Official Cap Numbers Final - Per Leafs Lunch

X0ssbar

So my question is this - did the union wave (can't exactly remember what its called) the 5% escrow deal?

In other words from what I read the union had the option of either:

1. waiving the 5% escrow and increase the higher cap limit (which was rumored to be 50 mil if waived) but run the risk of paying more out in escrow at the end of the year to the owners if they took in more than their alloted 55% of total revenues...

2. include the 5% and have a lower cap limit (rumored to be 48 mil) which would lessen the blow that the players would have to pay out to the owners as there would be more money in that escrow account in case players collected more than their 55% of revenues.

IB your our designated cap expert here - does that make sense to you?

The rumor was that the MLB union encouraged the NHLPA to raise the cap as much as possible...and makes sense considering Fehr just had their ear this past week.

Anyhow... I can't see the cap continues to rise this much year to year although with the extra jersey revenues this year it would surpirse me next year but you've got to think ticket prices are close to being maxed out and this is a primarily gate driven league.

Zymergist

Jun 12, 2007
Anyhow... I can't see the cap continues to rise this much year to year although with the extra jersey revenues this year it would surpirse me next year but you've got to think ticket prices are close to being maxed out and this is a primarily gate driven league.
It increases because the Canadian dollar has been increasing in value every year compared to the US dollar. So when you convert Canadian club profits to US dollars it gives the appearance that they made more money this year. If the Canadian dollar drops in value, they will be in trouble.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Which teams will have a 50 mil. payroll..?....anyone know?

Habs president said the team will have enough money to invest in a star player so I assume we could be close to the limit. The question is now if a star player wants to come here and who it may be. :)

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
So my question is this - did the union wave (can't exactly remember what its called) the 5% escrow deal?

In other words from what I read the union had the option of either:

1. waiving the 5% escrow and increase the higher cap limit (which was rumored to be 50 mil if waived) but run the risk of paying more out in escrow at the end of the year to the owners if they took in more than their alloted 55% of total revenues...

2. include the 5% and have a lower cap limit (rumored to be 48 mil) which would lessen the blow that the players would have to pay out to the owners as there would be more money in that escrow account in case players collected more than their 55% of revenues.

IB your our designated cap expert here - does that make sense to you?
You're talking about the 5% inflator provision - had the NHLPA waived it as they did last year, the cap would have been at $47.9 million. They didn't - so we have the higher cap number. Leaving the inflator out would have held player salaries down, but would have also held down the amount the players have to pay into escrow.

And if last year was a sign of anything, the players will end up paying 10-12% into escrow this year like last year - and will probably lose most of it at the end of the season as teams race like hell to spend to the limit ASAP.

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
or maybe with the new CBA the owners are being forced to report revenues that previously were being moved into other accounting groups.

Yeah, they'll magically report more revenue just so they can pay players more money in addition to paying more taxes. :shakehead

Next thing you'll tell me aliens are causing the cap to go up.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
THE usual suspects will spend TO THE MAX(DET,TOR,NYR,PHI) but now joined by others (OTT,L.A.) -yep, NHL sure lfixed things up with the lock-out...

WANT TO BUY YOUR WAY TO A CUP? STEP RIGHT UP --MAKE THE AGENTS HAPPY CAMPERS--AGAIN!

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
If a team was at the bottom of the payroll range only $16mil less in salaries than teams spending to the cap, do you will their fans would notice the difference and feel confident enough to win to maintain season ticket levels that they wouldnt have done if their was a a 60 mil disparity but they could keep more of their young stars?

I wonder what the average player salary is now. I remember the complaint was that a $1.8 mil als was unsupportable, and $1.3 was needed. I havent heard anyone announce als. Any news on it?

X0ssbar

You're talking about the 5% inflator provision - had the NHLPA waived it as they did last year, the cap would have been at $47.9 million. They didn't - so we have the higher cap number. Leaving the inflator out would have held player salaries down, but would have also held down the amount the players have to pay into escrow.

And if last year was a sign of anything, the players will end up paying 10-12% into escrow this year like last year - and will probably lose most of it at the end of the season as teams race like hell to spend to the limit ASAP.

Yes...that was what I was referring to. I thought they took that provision last year but that's what I get for thinkin. Thanks for the clarification.

X0ssbar

Yes, completely ignore the drop from a $60 million range in payroll to $16 million.

Exactly...there is still much more competitive balance in this new system compared to the old....and to me, the revenues are obviously there to justfiy the cap limit so I really don't have a lot of complaints and I'm a small market team fan.

Sure I'd like it to be that every team had an equal amount of money to spend in every market but that's not realistic in this league unless they really overhaul the revenue sharing system and I don't see the big markets agreeing to that.

Brent Burns Beard