HF Habs: Official Habs Mock Draft 2018 Edition - Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Vancouver selects Mathias Emilio Pettersen (C) from the Muskegon Lumberjacks of the USHL.

Pettersen will attend University of Denver this coming season after a good but not great season with Muskegon.

A smallish center Pettersen still has solid strength, a good skating base & tremendous quickness which he uses to attack the net. Not a perimeter player, he loves to drive the net off give and goes. A pass first player with good vision. D game is not great but is improving.

And that's it for Vancouver.

1. Evan Bouchard (RD) - OHL
2. Jacob Olofsson (C) - Sweden
3. Filip Kral (LD) - WHL
5. Yegor Sokolov (RW) - QMJHL
6. Amir Miftakhov (G) - MHL
7. Mathias Emilio Pettersen (C) - USHL

6 picks. No 4th rd. I feel the top 3 picks all have NHL upside. The bottom 3 are projects with skills/potential.

Was actually one of the kids I had on my rushed out 'list' for my last pick, mainly cause of his early internet sensation status :laugh:

But who knows, he got skills and ok stats in the USHL, maybe he'll find another gear at the next level. Nice gamble for sure.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Was actually one of the kids I had on my rushed out 'list' for my last pick, mainly cause of his early internet sensation status :laugh:

But who knows, he got skills and ok stats in the USHL, maybe he'll find another gear at the next level. Nice gamble for sure.

Yeah, :laugh: the YouTube kid grows up. Good gamble at this late stage. I wanted to take another D, but couldn't pass on him. He should get drafted in the late rounds, but we'll see.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
:hawks Chicago Blackhawks select from Brynäs IF J20, Samuel Ersson.

gsB8l2v.jpg

That rounds it out for Chicago.

1(8) Jesperi Kotkaniemi - C Liiga
1(31) Alexander Alexeyev - D WHL
3(69) Daniil Zhuravlyov - D MHL
3(87) Sampo Ranta - RW USHL
4(124) Toni Utunen - D Mestis
5(142) Yegor Sharangovich - C KHL
6(162) Matthew Struthers - C OHL
7(193) Samuel Ersson - G SuperElit

All in all, I'm happy with how it turned out. Super stoked with the top 3 (have Alexeyev at 18 and Zhuravlyov at 42 on my list). Ranta's okay, he's fine as a late 3rd. Utunen and Struthers, not the sexiest picks but both real solid players. Love the upside with Sharangovich. And then some decent value with Ersson.

pm'd Ottawa @WeThreeKings

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
With the 194th pick in the 2018 NHL draft and our final selection, the Ottawa Senators are proud to select defenseman Axel Bergkvist

"While his size is not ideal at 5'8", there's no denying his talent. Bergkvist has an absolute bomb of a shot, both slap and wrist and he absolutely picks apart teams defensive posture with outlet passes on the tape that allows his teammates to hit their stride. Due to his size, he will be limited in his role at the next level but believe that he can carve out a niche being a bottom pairing defenseman who is relied upon to bring offense in tight games and excel on the first powerplay unit. We will take that gamble in the last round of the draft."

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That ends my draft for Ottawa.. here's my team recap:

4. Oliver Wahlstrom - RW USHL (Rated 4th on my list)
22. Filip Hallander - LW Allsvenskan (Ranked 14th)
95. Eric Florchuk - C WHL (Ranked 61st)
126. Pavel Gogolev - RW OHL (Ranked 64th)
157. Angus Crookshank - C BCHL (Ranked 83rd)
188. Justus Annunen - G Fin (Ranked 87th)
196. Axel Bergkvist - D Allsvenskan (Ranked 113th)

I'm pretty happy with the talent I've injected into the Ottawa Senators with this draft.

I managed to nab one of the best snipers in the draft with Wahlstrom.
One of the best wingers in the draft with Hallander who is going to be an all around threat and especially useful on the powerplay around the net.
Florchuk gives the Senators a pro-style center who can play middle six and create offense while being responsible.
Gogolev is a sniper with a lot of speed to burn, a utility player who could play up and down the line up similar to a Michael Grabner,
Crookshank is a dark horse pick with a lot of talent.
Annunen gives me one of the best goalies in the draft with a ton of upside
Bergkvist is a risk on pure talent alone.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Hmm. I could go safer on someone who I believe will make the NHL as a top 9 player, or go boom or bust. I'll go with the latter. Oilers are very pleased to conclude their draft by picking the Russian German Grachyov. @sandviper is otc and pmed

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Recap for the Oilers:
10. Edmonton: Ty Smith. Excellent skater with a great 2way game.
40. Edmonton: Calen Addison. Excellent skater who put up some serious points.
71. Edmonton: Semyon Der-Arguchintsev. Youngest player in the draft on a garbage team who produced well, great offensive skillset.
133. Edmonton: Brendan Budy. Good skillset and did very well in the bchl.
164. Edmonton: Jerry Turkulainen. Tiny overager that produced a lot in a men's league. I don't think he gets drafted, but at this point why not gamble.
195. Edmonton: German Grachyov. Admittingly, I don't know much about him. I do like the fact that he tore up the MHL and was pretty easily his team's best player.

Overall, I think I did alright.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
With our final pick at #196, the New York Islanders are happy to select from the London Knights (OHL), Jordan Kooy, G

Capture.PNG

Playing behind Raaymakers, we preferred the younger of the two netminders. While this is his second year with the Knights, he was still considered a rookie this past season. He doubled his workload from the year prior and lead all OHL rookies statistically. With overager Raaymakers moving on, we expect Jordan to take a prominant role with the Knights next season.

@Mrb1p PM'd and OTC.

NYI Picks for 2018:
11. Vitali Kravtsov
12. Brady Tkachuk
41. Jesse Ylonen
43: Liam Foudy
72: Niklas Nordgren
103: Dmitry Zavgorodniy
134: Xavier Bouchard
196: Jordan Kooy

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The Carolina Hurricanes draft so far.

#2 Andrei Svechnikov, RW, Barrie Colts, OHL. 6'02" 190 Lbs.

#42 Cole Fonstad, F, Prince Albert Raiders, WHL, 5'11, 170 Lbs.

#73 Milos Roman, C, Vancouver Giants, WHL, 5'11, 190 Lbs.

#104 Tyler Weiss, F, USNDTP, 5'11, 160 Lbs.

#166 Christian Lindberg, D, Allsvenskan, 6'1", 161 Lbs.

#197 Martin Pospisil, RW, USHL, 6'2", 181 LBS.

In hindsight, I don't like my 5th pick, I like Lindberg and all, but there's some quality assets still on the board at that point and it completely went over my head. Still, I think it's a really good draft. The Canes are a team young enough that can afford a few higher end or longer term projects like Fonstad, Roman and Weiss, plus Svechnikov makes you win the draft no matter what you pick after.

SWRekker

Oct 8, 2009
Calgary selects, from the HK Hradec Kralove of the Czech Extraliga :

Defenseman Radim Salda

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
With our final pick at #196, the New York Islanders are happy to select from the London Knights (OHL), Jordan Kooy, G

View attachment 122245

Playing behind Raaymakers, we preferred the younger of the two netminders. While this is his second year with the Knights, he was still considered a rookie this past season. He doubled his workload from the year prior and lead all OHL rookies statistically. With overager Raaymakers moving on, we expect Jordan to take a prominant role with the Knights next season.

@Mrb1p PM'd and OTC.

NYI Picks for 2018:
11. Vitali Kravtsov
12. Brady Tkachuk
41. Jesse Ylonen

Kooy is an excellent pick. He's definitely getting drafted. He's a good goalie prospect.

Really solid draft for NYI. I noticed you didn't draft a D though.

For what some are calling a defensemen's draft, it really isn't. After the 2nd round, it really thins out for D prospects. A ton of centers & forward prospects from 3-7, with some decent goaltending prospects mingled in. It's not a real deep draft on defense.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
:stars

Dallas selects Jesper Sellgren!

DQchfqCUIAEhU1P.jpg

1(13): Joel Farabee
2(44): Jack McBain
3(75): Johnny Gruden
4(100): Nathan Dunkley
4(106): Linus Karlsson
5(137): Krystof Hrabik
6(168): Marc Del Gaizo
7(199): Jesper Sellgren

pming

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Kooy is an excellent pick. He's definitely getting drafted. He's a good goalie prospect.

Really solid draft for NYI. I noticed you didn't draft a D though.

For what some are calling a defensemen's draft, it really isn't. After the 2nd round, it really thins out for D prospects. A ton of centers & forward prospects from 3-7, with some decent goaltending prospects mingled in. It's not a real deep draft on defense.

Oh, seems I missed a name on my list as I did pick a defenceman (Bouchard):

NYI Picks for 2018:
11. Vitali Kravtsov
12. Brady Tkachuk
41. Jesse Ylonen

I do agree though that it was hard to pick defencemen as BPA with the forwards still available. That said, I was hoping to grab Ty Smith with my first pick, but he was swooped from me.

Kooy I really like. Before I edited my post, I was thinking about Raaymakers given that he was the starter and had the better stats. However, I weighed the fact he was an overager and has been what I feel inconsistent in his CHL career. Kooy will be the go-to guy next year, and I thought was great value in the 7th round.

I think this was a great haul for the Isles. Helps to have a relatively low finish and 2 first round picks. Kravtsov I wasn’t sure I should have taken that early as I really liked Farabee. However, I think if Kravtsov booms, he’ll make me look like a genius. I also weighed this decision with the intention of grabbing Tkachuk anyways... the safer pick of the two.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

NYI Picks for 2018:
11. Vitali Kravtsov
12. Brady Tkachuk
41. Jesse Ylonen

I do agree though that it was hard to pick defencemen as BPA with the forwards still available. That said, I was hoping to grab Ty Smith with my first pick, but he was swooped from me.

Kooy I really like. Before I edited my post, I was thinking about Raaymakers given that he was the starter and had the better stats. However, I weighed the fact he was an overager and has been what I feel inconsistent in his CHL career. Kooy will be the go-to guy next year, and I thought was great value in the 7th round.

I think this was a great haul for the Isles. Helps to have a relatively low finish and 2 first round picks. Kravtsov I wasn’t sure I should have taken that early as I really liked Farabee. However, I think if Kravtsov booms, he’ll make me look like a genius. I also weighed this decision with the intention of grabbing Tkachuk anyways... the safer pick of the two.

Thats a solid draft.

Reactions: sandviper

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
:kings
20-Bode Wilde - D
51-Jake Wise - C
82-Ryan O'Reilly - RW
113-Martin Fehérvary - D
144-Simon Johansson - D
165-Michal Kvasnica - W
175-Kirill Rozhkov - W

Very satisfied with my draft. Wish I would have been able to grab one of my top 15 in the draft, but you guys were on point for sure! I like Wilde's potential and I feel like his lack of hockey sense is more a problem with forcing plays and taking bad décisions, but that it's magnified because he has the puck a lot.

Ecstatic about Wise at 51, I'd love him in MTL at 35 or 38. Big fan of O'Reilly too. I have him top 60, so to get him at 82 was another win for me. Not sure what Fehérvary's role will be in the NHL, but I think he has the tools to make it there. Same for Johansson, really.

Kvasnica is kind of a project, but not a guy with high end skill; more of a 3rd line option down the line, but he has tools. Rozhkov really is boom or bust, but at that point, I feel like that's what the Kings need (any team really, actually!)

Can't wait to see how the actual draft pans out, but I'm happy with my crop.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
With pick #200 the St. Louis Blues select from Central Illinois of the USHL G Zach Stejskal

SPLZWA8G_400x400.jpg

GM says: "He was the starter for Grand Rapids when they won their first state championship since 1980 but then he went to the worst team in the USHL instead of staying for his senior year. Got absolutely shelled and ended up on the bottom of the goalie rankings with horrible stats. He is committed to a great school in the UMD Bulldogs but not until 2019 and another year with the Flying Aces will teach him how to move his 6'5 frame in order to deal with a ton of rubber flying at him."

Next GM PMed

Last edited:

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
Thanks for letting me join late, great mock draft as always!

St.Louis Blues Draft Recap
1st-D Jett Woo (not my pick, would have taken K'Andre Miller)
2nd-D Adam Ginning (not my pick, would have taken Cam Hillis)
3rd-C Tyler Madden
4th-RW Riley Sutter
5th-RW Jackson Perbix
6th-D Seth Barton
7th-G Zach Stejskal

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

NYI Picks for 2018:
11. Vitali Kravtsov
12. Brady Tkachuk
41. Jesse Ylonen

Nice draft. Heavy on wingers IMO, but those four first picks are incredible.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Nice draft. Heavy on wingers IMO, but those four first picks are incredible.

There were 2 defencemen and I wanted in rounds 4-5 but both players were snatched up just before me. I also know I took a couple smallish wingers as well.

Actually, the first 5 picks I am extremely happy with. Also happy about getting both Bouchard and Kooy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad