OT: Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread (links on start page)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
We'll be staying near Phoenix, not sure exactly where yet, and I'm mostly interested in outdoor stuff (amazing scenery, light hiking, etc...) that is within 2 or 3 hours of the city. Also, any interesting museums that you think we should make an effort to see.
It's been quite a while since I've visited the area (so the locals will have to fill you in on any changes), but two places come to mind:
  • Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (might be a longer drive from Phoenix--unless you stay S/SE of downtown)
  • Arcosanti is a pretty interesting place to visit (at least the last time I was there); I'm not sure if your kids will enjoy it, but they do have all sorts of "windbells"
In terms of your stay, check out some of the vacation rentals in various areas since you'll be there for a while. It's always nice to have a base of operations and you can find some unique places for reasonable prices.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Not outdoors, but on the museum front the Musical Instrument Museum is incredible and the largest museum of its type in the world. It's not something I expected I'd be that interested in, but was amazed when I first went there. Thousands and thousands of instruments from every part of the globe. Maybe a hundred different media stations with videos you can watch and listen to on wireless headsets they provide. The museum covers 200,000 square feet, mostly display areas.

https://mim.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_Instrument_Museum_(Phoenix)

Reactions: CC96

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Tonto Natural Bridge outside of Payson is a a nice, short hike. My kids first hiked it at 7 and 8 with no problems. Bring extra socks with you so they have a dry pair afterward (it is usually completely possible to hike it and keep your feet dry-- they won't haha).
Tonto_Bridge_Opener_A_1200x900.jpg

*not my photo. I'll have to dig some up

Sedona is obviously a beautiful area as well, but a bit longer of a day. Jeep tours are a lot of fun, but I still prefer hoofing it with the kids. Lots of different hikes for different difficulty levels, and plenty of galleries and shopping in town for the wives. That's a full day trip or better an overnighter.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
My wife and I want to take a driving trip over the long Thanksgiving holiday within 2 hours of Phoenix. She's a chronic pain patient so we aren't able to travel much. Other than the Grand Canyon and Sedona we haven't really explored much of the state. Camping and hiking are the only things we're not interested in. Just looking to relax in an interesting area.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
My wife and I want to take a driving trip over the long Thanksgiving holiday within 2 hours of Phoenix. She's a chronic pain patient so we aren't able to travel much. Other than the Grand Canyon and Sedona we haven't really explored much of the state. Camping and hiking are the only things we're not interested in. Just looking to relax in an interesting area.

This summer, we checked out Montezuma's Castle and Tugizoot up near Camp Verde. We also went into Jerome. Cool town. Just some thoughts.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
My wife is into all the supernatural crap so Jerome would be a great spot for us. Did you take day trips or stay overnight?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Heading there in the new year. Do you guys have any special sections in the arena with food included, etc?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Heading there in the new year. Do you guys have any special sections in the arena with food included, etc?

There's an all you can eat section in the upper concourse and lower concourse, that includes unlimited nachos, hot dogs, soft drinks, and popcorn.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Nice. Anything a little more upscale than that?

If you get suite level tickets, there's a high end all you can eat buffet, you can get access to, for about $35 per person IIRC. Lots of stuff like prime rib, etc.

Not much inbetween those two extremes though, unless you just pay full price for arena food out in the concourses.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
My wife is into all the supernatural crap so Jerome would be a great spot for us. Did you take day trips or stay overnight?
We did all 3 in a day. Looks like the have some lively bars there. We got to Jerome about 3:30 and you could hear a band playing from one of the bars. Had the kids with us so didn't do the bar scene. Looks like a cool place to spend the night though.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm still sort of mulling this. Are you just looking for day-trips or considering overnights? Is this like a day- and shopping-trip, or more adventurous? Also, some more hints about what you guys have enjoyed or not might help!

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
If you get suite level tickets, there's a high end all you can eat buffet, you can get access to, for about $35 per person IIRC. Lots of stuff like prime rib, etc.

Not much inbetween those two extremes though, unless you just pay full price for arena food out in the concourses.

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Can you watch the game from in there? I'll do some looking to see if I can figure out how to get tickets in that section. $35 sounds like a bargain, if the tickets are also relatively affordable. Thanks for the info!

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
I'm still sort of mulling this. Are you just looking for day-trips or considering overnights? Is this like a day- and shopping-trip, or more adventurous? Also, some more hints about what you guys have enjoyed or not might help!

We'd like to go for 2-3 days and it doesn't all have to be in the same place.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Can you watch the game from in there? I'll do some looking to see if I can figure out how to get tickets in that section. $35 sounds like a bargain, if the tickets are also relatively affordable. Thanks for the info!

Our season tickets are in the Club and we love them. Had them eight years. There are only 5 rows in each section. A fully stocked bar, the buffet is very good but there's also an a la carte stand on the opposite end of the Club. It's in the Coyotes two attack zone. I highly recommend. I think face value is $89, but depending on the opponent you'll likely do better on StubHub.

Reactions: Killion

CalEh

Oct 28, 2017
Manhattan Beach, California
Always great coming to beautiful Phoenix (and surrounding areas).

I'm a Leafs fan who now lives in Manhattan Beach CA. I took the beautiful drive in yesterday and spent a great evening in Scottsdale.

This morning I went for a hike and enjoyed the beautiful scenery in this great part of America.

I look forward to my first visit to the rink tonight to see your Coyotes vs my Leafs.

Have a great day everyone.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Always great coming to beautiful Phoenix (and surrounding areas). I'm a Leafs fan who now lives in Manhattan Beach CA. I took the beautiful drive in yesterday...

Heh, I wish I had that attitude - I made that drive in the other direction (sister lives in Westchester) last Saturday, and return Tuesday. It was nice the first few times, but I'm now of the opinion it's worth spending the $ to fly.

CalEh

Oct 28, 2017
Manhattan Beach, California
Oh I agree generally, but since I decided to take some personal time this week I'm in no rush and able to take my time.

I wish you and the rest of the Coyote fans a wonderful holiday season and Happy New Year.

Also, thank you for Auston Matthews. He's such a respectful and kind young man from all I hear, and I take part of that having grown up in a great community in Phoenix.
Heh, I wish I had that attitude - I made that drive in the other direction (sister lives in Westchester) last Saturday, and return Tuesday. It was nice the first few times, but I'm now of the opinion it's worth spending the $ to fly.

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Sooo...

As of later next month (January), the East Valley is going to have two more residents. Me, and my wife.

And though I am a Predators fan 4life, I am looking forward to catching a game at the GRA (y'all do call it that, right?).

Dirty little secret: the Year That Shall Not Be Mentioned, my dad took me over to the Coyotes Den store - and I got a HULL 9 home (light) sweater.

Now, I'm going to be coming from East Mesa - not quite out by the 202, but not far from the 60. I know it's crap to get all the way over to Glendale from there, since you have to drive through Phoenix proper (and that construction they're doing on the west leg of the 202), but any suggestions would be helpful.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Now, I'm going to be coming from East Mesa - not quite out by the 202, but not far from the 60. I know it's crap to get all the way over to Glendale from there, since you have to drive through Phoenix proper (and that construction they're doing on the west leg of the 202), but any suggestions would be helpful.

In general, 60-10-17-10-101 is what Google maps is gonna tell ya, and that is about as good as you can do... I sometimes like to throw in a trip up Grand Ave once in a while to shake things up (and a little nostalgia from driving that way when I worked near MetroCenter).

BigMac1212

Registered Insominac
In general, 60-10-17-10-101 is what Google maps is gonna tell ya, and that is about as good as you can do... I sometimes like to throw in a trip up Grand Ave once in a while to shake things up (and a little nostalgia from driving that way when I worked near MetroCenter).

My dad usually gets off I-10 at 91st Ave and drive up that street to the Arena & University of Phoenix Stadium for Cards games. Why? Most people take the 101 so 91st Ave. would be the less traveled route. True, it's longer and slower, but if we leave early enough (especially on work days), we should arrive just in time.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
My dad usually gets off I-10 at 91st Ave and drive up that street to the Arena & University of Phoenix Stadium for Cards games. Why? Most people take the 101 so 91st Ave. would be the less traveled route. True, it's longer and slower, but if we leave early enough (especially on work days), we should arrive just in time.

I've noticed during construction that it's started letting up more than previously after 59th. I mention because we used to consider going up 91st, but this season it hasn't been necessary. Get off at Maryland left exit, or Bethany if you're solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->