OT: Official Golf Thread - One small golf tip lands Matt Kuchar in deep rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Does anyone have any advice on eliminating a slice? I'm a left hand player and I have a atrocious slice! I have to aim to the extreme right to get my ball in the fairway. I am losing a lot of distance and its making me nuts lol
Thanks for any help

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Does anyone have any advice on eliminating a slice? I'm a left hand player and I have a atrocious slice! I have to aim to the extreme right to get my ball in the fairway. I am losing a lot of distance and its making me nuts lol
Thanks for any help

by no means am I a golf pro nor would I give unsolicited advice however, you asked. I too am a lefty so this may help a touch but I make no guarantees

First thing first that worked for me, the address of the ball and where am I putting the ball in my stance. I play no shot, no club with the ball at the furthest, in the middle of my stance. I used to play my wedges/P-wedge etc far too much back in my stance.

With driver off tee, ball lined up with the heel of my lead foot no further forward, no further back.

I used to be a slicer too and now my tendency is to pull a bit more but I started getting comfortable with closing the club face just a touch upon address and hold it there through the swing. Essentially if your slicing your ball, it generally means your club face is wide open upon impact. Another great advice I got from a friend who plays stronger than I do with my irons, when I am going into my follow through, my finish with the iron should be aimed at exactly where I want my target to be.

I`m not sure this helps, I still tend to pull a bit but that`s on my as I can literally feel my hands turning over upon impact. Another huge key for me is to not bloody choke the club, disaster for me.

I would try the first part, look at your address of the ball and look at the clubface and ask yourself if it`s too open, or simply close it a bit and get used to hitting the ball from that position.

BruinsFuse

Sep 21, 2007
Halifax, NS
This golf season sure is flying by! Unfortunately work has gotten in the way a bit and I have only been playing about once every two weeks since June. I did just compete in our club Championship and finished 4th. I was pleased with that. Especially since last week I had to play the Club Champ in the Club Match Play and beat him 5 and 4!

Thanks for any help

Lopey, I spent 7 years teaching. it is tough to get much of a gauge without seeing or knowing much about your swing limitations but I can recommend a few things. Slicing is caused from a few factors. Mainly the club is opening or is open through impact. If the club is open or opening through impact and the path of the club is coming the outside to inside (further away from your body going back and then coming closer to your body coming down and through) you will create the spin which makes your ball go that way. Try slowing things down on the range and focusing on a smoother plane that is on line with the target. It might feel like you are actually pushing it in the beginning. Aiming further to the right in your case will only create more of a slice as you compensate to get the ball back into the right direction.
In a lot of cases the swing becomes mostly arms. Don't forget that the hips have to go through as well. Something to help hips go through would be to slightly point your lead foot forward. Not extreme, but a small amount can help golfers get their hips through.
Remember, everyone's swing is different. It could be something simple like the bottom hand is too open on your grip as well. there are a lot of factors that come into play. If you can't figure it out, set up a meeting with a local pro. They are there to help people improve. Ask around and see who the best ones are if there are more than one. I know I could have sent this PM but over 80% of golfers slice so even if I help one person...
Hope some of this helps you though :) If all else fails, embrace the slice :naughty:!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This golf season sure is flying by! Unfortunately work has gotten in the way a bit and I have only been playing about once every two weeks since June. I did just compete in our club Championship and finished 4th. I was pleased with that. Especially since last week I had to play the Club Champ in the Club Match Play and beat him 5 and 4!

Lopey, I spent 7 years teaching. it is tough to get much of a gauge without seeing or knowing much about your swing limitations but I can recommend a few things. Slicing is caused from a few factors. Mainly the club is opening or is open through impact. If the club is open or opening through impact and the path of the club is coming the outside to inside (further away from your body going back and then coming closer to your body coming down and through) you will create the spin which makes your ball go that way. Try slowing things down on the range and focusing on a smoother plane that is on line with the target. It might feel like you are actually pushing it in the beginning. Aiming further to the right in your case will only create more of a slice as you compensate to get the ball back into the right direction.
In a lot of cases the swing becomes mostly arms. Don't forget that the hips have to go through as well. Something to help hips go through would be to slightly point your lead foot forward. Not extreme, but a small amount can help golfers get their hips through.
Remember, everyone's swing is different. It could be something simple like the bottom hand is too open on your grip as well. there are a lot of factors that come into play. If you can't figure it out, set up a meeting with a local pro. They are there to help people improve. Ask around and see who the best ones are if there are more than one. I know I could have sent this PM but over 80% of golfers slice so even if I help one person...
Hope some of this helps you though :) If all else fails, embrace the slice :naughty:!

great advice, now tell me how the he** I can get rid of a slight pull I have with my driver:laugh:

I got rid of my slice now I`m pulling it too often, not enough to get me in a ton of trouble but frustrating enough for me to be thinking way too much when standing behind the ball

Congrats on the 4th place finish, I played in the Ken-Wo CC 2 years ago, started out on day one in terrific style, to the point where there might have been rumblings I was a sandbagger as I shot a blazing 74 with a 7 handicap, those rumblings were quieted on day 2 as I posted an 84:laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Season slowly drawing to an end for me, I`m a wuss, I don`t play in cold weather which means my season begins later than most, ends earlier but played with a pile of lunatics yesterday.

Shot 81 and was definitely one of those rounds where a putt just won`t drop. That said, hadn`t played for a few weeks, hit the ball straight and even with an ugly triple on a hole where I got myself into a heap of trouble, kept it together and had a great day.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
crazy day at a tough course (Brunello). Now, lemme preface this with a "possible" reason/excuse for my bad front. Mrs Odaat went to fitness class and on the way home, got caught behind an accident, tee time at 10:50, I skid into a parking spot at 10:46 exactly, raced to the tee and promptly dumped one in a hazard, started with a triple.

Never felt calm nor relaxed on the front nine, felt rushed although I wasn`t and blasted an ugly 47, ate a healthy bag of Doritos, a Jersey Milk , washed it down with an ice cold coke and played to a solid 40 on the back.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
crazy day at a tough course (Brunello). Now, lemme preface this with a "possible" reason/excuse for my bad front. Mrs Odaat went to fitness class and on the way home, got caught behind an accident, tee time at 10:50, I skid into a parking spot at 10:46 exactly, raced to the tee and promptly dumped one in a hazard, started with a triple.

Never felt calm nor relaxed on the front nine, felt rushed although I wasn`t and blasted an ugly 47, ate a healthy bag of Doritos, a Jersey Milk , washed it down with an ice cold coke and played to a solid 40 on the back.

Have had the same ugly experience.

Great to see you are continuing with an athlete centric nutritional program post career. Once an athlete always an athlete eh. :laugh: Would have gone with the S&V chips, an O'Henry washed done with a chocolate milk myself. Mind you that would still have not gotten me to a 40 even on a superb day. :shakehead

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Have had the same ugly experience.

Great to see you are continuing with an athlete centric nutritional program post career. Once an athlete always an athlete eh. :laugh: Would have gone with the S&V chips, an O'Henry washed done with a chocolate milk myself. Mind you that would still have not gotten me to a 40 even on a superb day. :shakehead

S & V`s give me cankars:laugh:

It was a weird day, brilliant off the tee, hit all but one fairway in regulation on the front but my iron/short play did me in.

Golf is a fickle game, makes no sense. The back nine salvaged the day, any way you cut it, my worst day on a golf course still beats the best day at work:yo:

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
S & V`s give me cankars:laugh:

It was a weird day, brilliant off the tee, hit all but one fairway in regulation on the front but my iron/short play did me in.

Golf is a fickle game, makes no sense. The back nine salvaged the day, any way you cut it, my worst day on a golf course still beats the best day at work:yo:

It's the one sport of the 12 or more played in my life that I could not get to a level of what I could call being good at. Frustrating yet you wouldn't dare miss an opportunity to reinforce just how bad you can be over and over again. :laugh: As you say it still rates as one of the best places to be on any given day.

Don't know if you have seen this article but though of you and the other posters here who have played in NS when reading it. Can recall playing at least 10 on the courses on the list. Tough to rank just one as the hardest when you play them all poorly. :shakehead

How many have you taken on over the years?

http://thechronicleherald.ca/travel/1501265-the-18-toughest-golf-holes-in-nova-scotia

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hit some balls at the range on the way home yesterday. I'm finally hitting the ball a little better. In September. Damn.

haha, it`s like playing a less than stellar round but burying a great putt on 18

My biggest struggles this time of year is focus. End of the year, I`m less enthused about playing although still enjoy the game

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Went out for a quick 9 today. Had a better score than I've had in a couple of years. Guess my practice at the range is paying off.

never had the patience for the range, every so often if a course has a range at it, I`ll hit a small bucket prior to a round but even then I`m not much for practicing, kind of lazy that way. If I find a way to play 2 rounds in a week, typically the 2nd round I play well, if I`m only playing once a week, rarely shoot lights out but still survive to post a reasonable score.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
never had the patience for the range, every so often if a course has a range at it, I`ll hit a small bucket prior to a round but even then I`m not much for practicing, kind of lazy that way. If I find a way to play 2 rounds in a week, typically the 2nd round I play well, if I`m only playing once a week, rarely shoot lights out but still survive to post a reasonable score.

I never have time after work to get a quick round in, because I usually work later in the day. But if I can get out earlier, I can hit the range (which is also lighted), which I see as better than nothing. Plus, It's helped me get my short game in better order. I hit more good short shots than bad ones yesterday, which is a nice turnaround. I'm playing in a fun tournament in Nov in Vegas, so I hope to get out a few more times between now and then.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I never have time after work to get a quick round in, because I usually work later in the day. But if I can get out earlier, I can hit the range (which is also lighted), which I see as better than nothing. Plus, It's helped me get my short game in better order. I hit more good short shots than bad ones yesterday, which is a nice turnaround. I'm playing in a fun tournament in Nov in Vegas, so I hope to get out a few more times between now and then.

more good than bad is, well, good:laugh:

Playing monday I believe, might have 3-4 more rounds left in me although the weather would allow for more, just can`t get excited to play once September comes for some reason

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I find this truly riveting. HA!

Seriously, I hope Tiger finds his game and becomes a threat once again. It seems like he's paid for his mistakes. The game needs him. I hope he's back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad