Official Foster Hewitt Division Round 1 Results:Saskatoon Blues vs Blackburn Stingers

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 1: The marque match-ups of the night. Ray Bourque vs Jean Beliveau and Bernie Parent vs Vladislav Tretiak. In the first period, Bourque is able to cover Beliveau. His linemates lack the speed to carry the puck, and Bourque covers the passing lanes perfectly, Beliveau is forced to shoot, 3 shots in the first, but Tretiak has a perfect read on all of them. Tretiak isn't so lucky against the garbage goal line of Goring-Stewart-Leach. Tretiak stops a Goring-tipped Fetisov point shot, stops Leach on the rebound, but Stewart out-muscles Murphy for the second rebound and roughs the backhand over Tretiak, top right corner. The Stingers answer in the second with a three on two, give and go between Goulet and Stastny ends with a drop pass to Mogilny and a laser wrist shot past Parent. But that was all the Stingers could get passed Parent. Late in the third, Beliveau final out works Bourque, stickhandling between Bourque's legs and with his stick between Bourque's legs, makes the pass to Lalonde who bangs home the winner.

Blues win 2-1

Game 2: Beliveau sets up early goals by Dye and Lalonde, giving Saskatoon an early lead. So, Bourque switches strategy, he'll match Beliveau's offense. Pinching in from the point he makes what appears to be an errant pass, but, out of no where appears Phantom Joe Malone who finds the five hole before Jarvis finds him. Then, after Stewart takes a bad penalty for a cheap hit on Stastny, Bourque winds up for a point shot and the opportunistic Mellanby deflects it in. Pleading for redemption, Nolan gives Stewart some time on a line with Beliveau, which pays immediate dividends as Beliveau sets up Stewart in the slot for the go ahead goal. With Hawerchuk out as the extra attacker, Blackburn gives there all for the win, but not even a picture perfect Stastny to Bourque one timer can get passed the clutch goaltending of Parent.

Blues win 3-2

Game 3: Realizing that both the Beliveau line and Stewart line are killing the Stingers, Muckler mixes it up by putting Bourque against Stewart and the Mactavish line against Beliveau. Bourque limits Stewart's chances, and Tretiak closes the door on the few they get. To make amends for losing Malone before, Jarvis spends all game watching him like a hawk. The second lines are a non-factor in game 3 due to the excellent defensive play of Bourque and Jarvis. Peter Stastny fakes a pass to Goulet which fools Iafrate, but not Anton Stastny who reads his brother perfectly, unfortunatly, he can't top Peter's one on one skills and Peter Stastny gets the wrist shot passed Parent by using his brother as a screen. Believeau, who had been shut down by Mactavish up until this point get's fired up. He hold's Mactavish off with one hand while stickhandling passed Graham with the other hand, Graham and Mactavish get Beliveau out of scoring position, before they realize it was a ruse to get Guy Lapointe in perfect position for the game tying one timer. The game goes into overtime due to the great play of Tretiak and Parent, as well as the top defensive play backing them up. Early in the second period of overtime, Rob Ramage springs Jean Beliveau for the break-away, and despite Tretiak's best effort, Beliveau makes no mistake getting his first goal of the series.

Blues win 2-1 in OT

Game 4: Parent makes his mark. Bourque gets 5 shots, Stastny 4 and sets up Goulet and Mogilny for 3 a piece. Blackburn outshoots Saskatoon 41-20, but just cannot beat Parent. In the second period, an errant Iafrate slapshot bounces off the boards and right to Bob Bourne in the slot, who makes no mistake. Tretiak doesn't let anything else in on the night, but when he's pulled, a Beliveau clearing attempt goes the length of the ice for the icing on the cake goal.

Blues win 2-0

Three Stars:

3rd star: Bernie Parent
2nd Star: Ray Bourque
1st star: (And early Conn Smythe favourite) Jean Beliveau

The Saskatoon Blues sweep the Blackburn Stinger 4-0

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Wow. I definitely didn't see that one coming. I had Saskatoon winning in seven. So my question is: how did we come up with the four-game sweep? Is it based on an average from the voters? Is it based on the largest number of voters choosing one result? Because I just can't see this being a sweep. I think Saskatoon is the better team, but not by such a large margin that Blackburn wouldn't win one friggin' game.

Anyways, congrats to the Blues and good luck in the next round. You're going to need it, Zett. You're playing HO's Montreal team.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Well uh... officially my team has been completely rejected on every level. Last place in the regular season and not a single win. Yikes, I absolutely just do not see it, but what can I do?

Ouch.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Well uh... officially my team has been completely rejected on every level. Last place in the regular season and not a single win. Yikes, I absolutely just do not see it, but what can I do?

Ouch.

Yeah, I'm somewhat surprised. But, keep in mind, there are no bad teams here, just some teams are better than others. I think the problem was a lack of proven playoff performers, particularly up front. But, I didn't vote.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Yeah, I'm somewhat surprised. But, keep in mind, there are no bad teams here, just some teams are better than others. I think the problem was a lack of proven playoff performers, particularly up front. But, I didn't vote.
I think you nailed it when you said proven playoff performers. While rings aren't the only testament to a player's playoff value, mullin had 27 rings on his team. Four of them were Muckler's when he was an assistant coach, four came from his 13th forward, and two came from his No. 3 goalie. (Who, by the way, I would have loved to have on my team).

In terms of mullin's roster players (12 forwards, six defencemen and two goalies) he has 16 rings from eight players. Zett has 16 rings between Beliveau and Lapointe, and a total of 46.

If you want to win in the playoffs, you need guys who know what it takes to win. It's even more imperative when you're facing an opponent with over 40 or over 50 Stanley Cup championships on their roster. (I have 69).

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Well I think a sweep is pretty absurd. I hardly think this is the worst team in the whole draft but the result seems to add up to that.

Sorry, the system for determining results is still a work in progress. And maybe it did end up a bit harsh, and I apologize for that. And if it helps, you weren't the worst team in the regular season.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Sorry, the system for determining results is still a work in progress. And maybe it did end up a bit harsh, and I apologize for that. And if it helps, you weren't the worst team in the regular season.

Hey it's OK you didn't vote, I'm just kinda taken aback by how much the team was trashed :)

And how do you mean? I mean did finish in last place. But oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad