Official Jim Robson Division Round 1 Results:Edmonton Oilers vs Victoria Salmon Kings

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 1: Let the goaltending duel of the century begin. The shots in regulation, 47-35 in favour of Victoria. The score. 0-0. Sawchuk and Roy dominate the game. First overtime. No score, shots 10-8 Victoria. Second overtime, shots 9-6 Edmonton, late in the period, Joe Neiuwendyk finds the five-hole in close.

Victoria wins 1-0 in OT

Game 2: Bob Gainey was not going to let that loss get the team down. Gainey, seemingly singlehandedly, keeps the Salmon Kings top line completely off the score sheet, not even a shot on goal. Although Sutter and Provost are certainly a factor in that. Sawchuk stops all but a quick wrister from the right side by Gartner. Gainey quickly responds with the tieing goal, deflecting a Pilote shot. 1-1 and going back into overtime, but, this time, Teeder Kennedy isn't going to let the game last so long, getting a backhand blocker side goal two minutes in.

Edmonton wins 2-1

Game 3: Kennedy again gets an early goal on Roy, this time in the first period. And then, the Oilers clamp down and let virtually nothing through, the chances the Salmon Kings can get are turned aside by Sawchuk. Darryl Sittler and Lanny MacDonald hook up for the insurance goal.

Edmonton wins 2-0

Game 4: Sergei Fedorov had his fill of Oiler dominance and shows why he one of the best. Shadowing Kennedy and scoring a beautiful breakaway goal. Mid way through the second, Glenn Anderson ties it up. And early in the second Brian Sutter scores on a one timer set up by Pilote. Despite Fedorov's 5 shots in the period. Sawchuk can't be beat again.

Edmonton wins 2-1

Game 5: And once again, a goaltending duel. No score in regulation. Shots 45-45. Mid way through the first overtime, Ilya Kovalchuk gets a breakaway, but a great second effort by Leetch knocks the puck off his stick, right to Ted Kennedy, wrist shot. IT'S ALL OVER!

Edmonton wins 1-0 in OT

Three Stars:
3rd Star: Patrick Roy
2nd Star: Ted Kennedy
1st Star: Terry Sawchuk

The Edmonton Oilers win the series 4-1

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Wow, great series summary Nalyd...............:handclap:

Hats off to a good competitor in Hedberg, I know you'll be around for the next draft and I look forward to having you there again.

All-right, bring on Gretzky and his Burnaby Mountaineers. I've got a bit of a lesson on defense for you............:hit:

Gretzky -----> :dainty:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I'm definitely not surprised by this, and I don't think anyone else should be, either. (Well, except maybe for Hedberg). This Edmonton team is now in their element, and I know I'm sure glad that I won't have to face them in the next round. (Although I will certainly have my hands full with Toronto). With the exception of a true game-breaker forward, this Edmonton team has everything you'd ever want in a team.

The Edmonton/Burnaby series should be the best of the second round. It's a battle between two teams loaded with gritty, playoff-proven champions. I think it'll go a very gruelling seven games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->