[Official] Around the NHL 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Wow, still stunned it was the Oilers that won...like really?
Don't get me wrong, I am SO, SO, SO glad Buffalo did not win(but Eichel is a heck of a consolation prize), it's just surreal how many high draft picks the Oilers have had the last 8/9 years.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
What is Leon going to get you though, Hayden Fleury? The Oilers need to make the playoffs next year, to do so if you move RNH you're guaranteed to get another elite piece to fill a hole. Trading Leon will not bring them any help for 2-3 seasons. Plus Leon has the size the Oilers need.

I dunno, keeping RNH is a good move, but they really need a top pairing stud on that backend that can play now.

There's still the possibility of drafting Kylington with the Preds 1st rounder...plus Nurse coming up. I don't think they're in nearly as rough of shape moving forward as some might think, Schultz, Klefbom, Ference, Nikitin, Fayne, Marincin, Aulie, Musil... nothing special by any means, but then again, look at the bottom-four we've rolled out at times and succeeded with. It might only take one legit top-four guy like a Phaneuf to tie that corps together for the short term.

A best-case scenario:

Klefbom - Schultz
Nikitin - Phaneuf
Fayne - Nurse
Kylington - Ference
Davidson - Musil
Marincin - Aulie

That would be a rather young d-corps.. and not exactly pretty by any means (at least in the early going), but more than capable. And with options in case of injury/poor play.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
They need to keep the Nuge. Otherwise they are back to win they drafted RNH.

This. Many people seem to forget that. So what if they have Connor now, one injury and they are back to having an AHL player being their 2nd line C. you can NEVER have too much C depth. If anyone is gonna be moved, I personally think it's gonna be a future 1st and Eberle.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If the Oilers were interested in building a team and winning, they'd offer Hall and Draisaitl for Weber and a wing prospect/young winger. The Predators can afford the switch while the Oilers would be fixing a couple of problems; it'd change the culture in a big way while also addressing their horrific defense.

But given the Oilers/Mactavish's past history, they'll offer Purcell or Yakupov for Karlsson or Doughty.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If the Oilers were interested in building a team and winning, they'd offer Hall and Draisaitl for Weber and a wing prospect/young winger. The Predators can afford the switch while the Oilers would be fixing a couple of problems; it'd change the culture in a big way while also addressing their horrific defense.

But given the Oilers/Mactavish's past history, they'll offer Purcell or Yakupov for Karlsson or Doughty.

That's actually really interesting, Calculon. Perhaps they get back Watson?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

The Predators essentially turned down 5 first round picks for Weber by matching the offer sheet. I don't think they move him for puck hog Hall, Leon Draisaitl and another pick.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
The Predators essentially turned down 5 first round picks for Weber by matching the offer sheet. I don't think they move him for puck hog Hall, Leon Draisaitl and another pick.

Suffice it to say, Weber will likely be a Pred until the end, unless they don't win and he goes to another team in search of a late-career Cup a la Bourque.

May 27, 2012
Earth

Yeah, but here would be no guarantee those 5 1sts would amount to anything. It was a no-brainer for Nashville to accept. It might be an offer to consider, but not one they would do.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, but here would be no guarantee those 5 1sts would amount to anything. It was a no-brainer for Nashville to accept. It might be an offer to consider, but not one they would do.
I don't think they do it. Weber is their captain and franchise player. They might consider RNH+ for Jones, but they don't consider moving Jones for Draisaitl as someone suggested earlier.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I love this. Guys seeing the Flames play against the Oilers in the 80's is what made me a hockey fan. Think of the future games were going to see for the next 10-15 years. Monahan, Bennett, Gaudreau against McDavid, RNH, Hall, Yak. Honestly the rivalry we're going to have against these guys and hopefully in the playoffs is going to be unreal. I can't wait to hate them again instead making fun of them.

This is all positive to me, it's going to make our guys better in the process.

Love your outlook on this Hox. No point in being salty about it, it won't change anything now.

Good for the Oilers and their fans. We may see a real battle of Alberta again soon.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Love your outlook on this Hox. No point in being salty about it, it won't change anything now.

Good for the Oilers and their fans. We may see a real battle of Alberta again soon.
Playing against great players helps you become better. No doubt that the Oilers from the 80s pushed our guys in the 80s to be better.

But they're ****** management will stop them from being too good. So we will get the best of both. :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Playing against great players helps you become better. No doubt that the Oilers from the 80s pushed our guys in the 80s to be better.

But they're ****** management will stop them from being too good. So we will get the best of both. :laugh:

This is what I'm hoping for, exactly. That they become the next Pens, provide us with some magical series, playing them makes us better and propels us to be a dynasty. :)

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

It was four first round picks, that likely would have been late ones with Weber in Philadelphia. But if the rumors were true, Poile would have traded Weber for Couturier+Schenn+2 first round picks or other stuff. Holmgren wasn't willing to trade both centres at that time.

It does depend on how the Preds do this year. If they're out in the first round they might be more amenable to changes.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sorry Hox. I agree with you on many things, but it being a good thing that the Oilers were gifted a player who will be the best player to come out of 10 years worth of drafts is something I can't see. Do I want there to be a rivalry between the teams? Sure, but only if we're winning that rivalry. You say that the BoA rivalry of the 80s really drew you in as a fan, but can you honestly say that it was fun to watch the Oilers win Cups? Because that's what we're moving towards. This day, something happened that makes it that much easier for the Oilers to win Cups in spite of the best efforts of their management.

Also, regarding Tim Murray, I honestly feel that his comments today should be a fireable offence. First of all, because it shows a complete lack of understanding of the lottery process. He had an 80% chance of losing the lottery and picking second, and he was expecting to win it? Seriously? Second of all, I feel like his comments show a complete disregard for the player he will eventually go on to draft. Seriously, how is it going to feel for Jack Eichel for Tim Murray to select you at the draft after a few months previously saying that he was extremely disappointed to be in that position? I feel like he may have done some pretty significant damage to that relationship before it's even begun. Thirdly, it shows a complete lack of recognition of what the bottom of the standings mean. His comments were reflective of someone who earned the best chance at something, but lost out on it. What Murray did was the opposite of earning something. They had very bad expectations coming into the season, and they failed to meet them. At this point, they shouldn't feel entitled to anything.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Sorry Hox. I agree with you on many things, but it being a good thing that the Oilers were gifted a player who will be the best player to come out of 10 years worth of drafts is something I can't see. Do I want there to be a rivalry between the teams? Sure, but only if we're winning that rivalry. You say that the BoA rivalry of the 80s really drew you in as a fan, but can you honestly say that it was fun to watch the Oilers win Cups? Because that's what we're moving towards. This day, something happened that makes it that much easier for the Oilers to win Cups in spite of the best efforts of their management.

Also, regarding Tim Murray, I honestly feel that his comments today should be a fireable offence. First of all, because it shows a complete lack of understanding of the lottery process. He had an 80% chance of losing the lottery and picking second, and he was expecting to win it? Seriously? Second of all, I feel like his comments show a complete disregard for the player he will eventually go on to draft. Seriously, how is it going to feel for Jack Eichel for Tim Murray to select you at the draft after a few months previously saying that he was extremely disappointed to be in that position? I feel like he may have done some pretty significant damage to that relationship before it's even begun. Thirdly, it shows a complete lack of recognition of what the bottom of the standings mean. His comments were reflective of someone who earned the best chance at something, but lost out on it. What Murray did was the opposite of earning something. They had very bad expectations coming into the season, and they failed to meet them. At this point, they shouldn't feel entitled to anything.

That's fine, honestly I expect to be in about 10% or less of those that would approve of it. As a fan, we get the privilege to watch an elite talent (in McDavid) many times over the course of his career and, we get to hate him. I'll explain it like this from my perspective, how many times now has anyone on here got really excited when the Oilers come to town? Mostly, everyone just makes fun of what they are and how we expect to roll over them. Well that will likely all change now. If adding McDavid eventually makes the Oil a top team in the West, well just look to Vancouver and the series we are in now and what the level of excitement is at, it won't be long until that same feeling parallels when we play Edmonton. It'll be far more entertaining for us fans, and I truly believe it will bring out the best in our young stars. I don't think that it's going to sit well with competitors like Bennett, Gaudreau and Monahan that the Oilers are the best team in Alberta. When we play them, it's going to be a war each and every time and that's going to help push our players to be even better.

In terms of them now being more favoured to win a Cup, I don't want to see the Oilers beat us, but the fan in me is excited for watching a great product on the ice against our rivals. I don't think the Oilers getting McDavid is going to change much about the Flames, TBH. I've seen teams like Boston demolish teams with superior talent in a playoff series because of how they play. The Flames need to worry about what they do well and go and take of business. Anglesmith, I always respect your opinions and you definitely have valid points and I think most agree with you, but I'm just looking at it from my perspective/experience as a young fan in the 80's and I guess and I do see some positives for the Flames and us fans.

Regarding Murray, I couldn't agree more. It is outrageous what he said, especially considering the Sabres are still getting a franchise player (and really that should be beside the point). What a joke, it just brings out my level of animosity for Murray that much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad