OT: Official Golf Thread - One small golf tip lands Matt Kuchar in deep rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Brookmeadow 41-38=79

sweeeeeeeeeeeet, early season sub 80 round, nice.

Only played twice thus far, first round, a solid 82, second round, same course, 89 with an ever consistent 48-41, actually hit 5 greens in reg on the front but the course I played on is all about position on the greens and my distance control was putrid on the front nine and had multiple 3 putts, much better on the back

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
sweeeeeeeeeeeet, early season sub 80 round, nice.

Only played twice thus far, first round, a solid 82, second round, same course, 89 with an ever consistent 48-41, actually hit 5 greens in reg on the front but the course I played on is all about position on the greens and my distance control was putrid on the front nine and had multiple 3 putts, much better on the back
Thanks. It was odd because I couldn't find the fairway all morning.
FIR's: 36%
GIR's: 50%
Putting: 1.78

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Thanks. It was odd because I couldn't find the fairway all morning.
FIR's: 36%
GIR's: 50%
Putting: 1.78

odd game for sure. I don`t know my stats from the first round of the year but probably looked the same as yours, playing almost all approaches from the rough, biggest difference for me was distance control but if I were looking at things realistically, it rained very heavily the two previous days preceding my first round and the course was at it`s most forgiving.

Round 2 was just odd, beginning of the year my tendency is I don`t hit certain clubs as far as I do come mid season but I was making solid contact and I just misjudged distances I`d be able to hit certain clubs this early. All in all, pretty happy with the first two rounds of the year. Playing Friday, more will be revealed

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
First round of the year. Pulled my clubs out of storage on Wednesday and didn't even hit the range. Played with my son at Granite Hills. 55-47 - 102. If not for a 10 when I was remembering how to swing, I might have broken 100 for the first time in like 5 years. (Maybe more) [Probably more]

Felt great to swing the sticks again.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
First round of the year. Pulled my clubs out of storage on Wednesday and didn't even hit the range. Played with my son at Granite Hills. 55-47 - 102. If not for a 10 when I was remembering how to swing, I might have broken 100 for the first time in like 5 years. (Maybe more) [Probably more]

Felt great to swing the sticks again.

good score for first round going in completely cold

Was to play Friday but weather didn`t quite agree, hitting the links today, haven`t swung clubs in a few weeks so expectations are low but looking like a beauty day here to hit this course with a neighbour whose a Marshall there and snagged me a terrific rate

Glen Arbour

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Battled hard for an 87 yesterday. Hadn`t picked up a club in 2 weeks which would explain some rough shots in and around the greens but in all honesty, didn`t hit it great, just scrambled well. Only 3rd round of the year and I don`t put much in the way of expectations on my game this time of year. While sunny, got really chilly on the back nine and I`m a cold weather wuss when it comes to golf. Had a few bright spots, made a nice sand save which is rare for me and drained a ridiculously long putt (guessing about 50-60 footer).........that putt was for bogie:)

Just grateful to be out and about

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This year has been a slog for me. The good shots are few and far between lately

First 5-10 rounds for me are always a "slog" especially if I`m only playing once a week or sometimes once every 2 weeks. When playing that little, all I can hope for is to maintain and hold on, can`t really expect much in the way of improvement. I have golf dates lined up for this Friday and Sunday, first time this year I`ve played twice in a week. I`m hoping the 2nd of those two rounds I`ll see some decent results but I still don`t hold out hopes for a sub 80 round this time of year.

A few years ago I was playing to a 7 handicap but was also playing twice a week. These days, usually a once a week player and probably in the 10-13 handicap range which I`m more than ok with

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
After a trying to get my game back in shape while trying to play with a back injury things are starting to come together. Short game is what is hurting me now. I am hitting good tee shots and approach shots, but scoring with the short game is something that has really hurt me lately.

I have yet to break 90 this season, which is disappointing to me because of how well I have struck the golf ball.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
First 5-10 rounds for me are always a "slog" especially if I`m only playing once a week or sometimes once every 2 weeks. When playing that little, all I can hope for is to maintain and hold on, can`t really expect much in the way of improvement. I have golf dates lined up for this Friday and Sunday, first time this year I`ve played twice in a week. I`m hoping the 2nd of those two rounds I`ll see some decent results but I still don`t hold out hopes for a sub 80 round this time of year.

A few years ago I was playing to a 7 handicap but was also playing twice a week. These days, usually a once a week player and probably in the 10-13 handicap range which I`m more than ok with
For some reason, my first round of the Spring usually ends up being one of my best, so unfortunately I'm not expecting to improve as the summer goes on. I'm guessing it's muscle memory taking over before I get too involved with swing thoughts, and trying to do too much. Sure would like to break 100 again this summer, but I'm not sure I'm going to get to play all that much this year.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
For some reason, my first round of the Spring usually ends up being one of my best, so unfortunately I'm not expecting to improve as the summer goes on. I'm guessing it's muscle memory taking over before I get too involved with swing thoughts, and trying to do too much. Sure would like to break 100 again this summer, but I'm not sure I'm going to get to play all that much this year.

it`s just one of those games that, for the most part, is so tough to improve on if we aren`t able to play much. I have confidence that said, you WILL break 100 this summer:thumbu:

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Played with my 8y son last Sunday. It was his 3rd 18 holes in his life. He made his first par ever and it was not on a par 3. Shot 57 on the back 9. He’s still smiling.

I played my first 18 this year on Sunday and I shot a 57 on the front followed up by an even worse number on the back.... bested by an 8 year old. Sweet. However, my entire body was hurt/sore and I toughed it out. Hoping this Sunday I turn it around

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If i get 2-3 pars a round I'm happy. I'm a 92 average, haha.

That's insane.

92 is nothing to scoff at. The majority of golfers struggle to break 100. I`ll often toss the sticks in the car and join a foursome of strangers, it`s the rarity not the norm that in those groups anyone breaks 100.

I am fortunate to have a good group of buddies who I often play with, of the dozen or so, only myself and two others are sub 100 golfers.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
playing while putting off shoulder surgery is an adventure to say the least. short irons arent affected much, but long irons and woods are running 10-20 yards shorter than normal...mostly because Im a lefty and its my left shoulder (back shoulder in the swing)

bleeding some shots from coming up short on clubs and admittedly bad putting. last few times went 81 at Wannamoisett and 82 at Crestwood and 85 at Swansea.

bright side i guess is its forcing me to get better at course management and planning out holes, haha

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Played already twice this year which is ahead of my average 5-7 times a year for the past 20 years.

Played a lot as a junior from 14-20y but not so much since as time is short with the kids sports and all. Was a 2-5 handicap back then. 78-85 is my new range...

Good shots are still there but too many bad miscue evrery now and then under 100yds right now. I have a very good Mulligan game tough as I don't miss much and we can take another one ball when it happens. Driving 275-300 is also a big asset.

Played 82 and 83 in my first two games. Last game, I had two eagle putts in the same game and ended with par both times. Putting awfully as costed me plenty of strokes in those rounds...

Excited for this season as my son new interest for the sport give me the chance to play more.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Played already twice this year which is ahead of my average 5-7 times a year for the past 20 years.

Played a lot as a junior from 14-20y but not so much since as time is short with the kids sports and all. Was a 2-5 handicap back then. 78-85 is my new range...

Good shots are still there but too many bad miscue evrery now and then under 100yds right now. I have a very good Mulligan game tough as I don't miss much and we can take another one ball when it happens. Driving 275-300 is also a big asset.

Played 82 and 83 in my first two games. Last game, I had two eagle putts in the same game and ended with par both times. Putting awfully as costed me plenty of strokes in those rounds...

Excited for this season as my son new interest for the sport give me the chance to play more.

hahaha, nothing makes me angrier than putting for birdie and walking off with a bogey.

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
I've put in about 6 rounds of 18 and 5 quick 9s.
I'm a member at Osprey Ridge in Bridgewater NS, and love to play other places when the chance arises.

ODAAT, when are you coming to hit em?

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

I 3 putted last Sunday on first hole for Bogey. I would rather slice into the woods off the tee than 3 putt

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I've put in about 6 rounds of 18 and 5 quick 9s.
I'm a member at Osprey Ridge in Bridgewater NS, and love to play other places when the chance arises.

ODAAT, when are you coming to hit em?

We`ll put something together for something this month, usually off Friday`s through Sunday`s (bankers hours) but Friday`s work the best, I can put the puppy in daycare and head on down. Played Brunello yesterday, managed to get around using the same ball which is rare there, hit it well enough to carve out an 84 with 2 penalty strokes so I was pretty happy with that.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad