Official IFHL draft, round 6/8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacketracket*

Modano = God said:
Yeah, and the biggest reason for that is that GM's don't always wait till one of the commishes anounces that he's up or doesn't pick untill hets a PM telling him to. More and more take the responsibility to make it faster, by posting who's up, PM'ing GM's more then once, etc, etc..

So, don't always wait on me or another commish for notifying who's up and such.
Point taken.

But what happens when someone misreads the draft order, assumes someone else has been on the clock too long, and makes a pick, only to find out that he was wrong.

Who resolves the ensuing brouhaha?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary select Richard Zednik

Calgary Flames

Forwards:
Kristian Huselius- Sergei Fedorov - Brendan Shanahan
Richard Zednik-Patrick Elias - Jeff Friesen
Brenden Morrow- _________ - _________
_________ - _________ - _________

Defense:
Kim Johnsson - _________
_________ - _________
_________ - _________

Goal:
JocelynThibault
Tommy Salo

:bow: :bow:
controneoa is on the clock

rework

Sep 12, 2002
Visit site
jacketracket said:
Point taken.

But what happens when someone misreads the draft order, assumes someone else has been on the clock too long, and makes a pick, only to find out that he was wrong.

Who resolves the ensuing brouhaha?

That's a good point because the GM who jumped the gun has now tipped his hand and there's a chance that someone before him may now say "Ooooh, I didn't think about taking THAT player"....

But as long as the MODs can keep the front page up to date (it's a few picks behind as I write this) people should be confident in making their picks quickly.

rework

Sep 12, 2002
Visit site
jin said:
I just wanted to say, if anyone cares, that I am pretty strongly against a two players per pick rule. The people who traded their picks would be screwed and the people who pick late would really be screwed. Just not a good thing to do IMO.

edit: I say this as a mid table pick who has traded for extra picks late.

This is NOT hard to work around. Instead of thinking of it as 2 picks per round, think of it as 2 rounds per pick. A team's 10th and 11th picks are taken together. If one was traded, the current owner makes a pick. On the snaking back, GMs take their 12th and 13th picks.

Yes some picks get shifted around a bit, but is the difference between the 300th and 310th pick really that much? And it will speed up the draft. As it is, we will never get done before the start of the season.

jacketracket*

rework said:
That's a good point because the GM who jumped the gun has now tipped his hand and there's a chance that someone before him may now say "Ooooh, I didn't think about taking THAT player"....

But as long as the MODs can keep the front page up to date (it's a few picks behind as I write this) people should be confident in making their picks quickly.
I agree. And with this new draft thread format, it's easier to determine who's on the clock---that wasn't the case yesterday, when I was trying to figure out who was up.

Focker

Sep 5, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
rework said:
This is NOT hard to work around. Instead of thinking of it as 2 picks per round, think of it as 2 rounds per pick. A team's 10th and 11th picks are taken together. If one was traded, the current owner makes a pick. On the snaking back, GMs take their 12th and 13th picks.

Yes some picks get shifted around a bit, but is the difference between the 300th and 310th pick really that much? And it will speed up the draft. As it is, we will never get done before the start of the season.

If i traded away my 11th round pick, and we were to start it at the 10th round, my 11th pick moved up 46 spots which makes it much more valuable.

It seems to me as though this idea is something that should have been agreed upon before the draft started. Implementing this now seems to be make things unbalanced for those who have traded away odd round picks.

Cheers,

Oilers GM...

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
rework said:

While there really isn't that much difference between the 300th and 310th pick we are talking about 2 rounds here, IMO there is a big difference between the 300th and 360th pick or even the 330th and 360th pick which is guaranteed to happen under the new format. If you really want to speed the draft up cut the time to make picks down to 3 hours (or 2 even). That way instead of changing the order we are just cutting the maximum time in half. We'll have more skipped picks but they can be made up quickly. Also, what's the big deal if we finish the draft a little ways into the season? I don't think 3-4 games is gonna really be a big deal when we're picking AHLers.

Finally, let's try to finish the 15th round this weekend. That would put us on pace to finish the draft by the start of the season. What time is the live draft?

jacketracket*

Maybe I'm not seeing this clearly, but if we implemented the 'double pick' deal, couldn't any previously traded picks simply be interjected into the draft, when that draft position comes up?

In Focker's scenario, the 11th he traded might be interjected into the draft at the position it would have originally come due. We would do the double-pick thing until the traded 11th's original spot came due, and then that pick would be made.

Does this make sense, or would this simply make things more confusing?

rework

Sep 12, 2002
Visit site
What is the latest round pick that's been traded so far? We can certainly start double picks after that point.

And for any late round pick trades made from this point on, GMs should be aware that we may implement double picking at some point.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
rework said:
What is the latest round pick that's been traded so far? We can certainly start double picks after that point.

And for any late round pick trades made from this point on, GMs should be aware that we may implement double picking at some point.

Forget the double pick system, I have no intesions implying that what so ever. At least, not before we finished the first 2 live drafts.

jacketracket*

jin said:
While there really isn't that much difference between the 300th and 310th pick we are talking about 2 rounds here, IMO there is a big difference between the 300th and 360th pick or even the 330th and 360th pick which is guaranteed to happen under the new format. If you really want to speed the draft up cut the time to make picks down to 3 hours (or 2 even). That way instead of changing the order we are just cutting the maximum time in half. We'll have more skipped picks but they can be made up quickly. Also, what's the big deal if we finish the draft a little ways into the season? I don't think 3-4 games is gonna really be a big deal when we're picking AHLers.

Finally, let's try to finish the 15th round this weekend. That would put us on pace to finish the draft by the start of the season. What time is the live draft?
The only problem I have with this is those early morning picks. I got stuck in this spot yesterday---3:00 or 4:00 am, and I had no idea who was on the clock.

Granted, the new draft thread format will help w/that.

But, in the wee hrs. of the morning, who's online to post the PMed picks of those who went to bed?

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
jacketracket said:
The only problem I have with this is those early morning picks. I got stuck in this spot yesterday---3:00 or 4:00 am, and I had no idea who was on the clock.

Granted, the new draft thread format will help w/that.

But, in the wee hrs. of the morning, who's online to post the PMed picks of those who went to bed?

I agree that is a problem but you can't tell me that it isn't a problem with 6hrs, a lot of people work 8 hour shifts or spend upto 12 hours at school on some days. Still, they get their pick skipped and make it up later, no big deal. Also, atleast this way a person gets their pick skipped and looses maybe 0-10 (10 is a really generous maximum) pick positions. If we implement a double pick system there will deffinetly be movement of at least 60 spots for picks. That is way more unfair. I'm glad M=G has decided not to implement this but I hope he doesn't mind us talking about it.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Deal to announce:

To LA: Elias, Thibault, 7th (Atl)
To Calgary: Bertuzzi, 13th.

Calgary Flames

Forwards:
Todd Bertuzzi- Sergei Fedorov - Brendan Shanahan
Richard Zednik - Jeff Friesen- Kristian Huselius
Brenden Morrow- _________ - _________
_________ - _________ - _________

Defense:
Kim Johnsson - _________
_________ - _________
_________ - _________

Goal:
Tommie Salo

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Hard working Flames GM, DFF said: " There is only 1 Bertuzzi" :D , actually LA GM said that.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
bloodyrags select Chuck Kobasew (RW)

Funkychicken is on the clock

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
i still want a 6th round pick , ill give my 7th and my 2nd rookie pick .

OR

Your 6th and your 15th for my 7th and my 12th

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
vsmith selects Michael Nylander.

Cayouche5 is on the clock

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
DutchLeafsfan selects:

1. Maxime Ouelette

The_Future is on the clock

Status