Lapland
12 games (3-5-4) since the trade deadline

a whopping 10 out of 24 points

Nill and mgmt decide to stand pat
- lose Hanzal
- Spezza ages poorly
- our wingers suck
- prices at TDL were pretty cheap outside of Rick Nash

No prospects to fill the gaps (scouting department sucks)
- Nicha went back to russia because he can't cut it in the NHL
- Dickinson still isn't ready for the NHL in his draft +4 season
- Honka averages 10 mins a night
- the rest of the 2014 draft was very bad
- Guryanov still not ready; Hintz is being seasoned

Ken Hitchcock signs a one year contract to coach us
- a band aid on the issue
- needed a long term fix to coach these guys through their cup window
- boring brand of identity-less hockey, less emphasis on scoring goals

this is a severe overreaction but boy this team isn't going anywhere other than down.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
They aren’t going to get better until they draft better. In this cap era, you have to have your draft picks contribute on their entry level deals because those players are your cheap labor. Since Nill’s drafts have all been busts, the Stars don’t have anyone playing a significant role on their entry level contract.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Well, I agree the future at the moment is not bright. Nashville and Winnipeg look set for a decade while on paper currently we look to be plateauing about to start our descent.

- I'd like to see Spezza gone however that can come about

- I'd like to see at least two of Shore, Ritchie and Elie gone

- I don't mind Kari being re-signed for cheap as long as Bishop promises to stay healthy lol

- I hope Nill looks at a ''reclamation project" like Max Domi

- I hope Nill is exploring a Mike Hoffman deal though I don't want anything to do with Bobby Ryan in a package if that's what it takes

- Mark Stone might be interesting, but expensive

- Pateryn I don't dislike as much as some, as long as his role is diminished if he's back

- Under no circumstance should Hitch be back

- Gut the scouting department, and that includes his bud McDonnell. How can these people (including Nill) not recognize how bad our drafting and development have been?

- No more seasoning in the AHL Detroit-style. I'm tired of hearing about it. Hintz and Guri are either ready or they're not. They should be on the 18-19 opening night roster, Guri especially

Last edited:
Reactions: Kcb12345

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
They aren’t going to get better until they draft better. In this cap era, you have to have your draft picks contribute on their entry level deals because those players are your cheap labor. Since Nill’s drafts have all been busts, the Stars don’t have anyone playing a significant role on their entry level contract.

Yep. We have 3 guys from the Nill draft era playing on our team right now.

Dickinson < 10 mins on avg
Elie < 10 mins on avg
Honka ~14 mins on avg

Obviously they aren't trusted by Hitchcock. The only guy out of the three with decent advanced stats at first glance is Honka.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Yep. We have 3 guys from the Nill draft era playing on our team right now.

Dickinson < 10 mins on avg
Elie < 10 mins on avg
Honka ~14 mins on avg

Obviously they aren't trusted by Hitchcock. The only guy out of the three with decent advanced stats at first glance is Honka.

Even for a 2nd round pick Elie was a strange choice. Seven goals in his draft year?

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
- Gut the scouting department, and that includes his bud McDonnell. How can these people (including Nill) not recognize how bad our drafting and development have been?

I think that might be the bigger issue than scouting seeing how Nemeth and Oleksiak are doing quite well for their new teams, even though I'm with you that scouting needs to be overhauled (along with the guy that leads them, i.e. the GM).

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
We could've had Thomas Vanek for Remi Elie or Brett Ritchie. Let that sink in for a sec.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
We better see Gurianov/Hintz up here next year. We need new youth up here the others have had their chance. I wanna the youngsters get more of a chance. Also something really frustrating: We have no 2nd line center at all, and even in a game without Jason Spezza, Jason Dickinson still does not get a top 6 chance opportunity at all and is limited to 7-8 minutes of ice time. He is just as good if not better than Elie and Ritchie. So is Gemel Smith. You can't take a kid who is supposed to be a goal scorer at this level and is expected to be one day and give him less than 4th line minutes and then expect him to succeed. On a team that needs depth scoring, this is the time when you give the kid a bigger chance to show what he can do. Otherwise he is forever gonna be shoved down to the 4th line. Typical result of someone the Stars draft I guess. The forwards never get a legit NHL chance. Even Honka doesn't. I still fail to understand why Lindell sees 2nd powerplay time over him and Honka doesn't even get to see OT time

SourTemplePilot

Go Stars!!
Oct 10, 2017
Dallas, TX
More prospect depth and PROPER development with home-grown talent from the draft.

Need better folks in place to oversee drafting/scouting responsibilities.

The NHL is seeing more younger players make an impact across the league and not just by teams that have been rebuilding the last several years.

Take a quick look at our next opponent. The Bruins have 9 players that have scored their 1st career NHL goal this season. More than half of those players have been steady contributors among their vets.

That team was supposed to regress according to many but with youth coming through the franchise it has given them a boost.

Veteran players see this and I believe it rejuvenates them if not pushes them to be better.

One small issue: Hitch

We can go over it until blue in the face but the man doesn't have a clue on how to handle developing players. Nill doesn't either.

The only person in the organization that knows how to develop is Les Jackson but we never hear from him. :facepalm:

TLDR; design a better plan on how to ready and insert more young talent on the team. Develop a refined identity if possible on the fly. (Fire the coach if need be).

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If Chicago fires Quenneville we better be all over that. Highly unlikely they do though

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Question.

The draft is in dallas.

Our pick comes up...

After a devastating end to the season and nill incompetently sitting on his hands at the deadline looking like it sucked the life out of everyone the rest of the way.

When its dallas pick...will fans boo the staff?

badboy1994

Apr 11, 2016
Question.

The draft is in dallas.

Our pick comes up...

After a devastating end to the season and nill incompetently sitting on his hands at the deadline looking like it sucked the life out of everyone the rest of the way.

When its dallas pick...will fans boo the staff?
I know that I will be.

I’m sick of excuses and I just want results

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
I know that I will be.

I’m sick of excuses and I just want results

Booing to me is a little lazy, but I fully get the frustration. Thing is, if there is a chance management cares if there is a chorus of boos, then there is a purpose belting it out., but I doubt they really care. There were empty seats at AAC last season for a long stretch once it became abundantly clear the Stars were done. Yes, they did make lot of moves in the summer and Ruff was not extended (but no one got the axe, in a manner of speaking), but they went back to hiking seat prices from what I heard from some STHs I know.

So yeah, they may hear the boos at the draft, make a few splashes during FA to get the audience in the turnstiles, who know no better, applauding again and go right back to the same old shit.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Teams usually are championship worthy in 3 years and in contention for 3-5 years before tailing off. We are five years into Nil's plan and basically nowhere, 2 playoff appearances and one series win later. And probably ready to tail off, despite never doing anything. And despite a series of UFA signings not working out.

I have no doubt Nill was the best choice at the time, although one wonders about Lites Detroit connections coloring that decision. But, sometimes, despite appearances, second in commands don't make good commanders.

The biggest decision for the Stars will be to decide if overall, this management team is capable and unlucky, or not capable. Could see it go either way, really. Starting over with a new drafting and coaching philosophy will certainly set the team back to year one of their 3-5 year contention plan, meaning we might see results in 2021, but empty seats until then.

On one hand, NHL teams aren't usually very patient, and change things up often, perhaps since they rely on ticket sales.

On the other, TG probably values some stability, which does have some advantages, and I figure they will console themselves as a bit unlucky, early in the rebuild process, and pick the "Rebuild on the Fly" option somehow. Will include counting on Miro, jettisoning Spezza, Kari, and other expensive contracts (Hanzel, Haimus, Methot?) and bringing in one well known UFA, one project (like Max Domi, suggested above), overpaying for Seguin, further hemming themselves in salary wise (if they can) and who knows what else.

If they miss on Seguin, they will probably over pay for a good, but lesser scorer in a panic mode. Which is also a pretty good path to a downward spiral.

The problem on upgrading on Ritchie, Shore, Ellie, etc., is that they can't waste assets on minor upgrades in a rebuild, and they will hope some or all of them bounce back while upgrading the high end lines and pairs.

One word summary.....Ouch.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Assuming Lehtonen is the only UFA re-signed and Nichushkin comes back the roster might look like:

Benn (9.5) - Seguin (5.75) - Radulov (6.25)
Janmark (RFA) - Faksa (2.2) - Nichushkin (RFA)
Elie (RFA) - Spezza (7.5) - Pitlick (1)
Shore (RFA) - Hanzal (4.75) - Ritchie (1.75)
Hitz (.811) - Smith (RFA) - Gurianov (.89) - Dickinson ()

Lindell (2.2) - Klingberg (4.25)
Methot (4.9) - Johns (RFA)
Heiskanen (.925) - Honka (.86)
Heatherington (RFA) - Bayreuther (.925)

Bishop (4.91)
Lehtonen (UFA)
Niemi buyout (1.5)

• I don't feel like Spezza/Hanzal will bounce back in a meaningful way
  • I love Faksa but would ideally like to see him pushed down to 3C with PP/PK time
  • Tavares pls
  • I'd almost rather Benn, Seguin, Radulov just each get their own line but play together on the PP (have 3 equal quality scoring lines and a 4th line)
  • I think there is quality pieces in the bottom 6, but they aren't utilized well/ fit the current system
  • The D really hinges on how well Heiskanen adjusts
  • I can't see them going into next year without signing another vet D, especially with Methot's injuries
  • I'm fine with the goalies for now, but hopefully one of Oettinger/Point is signed and takes the reigns for Texas

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Assuming Lehtonen is the only UFA re-signed and Nichushkin comes back the roster might look like:

Benn (9.5) - Seguin (5.75) - Radulov (6.25)
Janmark (RFA) - Faksa (2.2) - Nichushkin (RFA)
Elie (RFA) - Spezza (7.5) - Pitlick (1)
Shore (RFA) - Hanzal (4.75) - Ritchie (1.75)
Hitz (.811) - Smith (RFA) - Gurianov (.89) - Dickinson ()

Lindell (2.2) - Klingberg (4.25)
Methot (4.9) - Johns (RFA)
Heiskanen (.925) - Honka (.86)
Heatherington (RFA) - Bayreuther (.925)

Bishop (4.91)
Lehtonen (UFA)
Niemi buyout (1.5)

• I don't feel like Spezza/Hanzal will bounce back in a meaningful way
  • I love Faksa but would ideally like to see him pushed down to 3C with PP/PK time
  • Tavares pls
  • I'd almost rather Benn, Seguin, Radulov just each get their own line but play together on the PP (have 3 equal quality scoring lines and a 4th line)
  • I think there is quality pieces in the bottom 6, but they aren't utilized well/ fit the current system
  • The D really hinges on how well Heiskanen adjusts
  • I can't see them going into next year without signing another vet D, especially with Methot's injuries
  • I'm fine with the goalies for now, but hopefully one of Oettinger/Point is signed and takes the reigns for Texas

I don't know how Nill or whomever is going to manage Tavares without offering full-term and market value+ and there's Spezza whom needs to be jettisoned to make that happen. That's of course if he can even allure someone like JT to come play for a franchise that one can officially declare as mired in mediocrity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->