many movie goers can't separate most movies into their proper class of film. I've rarely (if ever) gone into a sci fi film thinking "I sure hope this is Oscar-worthy". As a fan to be able to enjoy these movies, you need proper perspective and you need to be able to suspend disbelief at times, sometimes way too often. ;)

There's only one Alien movie I didn't like and even then it's still no worse than average for the sci fi/monster genre, Alien3.

As a general rule, going into most movies with tempered expectations will probably only serve to enhance your moviegoing experience. I saw Batwatch yesterday. I expected a movie with humor like 21 Jump Street, wasn't surprised when I got that and was able to enjoy a slightly better than average comedy. "For what it is" an enjoyable funny movie. Perspective.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not really. There were times in the Alien and Star Wars franchises where they each produced crap, and neither has stopped recycling the success of the originals. It's happened with lots of huge franchises. Trek and Terminator come to mind. Batman, Spider-Man, Lethal Weapon, Bond, Die Hard, Superman... The last Bourne movie was pretty blah.

How many simultaneous Sherlock Holmses do we need? When's the last time there was a Robin Hood or King Arthur worth a ****?

The original Alien was solid, especially for its time. The sequel was more visceral, well-made fun than true quality, and everything since has been decent or ambitious at best, abysmal mind***kery at worst.

I agree with artilector.

Everyone has their own tastes. I like the Guy Ritchie Sherlocks. His Directing style is fun and unique. I also liked his version of King Arthur. It's no Excalibur, but nothing ever will be, I accept that and don't let my own unrealistic expectations ruin the genre/sub-class for me.

I REALLY like the TV version of Sherlock with Cumberbatch/Freeman/Gatiss. They're movie length TV episodes and are great IMO. So yeah, while I don't need another Ritchie Sherlock movie, if it's entertaining, I'd probably watch it.

Feels like you have issues with franchises. Expectations.

Give me 10 movies you enjoyed in the last year. Will help me understand the type of movie goer you are.

Last edited:

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I don't have any trouble keeping expectations in check with franchises, but it's inarguable that many went through some extremely rough patches, the ones artilector brought up included.

Almost all franchises produce a stinker or two, and, as in your case, someone has to be enough of a fan in the first place to see through the rough times. So if all Alien was to you was a space thriller, you're not as apt to be so forgiving about subsequent films not being as good or failing to compellingly build on the premise. I loved the sequel, but mostly for its entertaining characters, humor, and crazy-good visuals. The story? Meh. And I've felt that way ever since.

Prometheus was ambitious; unafraid to be its own thing while doing some unpredictable world-building. It's not a movie I'd watch again, but it was interesting.

As for other franchises, we'd probably agree where most went wrong. Rocky V, Lethal Weapon 3/4, everything after Die Hard 3, Iron Man 2, Schumacher Batman, everything after Superman 2, Spidey 3, Bond and Trek have been roller coasters of ups and downs, and the Terminator movies feel similar to Alien to me in that it's a weak premise that they never did a great job shoring up, leaving each film to live or die solely on its own merit. Still, they made a great one and a TV show that was surprisingly good.

Some of the revivals (the two most recent Rocky movies, new Trek and Star Wars) have really worked well. Some flew under the radar despite being pretty good (Renner's Bourne, John Rambo). The reboots have been hit (Batman) and miss (Amazing Spider-Man). And I'm with you on the modern Sherlocks. I like them, but it is kinda funny that there had to be 3 big, simultaneous Sherlocks, and does show a regurgitation-over-invention preference in film and TV today, even if they worked out in these cases.

I haven't seen Ritchie's Arthur yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I actually liked the one Fuqua did a decade or so ago. It was nice to see a different take with no magic; kind of a "what if this actually happened?" version. Underappreciated, in my opinion.

Anyway, my list of recent movies I liked might be a little askew. I haven't been able to go to the theater since 2014 (leukemia), so I've missed the cinematic, theatrical presentation a lot of tentpoles benefit from. I'll be able to get back to it this summer.

But I don't think you'd be shocked by my tastes. Hell or High Water was the movie I enjoyed the most last year, but as you said, a lot of that was having no expectations going in other than I like Bridges and that type of movie in general. Recent franchise flicks or franchise-starters? Dr. Strange was overrated, Batman/Superman was weak, Civil War was great, Jason Bourne was bad (which sucked because I loved those movies), the new Apes are great, Trek 3 was my favorite (way more original, less rehash), really enjoyed both new Star Wars despite generally not liking I/II/III, pretty bad Terminator, really enjoyed Fantastic Beasts...

I'm not sure the Hobbit/Rings movies count since they were both conceived and executed as one big story. I could have done without Hobbit 2 ending on a cliffhanger that was resolved in the first 10 minutes of the next one. That was bad. Each movie should stand on its own, and that one was incomplete.

Sorry for the novel, but it's a big subject. ;)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I really disagree that Prometheus or Covenant were "junk food" movies. Both were ambitious in their thematic choices (particularly Prometheus). While neither could fully execute what they had intended, it wasn't for stooping to being a straightforward action flick like Aliens. While the second half of Covenant definitely picked up the pace and morphed into more of an action flick than the first half, the movie did still touch upon the themes that were brought forth in Prometheus.

Prometheus, if anything, strayed too far away from the original movies for most fans of the franchise. That's why many were upset.

However, the great Ridley Scott seems to be running out of ideas. It's a good thing, hopefully, that the new Blade Runner has somebody else in charge.

Ridley Scott is still an executive producer and is involved with production, even if he's turned the director's chair over to Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival).

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Is it just me, or does it seem like the new trend is bashing GoT? I saw like 5-10 tweets basically saying "Am I the only one who doesn't care about Game Of Thrones?" last night and so many people *****ing about it. I swear social media gets worse every day :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad