Upgrade your account today to enjoy the forums ad-free.
Click here to upgrade: Account Upgrades

OT: Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread (links on start page)

Discussion in 'Arizona Coyotes' started by ClassLessCoyote, Sep 22, 2009.

1. FunkySeeFunkyDoo

FunkySeeFunkyDoo Registered User

Hi,
    Just finishing up my trip with a few days in Sedona. I'm going to be driving from Sedona to the Phoenix airport on Tuesday morning. Google maps tells me it'll take 2 hrs, but I'm not sure how much traffic slowdown I should budget for. What do you guys think? I need to get to the airport sometime between 11:30 and noon.

Thanks!

2. Dirty Old Man

Dirty Old Man Mistaken for magic

Unless there's an unusual for a Tuesday wreck coming "down the hill" (which would really hose things), you shouldn't have much of a delay on the inbound 17 that late. Earlier than 9am from Anthem to central Phoenix might be an issue but shouldn't be one after 10 surely.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo likes this.
  3. ducky

ducky Registered User

Renewable energy
    Soooo, hows the fishing in and around Phoenix?

4. SniperHF

SniperHF Stickiness Administrator

There are certainly lakes to go to reasonably close to Phoenix.
    I'm not really a fisherman though so my takes might not be super useful but I'll offer them anyway:.
    I also have no frame of reference for other areas.

Saguaro lake is reasonably close and probably the one I'd consider first because it's a little more sleepy. It's a better location scenery wise and there are fewer people zipping around on jet boats/skis and the like.

Lake Pleasant is basically a big muddy puddle so it ain't much to look at it but fishing there is sometimes bountiful. Stripers for days. I've also completely struck out there too so :dunno:. It is pretty big though. If it's a weekend day in spring/summer it will be busy.

Bartlett Lake can also be busy but nicer to look at than Pleasant. I've only fished there once but it has a reputation for being highly populated.

All 3 are about an hour to an hour and 45 minutes away from downtown. I've had my best catches with live bait.

5. Terrier

Terrier Registered User

Home Page:
  6. Ultra Mega Chychrun

Ultra Mega Chychrun Arise Chychrun!

I'll be going tonight, I'm pumped to see Tkachuk. Any other big names that haven't been drafted yet to look for?

7. Terrier

Terrier Registered User

Home Page:
    BU manages a sweep, barely, unlike UMass-Lowell. As you can see, BU has a student section no matter where they play. Up next for ASU: two games at the Yale Whale in New Haven.

The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Ingalls Rink - Wikipedia

8. gphr513

gphr513 Watch the world burn

Hey guys! Coming down again this year when the Wild play in AZ. It was a great time last year!

I'm a big beer guy, curious what you guys' favorite breweries are in the Phoenix area? We'll be staying in SE Phoenix, so Tempe/Mesa/Gilbert/Chandler area preferably, but not averse to traveling a bit if there is something in the "can't miss" tier.

Last year we went to San Tan and Four Peaks, both were very good!

9. Dirty Old Man

Try Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co., right at the point where Mesa, Gilbert, and Chandler's boundaries all meet. Arizona Ave/Guadalupe.

gphr513 likes this.
  10. gphr513

gphr513 Watch the world burn

Thanks, we'll check it out! That's one that stuck out to me after a quick Google, looks to have great reviews.

11. moosemeister

moosemeister Registered User

I live right by it. It’s always packed and everyone seems to love it. Absolutely worth going to.

gphr513 likes this.
  12. AZviaNJ

AZviaNJ @AZviaNJviaNY

As DOM mentioned, AZ Wilderness probably the best in the SE Valley. Beer Research Institute is decent also.

gphr513 likes this.
  13. Dirty Old Man

14. Burrowsaurus

Burrowsaurus Registered User

most random question to be asked on this board probably... but did any posters here see the phoenix lights first hand? this topic randomly popped into my head and I was like " man I don't know any from phoeni...wait a second"

_Del_ and CC96 like this.
  15. CC96

CC96 Serious Offender

Student
    My brother’s ex girlfriend told me she saw them in her front yard when she was a little girl.

Burrowsaurus likes this.
  16. MIG

MIG Undocumented User

Speculator
    No, but I have seen military aircraft dropping flares...same thing. :nod:

_Del_ and Burrowsaurus like this.
  17. Dexter Sinister

Dexter Sinister Registered User

Your future optometrist
    Hey guys, my wife and I (and our 6 year old) are currently living in Idaho. We're looking to relocate to AZ. (Yes, I'm a Kings fan, I grew up in the LA area, don't hate me). I was hoping someone could give us some recommendations for nice/good/safe areas to live. A good school for my son is important, as is being somewhat close to watch the Yotes and Cards.

On a side note, while I am a fan of USC, I grew up cheering for ASU because I was a huge Jake Plummer fan. Was stoked that the Cards drafted him and became a Cards fan due to that. Was happy he chose to retire instead of playing for the Broncos!

Anyway, if anyone could offer up any suggestions, we'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

18. Katie Connauton

Katie Connauton I Did Something Bad

Choir director
    You'll probably get some bias because of the "east valley" vs. "west valley" split (personally I'm an east sider). I know little of the west valley, but I can tell you that pretty much all of Tempe and Chandler is a good place to raise a family. Tempe is where ASU is located, and it's not too far from downtown Phoenix and old town Scottsdale, where a lot of the "fun events" (I made that term up) are. It's also not too terribly far from Glendale where Gila River Arena is, though you have to cross through downtown Phoenix to get there (aka a giant pain in the ass if you're headed there for a weekday evening event). Scottsdale itself would be decent too, but would be more expensive. Eastern Mesa, Gilbert, and Queen Creek are also nice places for families, but are far away from pretty much everything.

Places to avoid:

Western Mesa (pretty run-down area despite Mesa's attempts to revitalize it)
    Guadalupe (nope nope NOPE)
    Lower midtown Phoenix (I moved here once and within two weeks there was a murder in my neighborhood)

Hope this points you in the right direction. Our freeway system isn't the best in the world, but living within a few miles of one is probably a good idea. Living close to where you work will save you a lot of time too. Driving wherever you want to go should also be a priority, because our public transportation system sucks exponentially more powerfully than a vacuum cleaner.

Dexter Sinister likes this.
  19. MIG

MIG Undocumented User

Speculator
    How much you are looking to spend on housing will have an impact on what neighborhoods are affordable.

Close to the Yotes and Cards means west side or Central Phoenix, but with the new South Mountain Freeway going in it opens up areas South of the city. All depends on what you consider "close".

Here's a good website where you can look at school ratings and crime stats. https://www.bestplaces.net/

20. Ebb

Ebb the Flagellant

Definitely shoot for somewhere close to where you will be working since we (fans) don't really know where the next arena will be located (or even if there will be a "next" arena). Of course, I wager if the team does get a new one, it will be in the S/SE area, but I'm an out-of-stater.

21. The Feckless Puck

The Feckless Puck Registered Loser

Generally speaking, you want to look at the outer edges of the Metro area. If you're interested in good schools and being close to the Cardinals, then I'd suggest North Peoria (in fact, I'm selling my house there in a month or so, so DM me if you are curious. I'm moving about 10 minutes north into a smaller home now that my kids are in college.). It's about 10 minutes north of University of Phoenix Stadium and Gila River Arena, is close to a mountain of good retail and shopping, and the schools are as good as any in the Valley (both public and charter).

Be advised that there is a lot of suburban sprawl in the Valley and there is no real way to shortcut it, so finding a place that's relatively close to your employer is very important. As mentioned above, we have a pretty good freeway system but we also have a ton of idiot drivers who have never heard of zipper merges, so it doesn't take much for the freeways to get clogged.

Hope this helps!

0point1 and Dexter Sinister like this.
  22. Dexter Sinister

Dexter Sinister Registered User

Your future optometrist
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the help and suggestions.

23. BigMac1212

BigMac1212 2018 is Tartarus

Courtesey Clerk :blush:
    Home Page:
    Even though I live in the East Valley, I haven't been to the Heard Museum in a long time. If any of my extended family comes in, what's the best way to get to the Valley establishment?

24. Dolemite

Dolemite The one...the only... Sponsor

Home Page:
    Light rail stops near it.

_Del_ likes this.
  25. BigMac1212

BigMac1212 2018 is Tartarus

Courtesey Clerk :blush:
    Home Page:
    That's good to know. If I know how to use Valley Metro's website, I can plan a visit to the Museum.