OT: Official Sports Media Thread IV (TV, Radio, Print) - Jack Edwards' contract extended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Anyone listen to the Podcast Spittin Chicklets with Biznasty and Whitney? Colin Miller/Rielly Smith and their Bruins tenure were brought up. Whit suggested Clode had these guys in a "pretzel". I still think we really missed the mark on Colin we gave up the wrong Miller.

Reactions: dabid and Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Anyone listen to the Podcast Spittin Chicklets with Biznasty and Whitney? Colin Miller/Rielly Smith and their Bruins tenure were brought up. Whit suggested Clode had these guys in a "pretzel". I still think we really missed the mark on Colin we gave up the wrong Miller.

I'm not very bright, what is a "pretzel" besides the one that has salt on it that you eat?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I don't disagree that Claude had an adverse effect on certain players, but I don't think that's atypical of any coach. The league is littered with guys who did well or poorly in one place only to do the opposite in another. It's a real thing.

As an aside my daughter is going through it right now. She is an excellent center fielder in softball but her hitting isn't as strong.

However, when she's playing on her summer team, she's above average....on her HS team she really struggles.

Oddly the pitching in the summer league is better overall than in HS. The difference is the coach. The summer coach is a very, very positive "Rah Rah" type of guy.

Her HS coach is not and is more about ruling with a strong arm. This does work for some kids, but not mine.

Not saying either way is perfect. I just am seeing first hand how a bad coach/player mix can have an effect.

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Makes sense that he was trying his hardest to cover up harassment at the Globe because he has been doing it as well.

This saga just took an unexpected turn

McGrory responds in memo to staff

To the newsroom,

Hilary Sargent is someone I have known for a long time, been fond of personally, and respected professionally. To say the least, I was not anticipating the situation this week.

Hilary released on Monday what she said was an exchange between us. I have no recollection of it, which, admittedly, is embarrassing to me. I have asked Hilary to provide the date and a more complete version of the exchange. She has not addressed my request. I have told the Globe’s owners that the company should feel free to retrieve our text messages by whatever means possible, and I am trying myself.

Absent that information, I do think some context is needed.

First, Hilary and I dated many years ago. We did not work together at the time, and we’ve remained friendly over the years.

Second, when Hilary came to boston.com in 2014, I had no role, no say whatsoever, in her hire. She did not report to me, even indirectly. The site had a separate editor answering directly to the front office. We were on mutually friendly terms, and I do not believe I ever wrote, spoke, or acted in a disrespectful way to her.

Third, months after Hilary left boston.com, we would sometimes exchange text messages that included the kind of personal banter of two people very familiar with each other. I regret that very much for reasons that go far beyond the Globe.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
This saga just took an unexpected turn

McGrory responds in memo to staff

To the newsroom,

Hilary Sargent is someone I have known for a long time, been fond of personally, and respected professionally. To say the least, I was not anticipating the situation this week.

Hilary released on Monday what she said was an exchange between us. I have no recollection of it, which, admittedly, is embarrassing to me. I have asked Hilary to provide the date and a more complete version of the exchange. She has not addressed my request. I have told the Globe’s owners that the company should feel free to retrieve our text messages by whatever means possible, and I am trying myself.

Absent that information, I do think some context is needed.

First, Hilary and I dated many years ago. We did not work together at the time, and we’ve remained friendly over the years.

Second, when Hilary came to boston.com in 2014, I had no role, no say whatsoever, in her hire. She did not report to me, even indirectly. The site had a separate editor answering directly to the front office. We were on mutually friendly terms, and I do not believe I ever wrote, spoke, or acted in a disrespectful way to her.

Third, months after Hilary left boston.com, we would sometimes exchange text messages that included the kind of personal banter of two people very familiar with each other. I regret that very much for reasons that go far beyond the Globe.
If it is true. Globe honesty is at all time low. How is anyone supposed to believe anything they write lately.

The first sentence of this “aritcle” states it is from his phone and Dan Kennedy decides to post it on their website.

Is that fact checking?

Last edited:
Reactions: MattFromFranklin

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If it is true. Globe honesty is at all time low. How is anyone supposed to believe anything they write lately.

The first sentence of this “aritcle” states it is from his phone and Dan Kennedy decides to post it on their website.

Is that fact checking?

Given the history of that rag, how anyone was able to believe anything they've written in the last 30 years is beyond me. It's been garbage for years and years.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA

Is that fact checking?
Keep in mind that this is the same paper the previously employed Mike Barnicle and currently employees Kevin Cullen.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Are there any updates to the Cullen situation?

As for this latest news, I'm not sure what to think.

The fact that they dated adds an entirely different twist to things.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Dead silence about Cullen.

Which is very interesting. If there was nothing they would have been out and done with with it already. Not saying there’s any guilt here but it’s been weeks and it’s been nothing but dead silence. My guess is there’s more to this than meets the eye

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I can’t believe this story isn’t getting much coverage in the mainstream media.

The Indy Star’s coverage rivals that of what the Globe’s Spotlight team did with the Church scandal.

IMO, we need more of this kind of journalism today.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Former Boston Phoenix Publisher Stephen Mindich Dead At 74

Mindich knew how to make a buck. I know many who worked for him and they all have said he was tough, cheap but a good man.

He made his fortune pre-internet when the Phoenix controlled 900 numbers nationwide. He also indirectly saved Fenway Park because when John Harrington announced the team would build a new Fenway Park, he refused to sell land the Sox needed and they wound up selling to John Henry.

One of his big financial killings occurred when he bought a FM station in Westerly, Rhode Island but he found an engineer that could tweak the signal. The station served as a repeater of WFNX in Lynn but in 2003 Entercom bought it

Entercom Signs Definitive Agreement To Acquire WWRX-FM in Providence, RI

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Boston Globe files injunction against former employee Hilary Sargent

The Boston Globe has filed an injunction against former staffer Hilary Sargent in Suffolk Superior Court.

The newspaper alleges that Sargent, the former editor of Boston.com, breached her separation agreement with the Boston Globe in tweeting her allegations of sexual harassment against editor Brian McGrory and not immediately providing more context.

Adam Reilly posted the lawsuit on twitter but did not link all of the tweets so here is his Twitter page

Adam Reilly (@reillyadam) | Twitter

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Hilary erred badly she neglected to mention she had dated McGrory years ago.
Seriously

No excuse for poor actions but that’s interesting

The Globe seems under seige these days

Still shows up in my driveway every morning at 4:30

I liked the world much better when there was no agendas and the Brady Bunch and Laugh In and Love American Style were on.

Clowns were named Bozo and not It.

We had Yaz and Bobby & Phil and Cheesy and Chief, Hondo & Jo Jo.

There was no harassment and Ray Fitzgerald would write great columns and Wil McDonough on the weekends

The Beatles sang All You Need is Love and I Want to Hold Your Habs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gee Wally

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Is that confirmed?

And if a woman dates a man once that means she can’t be sexually harassed by the same man?

This is it in a nutshell. Unwanted advances are unwanted advances, regardless of their previous dating history. I mean hell, if they were married and he forced himself on her, she could get him arrested for assault. Shaming her because they dated years ago is nothing more than victim blaming, and flat out wrong. What the guy did was creepy. Own it and if you don't want to be accused of this going forward, stop being a creeper.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
new Radio.com app has shut Canada off from WEEI, says not available in your country
THAT'S DUE TO THE PRIVACY laws, which is why the new regulations over data and streaming went into effect as of today, where GDRF now applies after scandals over security issues, because a lot of sites are updating privacy/terms, including here, where it popped up one day even if u were logged in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad