Official Darryl Sutter for Blues coach bandwagon thread

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Honestly folks, I'd be very surprised if Yeo got canned. He just took over in the middle of last year, and honestly if he did get fired it would be Berube taking his spot

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Coaching changes sound good, but coaches typically come and go around the league. Chicago's winningest coach left here and won 3 cups. People are actually talking about bringing him back now, even though Chicago's board is wanting to get rid of him like he's the plague. We have a bad group of players. Individually, their numbers look good, but they don't mesh. A major retool needs to happen in the offseason. I think DA sees it that way, too. He didn't make a trade because it would have weakened the team. The players should be worried they are about to be moved out.

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis
Can we please give him more than a year before we place all the blame on Yeo? He got thrust into the situation last year and didn't do a terrible job. At the beginning of December, this post would have been destroyed but here we are 3 months later and there are people seriously calling for a coaching change? Some people seriously need to get a grip and take a step back

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Also you got rid of Hitch last year, Sutter coaches the exact same way!

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Wild fan chiming in here. Yeo may not have been the problem in Minnesota but, he certainly didn't help the situation. Every year we went through a slump around the same point in the season... Our leadership definitely has issues but Yeo was never able to resolve them and take command of the team. His offensive and power-play systems were also very lackluster and they seemed to have carried over to the Blues.

I'm not sold on this Blues team being a real contender for the playoffs so getting rid of him may not matter. But, when the team is ready to contend I would certainly be looking for a better coach.

Reactions: mk80

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Wild fan chiming in here. Yeo may not have been the problem in Minnesota but, he certainly didn't help the situation. Every year we went through a slump around the same point in the season... Our leadership definitely has issues but Yeo was never able to resolve them and take command of the team. His offensive and power-play systems were also very lackluster and they seemed to have carried over to the Blues.

I'm not sold on this Blues team being a real contender for the playoffs so getting rid of him may not matter. But, when the team is ready to contend I would certainly be looking for a better coach.
I respect your opinion, but we went through the same issues with Hitch. Yeo isn't the problem. We are loaded up with depth players. We have a first line and a 2/3 line consisting of "just in case" players. Our first and fourth lines are great. We just don't seem to be able to fill out the lines in between because we keep getting players "just in case."

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
It needs to happen. Yeo is not doing himself any favors by constantly feeding Allen starts, giving PP time to losers like Berglund and playing people like Thorburn icetime over Thompson etc.

Yeo needs to be fired, along with other moves made to this teams core. But to fill the coaching spot, we should strongly look into Darryl Sutter. Hes a no BS kind of coach, one this team certainly needs and has the resume to prove it.

Proven leader, no BS will be tolerated (toodaloo berglund), knows how to win. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Looks like he had a stroke

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I don't think Yeo should be fired, but I don't think he should be absolved of all responsibility for this mess, either. I've watched other teams milk a lot more from far less talented rosters than this one.

One of the things I mentioned at the beginning of the year when the Blues were in their hot streak and people were generally very happy with Yeo was that we couldn't reasonably judge his signing until (among other things) we saw how things went when the team was going bad. Well, we've been seeing it for the better part of the last three months, and it's not pretty.

That's a long time for a coach to have his team stewing in a funk, and if you listen to Minnesota fans, it's not an uncommon occurrence for Yeo coached teams. I'd rather not overreact to something like that, but it should definitely be a concern that the team appears to be defeated and directionless.

The coach is the guy who always needs to know the answer for whatever mess a team finds itself in. Even if what he's selling is complete BS, if the players buy into the "solution" they derive a sense of direction and purpose. Those, in turn, breed hope, confidence, and a sense of utility (that what you are doing matters and that you have some ability to control your own fate). Those things have a real impact on playing well, and ultimately winning. This team does not have those things at the moment.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
My thing is if you make a coaching change, now, over summer, next year, 2 years, etc. go find a coach similar to Gerard Gallant (who was available before we hired Yeo), I think we need a young coach who is able to tap into the younger players on the roster and get them going, especially since we will have plenty of them on the roster over the next few years, even our mid 20s "core" would be aided by a coach like that. Don't go out and get another Hitch who coaches outdated systems and refuses to adapt.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I don't think Yeo should be fired, but I don't think he should be absolved of all responsibility for this mess, either. I've watched other teams milk a lot more from far less talented rosters than this one.

One of the things I mentioned at the beginning of the year when the Blues were in their hot streak and people were generally very happy with Yeo was that we couldn't reasonably judge his signing until (among other things) we saw how things went when the team was going bad. Well, we've been seeing it for the better part of the last three months, and it's not pretty.

That's a long time for a coach to have his team stewing in a funk, and if you listen to Minnesota fans, it's not an uncommon occurrence for Yeo coached teams. I'd rather not overreact to something like that, but it should definitely be a concern that the team appears to be defeated and directionless.

The coach is the guy who always needs to know the answer for whatever mess a team finds itself in. Even if what he's selling is complete BS, if the players buy into the "solution" they derive a sense of direction and purpose. Those, in turn, breed hope, confidence, and a sense of utility (that what you are doing matters and that you have some ability to control your own fate). Those things have a real impact on playing well, and ultimately winning. This team does not have those things at the moment.
What if the players know they suck, and can't do anything to improve it?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
It's a coach's job to show them how to improve when they suck.

If the argument is that the players are so bad that they're beyond the ability of any coach to improve, then I generally disagree with the premise. The individuals on this team didn't collectively become irredeemably bad at hockey a few months back.

Reactions: mk80

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Look at what the Golden Knights are doing. Knights' players are on that roster because their previous teams thought they could do without them. So, they probably were not feeling too good about themselves after the expansion draft. Now, obviously there are some natural leaders and "good locker room" guys on that roster. But, Gallant has been able to tap into the players' minds and motivate them to play above their skill-level. That's what a good coach does.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
It's a coach's job to show them how to improve when they suck.

If the argument is that the players are so bad that they're beyond the ability of any coach to improve, then I generally disagree with the premise. The individuals on this team didn't collectively become irredeemably bad at hockey a few months back.
Are you saying that we need a new coach? If so, Who would you suggest?

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014

thats how i feel. yeo doesnt help himself. he knows that people like berglund and allen are pieces of trash this year but continues to feed them ice time and starts.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Whether it's Sutter or not, Yeo has to go. He has clearly lost the room. He is the wrong man for the job, and I am now thinking that signing him to a 4 yr contract was the stupidest move Armstrong has made to date.

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
Although Sutter has been a great coach in the past his failure to adopt to the modern day speed game would render him useless as we saw with kings . Great coaches evolve with the game , the game doesn't & will never evolve to them . The NHL has changed greatly over the last 24months & people need to respect that & NOT live on past successes . Please God No to Sutter with respect .

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
If Yeo is, for whatever reason, moved on from, then I would target Kirk Muller and bring him back. Players loved him. He was an offense style guy who also had a pretty good PP. I think players would respond greatly to him. Plus, I think you could surround him with good assistants if defense is a worry.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Although Sutter has been a great coach in the past his failure to adopt to the modern day speed game would render him useless as we saw with kings . Great coaches evolve with the game , the game doesn't & will never evolve to them . The NHL has changed greatly over the last 24months & people need to respect that & NOT live on past successes . Please God No to Sutter with respect .
As a Kings fan, I don't agree with this statement. People say that sort of thing about him all the time, but Darryl is actually a very progressive minded guy. I believe he'll be successful wherever he goes.

His method is less about system, and more about motivating players. He knows how to light a fire under their ass. He's better at it than any other coach I've ever seen. It works, but it has a short shelf life. He would get the Blues to overachieve in the playoffs, but it will be short lived, like 1-3 years.

Reactions: simon in canada

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
As a Kings fan, I don't agree with this statement. People say that sort of thing about him all the time, but Darryl is actually a very progressive minded guy. I believe he'll be successful wherever he goes.

His method is less about system, and more about motivating players. He knows how to light a fire under their ass. He's better at it than any other coach I've ever seen. It works, but it has a short shelf life. He would get the Blues to overachieve in the playoffs, but it will be short lived, like 1-3 years.
That's fine & you're definitely entitled to your opinion but like you say "people say this about him all the time" , maybe just maybe they're onto something , as he's yet to prove otherwise . Time will tell I guess which train of thought is correct .

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
If Yeo is, for whatever reason, moved on from, then I would target Kirk Muller and bring him back. Players loved him. He was an offense style guy who also had a pretty good PP. I think players would respond greatly to him. Plus, I think you could surround him with good assistants if defense is a worry.

Kirk Muller is a real good assistant coach and years ago I wanted him to be the new HC as well. But after hearing from multiple Carolina fans I no longer see him as a viable head coach type. He is the type that really lacked structure and a system.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

Absolutely perfect! Exactly what we need right now!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->