Official Oil Kings 2017-18 Thread

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
OKs had scout Scott Thomas announce their first draft choice. Scott's son played for Humboldt and died in the tragic crash.

Reactions: oilers'72

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

Big changes. I'm surprised they let these guys run the Bantam Draft that just happened.

I always find this strange. It happens in Junior alot. Kids get invited to spring camp, and by the time they get there the guy who sent the letter is gone. These guys run the draft, could be drafting building blocks for several years...but then gone.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

Big changes. I'm surprised they let these guys run the Bantam Draft that just happened.

Perhaps the offer came too close to the bantam draft to make any changes or came immediately after. Hansch still knew the team and would've been analyzing the draft choices. Any new guy would've had to have done so on their own time, which I doubt one would do. Releasing Hamilton and Marsh could've just been cleaning house for the new GM.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Who should or could run the draft? These guys brought the team to that point. You can't really bring new guys in to run a draft into which they have had no input.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wonder what plans PC has for replacements. Just hire a President type of deal and let him make all the hiring's?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'm surprised at the vitriol displayed by some of the Oil Kings fan community regarding the fired coaches and management. A strong of very angry people in circles close to the players themselves. Sounds like it was more than just running the org into the ground that resulted in the firings.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Who should or could run the draft? These guys brought the team to that point. You can't really bring new guys in to run a draft into which they have had no input.
So guys you have no faith in are counted on to supply players or select them for your team? It is a double edged sword. It basically says the new guys are not responsible until two or three years down the road after they have had a chance to work with their scouts and can blame any drafting mistakes on previous admin. I think the reason to wait until the season is done is you don't know what candidates you might have until then.

I guess I feel like if you are getting rid of a guy, then do it before big decisions are made, not after.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
So guys you have no faith in are counted on to supply players or select them for your team? It is a double edged sword. It basically says the new guys are not responsible until two or three years down the road after they have had a chance to work with their scouts and can blame any drafting mistakes on previous admin. I think the reason to wait until the season is done is you don't know what candidates you might have until then.

I guess I feel like if you are getting rid of a guy, then do it before big decisions are made, not after.
You'd rather have new guys take over a draft they had no part in prepping for? Maybe these firings should have happened two months ago and then I'd agree.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
You'd rather have new guys take over a draft they had no part in prepping for? Maybe these firings should have happened two months ago and then I'd agree.
I wouldn't have guys that were brand new run the draft. I wouldn't have guys I am going to fire run the draft. If I felt I was going to make a change I would have planned and done so long before. You would have from March 18 to May 3 to prepare if you made the change right at the end of the season.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I wouldn't have guys that were brand new run the draft. I wouldn't have guys I am going to fire run the draft. If I felt I was going to make a change I would have planned and done so long before. You would have from March 18 to May 3 to prepare if you made the change right at the end of the season.
That I agree with.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
As an OKs fan I think giving Chia the opportunity to **** up another team makes me really nervous.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm surprised at the vitriol displayed by some of the Oil Kings fan community regarding the fired coaches and management. A strong of very angry people in circles close to the players themselves. Sounds like it was more than just running the org into the ground that resulted in the firings.

Hamilton was not well liked by many of the players and that led to a slew of players quitting or asking to be traded. Losing is hard enough but when your coach is a totalitarian dick at the same time...

As for Hanch he did a poor job of recognizing when it was time to rebuild, opting for one more playoff go of it. That backfired badly and now a guy like Fix Wolansky could very well go his whole junior career without playing a playoff game.

Reactions: Supermassive

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Hamilton was not well liked by many of the players and that led to a slew of players quitting or asking to be traded. Losing is hard enough but when your coach is a totalitarian dick at the same time...

As for Hanch he did a poor job of recognizing when it was time to rebuild, opting for one more playoff go of it. That backfired badly and now a guy like Fix Wolansky could very well go his whole junior career without playing a playoff game.

I was gonna post in here about this. I saw a lot of comments the likes of "good riddance, these coaches ruined a lot of potential players careers". Sounds like things have become toxic since Hamilton took over.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Read an article yesterday saying the Oil Kings will end up with President. Might've been in that Jones article.

Have to think that PC and Nicholson will find someone that has had success in the CHL and just let him run the whole show so that PC has nothing to do with it. Which I think most would agree is how it should be anyway.

Oct 15, 2008

Take the most reasoned course of action, then do the opposite. That is the OEG. They are George Costanza.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Read an article yesterday saying the Oil Kings will end up with President. Might've been in that Jones article.

Have to think that PC and Nicholson will find someone that has had success in the CHL and just let him run the whole show so that PC has nothing to do with it. Which I think most would agree is how it should be anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->