Official Oil Kings 2017-18 Thread

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Trey Fix-Wolansky (named first star) had a goal and 2 assists as the Oil Kings (20-41-8) slicked up the Ice 4-3 in OT. Wyatt McLeod (OT winner), Brett Kemp (PP) and Connor McDonald had the other goals. Tomas Soustal and Scott Atkinson (named second star) each had 2 assists, with Kobe Mohr and Matthew Robertson added one apiece. Josh Dechaine (W 11-13-5) made 36 saves. Shots were 39-29 for Kootenay. PP was 1/1, PK was 4/4. Edmonton won 39 of 67 faceoffs.
WHL Network
Overtime Magic – Edmonton Oil Kings
http://oilkings.ca/gallery/photos-oil-kings-vs-ice-march-11-2018
Highlights: Oil Kings vs ICE – March 11, 2018 – Edmonton Oil Kings

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Trey Fix-Wolansky had a goal and 3 assists and was named first star as the Oil Kings greased the path of the Hurricanes 5-1. Tomas Soustal (PP), Nick Bowman, Colton Kehler (PP and named second star) and Connor McDonald (PP) had the other goals. Kobe Mohr (named third star) had 2 assists, with Davis Murray, David Kope, Matthew Robertson and Carter Souch adding one apiece. Josh Dechaine (W 12-13-5) made 26 saves. Shots were 35-27 OKs. PP was 3/4, PK 5/5. Lethbridge won 30 of 50 faceoffs.
WHL Network
Sweet Home Victory – Edmonton Oil Kings
http://oilkings.ca/gallery/photos-oil-kings-vs-hurricanes-march-13-2018
Highlights: Oil Kings vs Hurricanes – March 13, 2018 – Edmonton Oil Kings

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
On Saturday, David Kope scored the lone goal, with Wyatt McLeod and Davis Murray adding the assists, but the Oil Kings' empire was set in anarchy by the Hitmen 7-1. Josh Dechaine (L 12-14-5) made 12 saves on 15 shots before being pulled for the second period. Boston Bilous made 22 saves on 26 shots over the final 40 minutes. The three stars were the departing overagers: 1st star - Colton Kehler (who played his 200th WHL game), 2nd star - Tomas Soustal and 3rd star - Travis Child. Shots were 41-28 for Calgary. PP was 0/1, PK 7/9. Faceoffs were tied 29-29.
WHL Network
Oil Kings Close Out Final Home Stand with 7-1 Loss to Hitmen – Edmonton Oil Kings
Photos: Oil Kings vs Hitmen – March 17, 2018 – Edmonton Oil Kings
Highlights: Oil Kings vs Hitmen – March 17, 2018 – Edmonton Oil Kings

On Sunday, Tomas Soustal (2 PP) and Matthew Robertson (PP) both had 2 goals and an assist, as the Oil Kings (22-42-8) hung the Hitmen for treason 7-3. Brett Kemp (PP) had a goal and 2 assists, while Colton Kehler (PP) and Trey Fix-Wolansky (PP) both had a goal and an assist. Jake Neighbours had 2 assists, with Liam Keeler, Kobe Mohr and Connor McDonald added singles. Todd Scott (W 8-7-4) made 34 saves. Shots were 37-26 Calgary. PP was 6/7, PK 4/6. Calgary won 40 of 70 faceoffs.
WHL Network
Ending Fit For A King – Edmonton Oil Kings
Hitmen TV: Highlights Hitmen vs Oil Kings Mar. 18 – Calgary Hitmen

Player awards were handed out on Saturday. Connor McDomnald was named the Top Defenceman and given the Community Service award. Tomas Soustal was named Blue Willow Unsung Hero. Trey Fix-Wolansky was given the Top Scorer award and named team MVP. Ethan Cap was given the Scholastic Achievement award. Matthew Robertson was named Rookie of the Year. Colton Kehler was given the Kristians Pelss Award. David Kope was named Most Improved Player.

A season's review from the coach and GM: Season In Review – Edmonton Oil Kings

The graduating class talk about their time with the OKs and the WHL: Graduating Class – Edmonton Oil Kings

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Kootenay Ice won the lottery but they only move up to 2nd. Oil Kings retain 1st overall pick.

First 1st overall in team history.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
From everything I'd heard, Lambos was supposed to be the first pick. Wonder why the Oil Kings went a different direction. Pretty happy with Lethbridge's pick though.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Guenther looks like a decent prospect.

103 points in 30 games in the CSSHL. Can't find many scouting reports, it doesn't appear he's got all that much interest from scouts.

Last edited:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This past season, Dylan Guenther of <a href="NAXHockey (@NAXHockey) | Twitter">@NAXHockey</a> was the first student athlete to break the 100-point plateau in CSSHL Bantam Prep history en route to winning the scoring title with 103 points in 30 games. <a href="#WHLBantamDraft hashtag on Twitter">#WHLBantamDraft</a> <a href="CSSHL on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/UMbBzSbm8W</a></p>&mdash; CSSHL (@CSSHL) <a href="">May 3, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Described by one poster as a decent prospect.... To go first he'd better be a terrific prospect. It looks like the OKs went a bit off the board. If so why not trade down a few spots to grab their guy and get another player or a draft choice? Maybe my inference is wrong, I don't know. I'll tune into the Pipeline Show or check the tweets of reporters who follow the OKs.

Reactions: McGhost Division

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Described by one poster as a decent prospect.... To go first he'd better be a terrific prospect. It looks like the OKs went a bit off the board. If so why not trade down a few spots to grab their guy and get another player or a draft choice? Maybe my inference is wrong, I don't know. I'll tune into the Pipeline Show or check the tweets of reporters who follow the OKs.

Please do so, I'm literally going off stats and a couple videos. Scouting reports aren't easy to come by.

Reactions: MoneyGuy

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta

For a team that has been starved of offensive production, this looks like a decent pick. Seems a couple picks off the board though with a stud D in Lambos available and widely expected to go first overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoneyGuy

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Yeah, that seems to confirm my opinion. He'd likely be available at 5/6 so trade down. Pipeline Show for me Saturday.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm seeing a few scouts say there wasn't really a consensus and that Guenther has first overall chops.

He apparently played a lot with Matthew Savoie who is considered to be the next phenom and is backing it up. I'm definitely wondering now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->