OT: Official Sports Media Thread IV (TV, Radio, Print) - Jack Edwards' contract extended

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
How is Disney allowed to do this? Seems like they're skirting the antitrust laws. This is essentially a media monopoly.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Heard Savvy doing a hit on Sirius/XM Powerplay Show Wednesday. No B’s content, but he sounded really good. Totally slagging Torts. :laugh:
The sign-off sounded like this was a regular weekly thing.

Last edited:

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
It's sad but the handwriting has been on the wall for years.

The Herald's readership is dying and the younger generations don't buy papers. Herald's circulation is today 60,000 which is down from 245,000 12 years ago. I think the 60,000 figure is suspect as I personally don't see anyone reading the paper.

My heart sinks for the Herald's staff. I've watched Gannett take a butcher knife to our local major metro (in a one-paper town) and it's almost unreadable now. Rounds and rounds of layoffs, and a lot of talented journalists - almost all over 40 - got laid off and then, as if by magic, their jobs got filled with people out of college. My wife works at a newspaper. She's incredibly talented. Every day, I'm on pins & needles hoping she comes home with a job.

I teach high school. Every now and then, I ask how many students read a newspaper (in print or online). Sometimes, one or two hands out of a class of 30 go up. But more often, none do.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
If this Disney deal goes through I hope they pour money into improving NESN- staff, equipment etc. That investment has always been sorely lacking IMO.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
If this Disney deal goes through I hope they pour money into improving NESN- staff, equipment etc. That investment has always been sorely lacking IMO.

I do to..
But I'd imagine it would go in the other direction.
They broadcast for 2 teams, and cover only 2 more. Tough to justify more than a couple of crews and one sound stage.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Meanwhile, it has been a great example to lean on in my classroom as I teach about the age of industry and Standard Oil.
Dat Rockafella

I recently read that the National Gallery in Washington only exists because Andrew Mellon was buying paintings from the Russian government and got rung up for laundering and tax evasion until he cut a deal with Roosevelt to leave the artwork to the government when he died.

And the money he spent of those paintings funded most of the Soviet industrialization of the 1930s.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Isn’t it time for the Beloved Red Sox to dump that insanely overly cheesy weepy commercial with the old guy mewling away because “you’re going to game Pa!” (His grandson must be a cave dude)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->