Music: Official Metal Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Not sure how many of you are into weird old DIY recordings of bands that eventually made it big, but I ran across this in a thread on my friend's facebook about Brett Hinds being a total ****** to sound guys

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Iced Earth and Alestorm's efforts are currently sitting as my two favorites of the year. Alestorm loses some marks because Treasure Island is a bit of a plodding mess of a song, but it's a strong effort. Iced Earth's Incorruptible is just amazing. Crystal clear production, great songwriting. No appearance of the Something Wicked Saga, just 10 standalone, excellent song. "Black Flag", "Brothers" and "Clear the Way (December 13th, 1862)" are my current highlights. Firewind and Mastodon are also sitting in this tier, Immortals was a fantastic album and Emperor of Sand was brilliant.

Kreator's new album was a damn solid effort as well. A little plodding here and there but still good stuff. Dragonforce put out a good album in Reaching into Infinity.

I've still got Eluveitie and The Contortionist for anticipated albums as well. I'm liking 2017.

Stu Block is an incredible vocalist. Been a huge fan of his since Into Eternity. Hope he gets to use his chops fully in Iced Earth. They can become better than ever by far if they utilize his range and power.

I like the new Alestorm disc as well. A few songs which aren't bad but not too good, but that's usual for them. The good songs make up for it to me, they're such a fun band. I'll be seeing them in a couple weeks at Warped Tour. Can't believe I'm going to that, but with them, Hatebreed, GWAR, and Municipal Waste it'll be a fun time.

This week, I've got Metallica on Wednesday and Chicago Open Air over the weekend

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Wintersun : The Forest Seasons is coming out July 21st

Really really looking forward to this. Their first album is one of my favorite of all time. Time was good too but the first one is just better overall. If TFS can be a sort of hybrid of both it will be great.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Saw Metallica last week, did Chicago Open Air (skipped Friday) over the weekend, and will go to Warped Tour (ugh) for Hatebreed, GWAR, and Alestorm tomorrow.

Metallica was awesome, better than the last time I saw them. Volbeat was great as an opener, and Avenged Sevenfold were tolerable as direct support. Not a fan and can't name one of their songs, but I didn't check my watch every 3 minutes so I consider that a success.

Chicago Open Air, some notables:

Avatar was awesome, my first time seeing them. Their songs are hit or miss but overall enjoyable. Their opening song alone is worth seeing them, what a killer hype song.

DragonForce: have seen them before many years ago w/the other singer, they felt flat and boring now. Not bad, but quite meh.

Metal Church: they didn't even play "Metal Church", wtf. Good otherwise

Body Count: My friend was pretty anti-Body Count because he thought Ice T was just going it as a trend, but when I told him of their history and he heard them (especially w/the Slayer cover) he came around. He liked em a lot, and they were great. Bassist broke his ankle falling off the stage and played while being taken out on an upright stretcher. Then he was rolled back onto the stage and finished the set while still in it.

Mushroomhead: barely caught them, never got 'it' about them. They seem heavy and have diehards but I'm missing something I guess. I did meet them later on, and they were nice PLUS they had a little Yorkie puppy with them. So that's bonus points to them since I used to have one just like it :laugh:

Steel Panther: never saw them but have enjoyed them on Youtube. My friend was bananas for 'em but definitely hyped them a bit much. The whole set was enjoyable and their sound was solid. Songs aren't bad either and the jokey stuff between songs made for a nice break.

Clutch: Clutch has been the same since the day before forever, and even though I'd hardly call myself a fan I've caught them numerous times at various festivals. Can't say I paid ANY attention to them to them over the past 10 years, even skipping out early on their show last year after watching Zakk Sabbath (Zakk Wylde's own Black Sabbath cover band), but they were great this weekend. Makes me wish I stuck around last year to see them again, but oh well.

I entirely skipped Seether. I know nothing of 'em, was doing other stuff, and they just don't interest me. If anyone feels otherwise, give me a recommendation and I'll gladly give 'em a shot.

Godsmack: Caught the last 15 min. or so, they covered Come Together (was great) and a bit of Back in Black. Always welcome. They sounded really good and I probably would have enjoyed the rest of the set if I wasn't playing around elsewhere. Otherwise I'm not a fan at all, but being there already I would be able to get into it. I saw them at an early Ozzfest many years ago and they were definitely ****ing boring back then. This was far better just on sound and presence alone compared to what I remember.

Korn: Again not a fan but they seemed solid. I know a few of the older songs and can get into them enough to have a decent time, and I did. They played "Twist" which is a short, scat-lyric song, and not that I'd know but it would appear to be a rarity live? The crowd went insane when they started it. Funny, those "lyrics" are the most of any Korn song that I know myself.

Kyng: I liked these guys on the aforementioned Clutch/Zakk Sabbath tour, but damn did they sound small here at a huge venue. They're only a 3-piece, and nearly sounded small (but capable) in a theater, but an open air stage was too much to overcome. Not bad, did their thing well, but overall another 'meh' rating.

Devildriver: peculiar band for me. I don't dislike them, haven't really listened to anything of theirs much, but again I keep seeing them at fest shows. They REALLY kicked ass here, and were a highlight of the day. Whatever songs they played were pretty damn good.

Demon Hunter & Hellyeah: Other bands I can get into but aren't too familiar with. DH was heavier of course, Hellyeah seemed a bit boring. I didn't know the Mudvayne guy still dresses up crazy, he seemed out of place for sure.

Behemeth: Another band that always delivers what you expect. Last time I saw them was in total daylight just like this, at Ozzfest around 2010 or something. They were better here.

Amon Amarth: ah, here we go. A band I've seen what must be over a dozen times by now. Their show just gets bigger & bigger with fire, viking ships, staged battles, fire, and more fire. Can never complain about these guys.

Lamb of God: have seen them a few times as well, they were good but I wish they played a couple more I knew well. They're another one that are very hit or miss. Always enjoyable but some songs just haven't got the IT factor and I always pass on 'em.

Stone Sour: always hated them just because, but they put on a good show. My friend loved them and I guess helped me get into it, and again I was already there so that makes it easier. I wouldn't see them on purpose but I had a good time.

Slayer: God damn it, I had to skip Slayer as they were on the 2nd stage and I was already staking my claim in the pit for Ozzy. I have seen them over a dozen times so that's a saving grace, but still I always love Slayer. At least I saw them last year so I can't feel too bad. I HEAR they were good. Wish they broadcasted their show on the screens at the main stage for everyone else to watch, but alas...

OZZY: That's the whole reason my friend flew over this way and we made the trip. We're absolute diehard Ozzy fans. There are many things that happened during this whole weekend, this day, these hours leading up to Ozzy that will go down in friendship history and add to the greatness of this show. Now I've seen a lot of bands a lot of times, but Ozzy is nearing the 30x count at this point and I'll never not go ****ing nuts for him. I was right on the gate until I got a text that my friend was in concert jail, so I left during the last couple songs to try to find him. He's lucky he didn't get arrested or at least kicked out, and I'm lucky security didn't come looking for me. Like I said, we had a pretty wild time leading up to this one :laugh: Anyway, he sounded great as he has in recent years. As good as the Sabbath tours and better than the 2013 Sabbath tour. Better than 2010, at which time he was better than prior years in the '00s while back on drugs and/or drinking. Zakk was Zakk, and you pretty much either love or hate him. We happen to love 'em. He didn't play anything totally groundbreaking (like in 2010 when he played Fire In The Sky and Killer of Giants, which floored me), but he did break out No More Tears, I Don't Want To Change The World, and Shot In The Dark again. Played 90 minutes and kicked ass! I only wish it was a full tour, I'd be going to anything within 4 hours or so driving distance.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Undergang is great live. Saw them last year and it was terrific. Not happy they skipped Philly on this tour, but I understand why (their tourmates, Necrot, only had like 6 people show up last time they played Philly).

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Anyone into the doom band Pallbearer? Checked them out because they're opening for Gojira on a few dates, really enjoying their stuff. Very melodic, memorable riffs.

Augscura

Oct 3, 2009
Prince George, BC
Alright friends, looking for some black metal recommendations based on my tastes. I love groups/projects like Blut Aus Nord (even the industrial stuff), Skaphe, Aureole, old Emperor, Dissection's first 2 albums, Burzum's Hvis lyset tar oss and Filosofem, The Ruins of Beverast, Deathspell Omega. Not particularly a fan of Portal worship groups like Impetuous Ritual but bands like Abyssal can persuade me otherwise.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Saw the Undergang logo and thought Rompeprop(One of my fav live acts!) and Impetigo.

Undergang is worthy of the logo lol

PennDanzig

R.I.P. PIMP C
Mar 1, 2016
Alright friends, looking for some black metal recommendations based on my tastes. I love groups/projects like Blut Aus Nord (even the industrial stuff), Skaphe, Aureole, old Emperor, Dissection's first 2 albums, Burzum's Hvis lyset tar oss and Filosofem, The Ruins of Beverast, Deathspell Omega. Not particularly a fan of Portal worship groups like Impetuous Ritual but bands like Abyssal can persuade me otherwise.

Hmmm. I really like this record, has a dark ambient tinge with the OG hypnotic riffing.

also:

Last edited:

Augscura

Oct 3, 2009
Prince George, BC

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Wintersun : The Forest Seasons is coming out July 21st

Really really looking forward to this. Their first album is one of my favorite of all time. Time was good too but the first one is just better overall. If TFS can be a sort of hybrid of both it will be great.

It's pretty solid, but it's not as good as Time I.

I just want Time II already. The hype I've heard for "Silver Leaves" has me chomping at the bit.

New Ensiferum announced for September as well which I'm super stoked about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad