OT: Official Olympic thread. Go Canada Go!!!

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
A 4 over 75 has dropped Brooke Henderson down to currently tied for 9th after 3 rounds

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
DeGrasse saved that relay from being an embarrassment Edit: Ok embarrassment is an overstatement but we were pretty far back with the bottom half of the field. He made up so much ground on everyone.

The Japanese looked amazing.

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I meant the teams, unless it's Habs fans or Leafs fans I don't particularly enjoy seeing people sad because their team lost.

As the women's volleyball team was starting to lose - all you saw was kids crying, sometimes held by parents.

IDK why but this only seems to happen with Brazil as far as I've noticed. They just have cameras reading on crying children.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I'll just add some ****ing karmic justice for once. The US literally reviewed our entire PanAm games 4x100 relay medal to find places they could challenge for a disqualification of the Canadian race.

They sent in an appeal, were denied and sent in a second appeal on a second runner and that appeal was accepted and we were robbed of Gold.

**** the US Track & Field ****s. Every time they get stripped of a medal or get a DQ - I cheer.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'll just add some ****ing karmic justice for once. The US literally reviewed our entire PanAm games 4x100 relay medal to find places they could challenge for a disqualification of the Canadian race.

They sent in an appeal, were denied and sent in a second appeal on a second runner and that appeal was accepted and we were robbed of Gold.

**** the US Track & Field ****s. Every time they get stripped of a medal or get a DQ - I cheer.

They are truly ********. Still waiting on Carl Lewis to be stripped.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Not a big soccer fan but watched the entire Brazil/Germany gold medal game. My gosh those guys are talented, lots of fun. No rolling around with spurious injuries, just skill.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Both men's and women's soccer finals were pretty entertaining. So often, championship games turn out to be a dud compared to earlier matches, but the finals were good. So glad Brazil was able to pull this one out; it was a fitting end (or close to end) to the Games.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Both men's and women's soccer finals were pretty entertaining. So often, championship games turn out to be a dud compared to earlier matches, but the finals were good. So glad Brazil was able to pull this one out; it was a fitting end (or close to end) to the Games.

And yet it was decided by penalty kicks. I don't even know why they bother playing the first 120 minutes. Just have each side send out their best 5 shooters and let's get this show on the road.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Well now that the Olympics are virtually done for Canadians (a few athletes going today but none are really medal hopefuls). This marks one of Canada's best summer Olympics. With so many disappointments and then so many surprises.... it's been fun.

I think it would be really cool to see both Penny and DeGrasse share the flag bearer title (although my best guess is it will be penny)

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Henderson finished tied for 7th at 7 under

Too bad. She just missed a birdie and then an eagle on the closing holes.
Ko, who got the sliver, looked like her game was falling apart until that shot into the gallery, that looked to be headed into the scrubland and mysteriously rocketed back into the fairway.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
That's... that's not how it works.

That's not how any of this works.

The amount of knockout games decided by penalty shots (which are a complete joke) is fairly high.

It's actually really sad and a reason to not watch soccer - because a huge amount is just plain luck.

littleD

The amount of knockout games decided by penalty shots (which are a complete joke) is fairly high.

It's actually really sad and a reason to not watch soccer - because a huge amount is just plain luck.

One game in the men's tournament was decided by shootout.

Three of fifteen knockout game at Euro 2016 were decided by shootout.

Two games at Copa America went to shootout.

Four of fifteen at 2014 World Cup.

What are you talking about?

Your earlier comment is like saying "any close NHL game, just cancel and go straight to the shootout!". Any low scoring playoff game, let's go straight to OT, first goal wins every game.

Again, it's not how any of this works.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
One game in the men's tournament was decided by shootout.

Three of fifteen knockout game at Euro 2016 were decided by shootout.

Two games at Copa America went to shootout.

Four of fifteen at 2014 World Cup.

What are you talking about?

Your earlier comment is like saying "any close NHL game, just cancel and go straight to the shootout!". Any low scoring playoff game, let's go straight to OT, first goal wins every game.

Again, it's not how any of this works.

I get where Ether is coming from though. It's terrible when games are decided by shootouts. Just like IIHF knockout rounds in hockey. No one actually likes it.

Your stats don't actually back up your sentiments; 1 in 5 knockout games at Euro; 1 in 4 games at the World Cup.. still seems pretty high to me. 25% chance your game is decided by penalty kicks is not "low".

Also, re: this:

It's not a good cross-sport comparison. IMO goal frequency is way higher in hockey than it is in soccer. Scoring chances are also way higher, even if the game is low scoring. What does a soccer game have, like 8 shots on goal a game? There are many more goal-scoring opportunities (ie opportunities to end the game) than in soccer.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
If anyone hasn't seen the video of the Mongolian wrestling coaches having a temper tantrum, do yourself a favour and check it out.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I get where Ether is coming from though. It's terrible when games are decided by shootouts. Just like IIHF knockout rounds in hockey. No one actually likes it.

Your stats don't actually back up your sentiments; 1 in 5 knockout games at Euro; 1 in 4 games at the World Cup.. still seems pretty high to me. 25% chance your game is decided by penalty kicks is not "low".

I understand it's a tough sport and you don't want to run the players to death but the net is way too big and the goalie is basically guessing every single time.

I wouldn't mind it so much if the shot was taken from further out or the net was reduced in size or the goalie was allowed to start off his line... just anything to make it less of a complete guessing game.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I understand it's a tough sport and you don't want to run the players to death but the net is way too big and the goalie is basically guessing every single time.

I wouldn't mind it so much if the shot was taken from further out or the net was reduced in size or the goalie was allowed to start off his line... just anything to make it less of a complete guessing game.

You mean they should change it to this?

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->