Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Apple hasn't sold near the amount of X's analysts thought and their stock has dropped over the last couple weeks. I figure this is great news as this will send a signal that there is a price breaking point and the public won't pay whatever price just because it can be paid monthly.

With laptops and TV's getting cheaper over time, phones have gotten more expensive. Hopefully this will begin to bring cost down somewhat.

With that, I see this HomePod flopping as well. $350 for a home speaker right after the Google Mini was selling for $30 over the holidays ($50 now). Give me a break.

They should all take a page from OnePlus book. That's one company who got pricing right. The rest (Samsung , Apple , Google etc) need to back off a bit with rasing prices on their new models every year.

Yes OnePlus has increased it's price a bit but it's still pretty decent compared to the rest for the phone you get. You basically get top specs for almost mid range price.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Love to see a comparison of $200 - $400 speakers in terms of performance. The voice nonsense does nothing for me, have no interest in this speaker.

This is the one I have my eye on. Reviews say it sounds great, and I love the looks of it. The midcentury modern design is a good fit for the decor of my house.

The Three | Klipsch Stream Bookshelf Stereo | Klipsch

Here’s a few others I’ve been looking at:

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products...le.html#v=soundtouch_30_ii_pkg_st_30_ii_black

PLAY:5 — Biggest and Boldest Home Speaker | Sonos

Woburn Multi-Room

I think the HomePod is targeted at people in the market for these types of speakers. The fact that you can get a Google mini or an Echo Dot for $50 is irrelevant.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
This is the one I have my eye on. Reviews say it sounds great, and I love the looks of it. The midcentury modern design is a good fit for the decor of my house.

The Three | Klipsch Stream Bookshelf Stereo | Klipsch

I think the HomePod is targeted at people in the market for these types of speakers. The fact that you can get a Google mini or an Echo Dot for $50 is irrelevant.

The Klipsch is a thing of beauty.

The homepod looks like a more refined version of the Sony LF-S50G.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
My 6 came to an end yesterday after butterfingers over here dropped it during a conference call. I decided to go all the way and I got the X. While it's ridiculously expensive, it truly is an amazing phone.

Reactions: Supermassive

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
My 6 came to an end yesterday after butterfingers over here dropped it during a conference call. I decided to go all the way and I got the X. While it's ridiculously expensive, it truly is an amazing phone.

Agreed... the X has been so impressive I'm whatever on the price... price is unfortunately never got to be on the consumers side IMO.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
It's funny, after all the talk of Apple always copying Samsung and Android, there are now reports that Google's next phones will have the notch and Samsung will incorporate animojis.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
It's funny, after all the talk of Apple always copying Samsung and Android, there are now reports that Google's next phones will have the notch and Samsung will incorporate animojis.
All companies take ideas from each other. I hardly think animoji's and a notch in a "bezel-less screen" is something to get riled up about.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
All companies take ideas from each other. I hardly think animoji's and a notch in a "bezel-less screen" is something to get riled up about.

Oh, I don't think anyone's "riled up". I just think it's funny and hypocritical to say that all Apple does now is copy them when I see these reports popping up. And yes, I do agree that they copy each other.

Reactions: Lancer

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Exactly my view as well. Nothing to brag about to anyone, but it does everything it can do, so incredibly well. Would I recommend it? Only if you have the extra cash.

I didn’t get the extra AppleCare on it, but I am using a bigger, bulkier case than I did on the 6 Plus, just for peace of mind.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
So... if what I'm reading about HomePod is correct --

I would NOT be able to stream Sirius XM NHL Radio through the HomePod?

If true, thats a major bummer and would really make me think twice about the purchase.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This goes without saying and I'm sure everyone on here is smart enough to realize this if they know what to look for. Anyway this morning when I turned on my 8 Plus and checked my email there was something from Apple, however it was fake email with some attachment which would have given me a virus on my computer. Obviously I never opened it, I just happen to read the first line since my email is setup like that prior to clicking it and it said something about my recent purchase for $99.99 and I haven't bought anything from Apple recently for that cost.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It's a scam, they are trying to get you to click on the link and enter your apple ID in a bogus site. It's pretty clever but you can tell the email is not from your typical Apple
This goes without saying and I'm sure everyone on here is smart enough to realize this if they know what to look for. Anyway this morning when I turned on my 8 Plus and checked my email there was something from Apple, however it was fake email with some attachment which would have given me a virus on my computer. Obviously I never opened it, I just happen to read the first line since my email is setup like that prior to clicking it and it said something about my recent purchase for $99.99 and I haven't bought anything from Apple recently for that cost.

Yeah I got one too. It's a scam, if you click on a link it takes you to a bogus Apple site to enter your ID and password. Pretty clever but you can tell the email receipt looks nothing like Apple's. It freaked me out too as I thought my account was hacked at 1st.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's a scam, they are trying to get you to click on the link and enter your apple ID in a bogus site. It's pretty clever but you can tell the email is not from your typical Apple

Yeah I got one too. It's a scam, if you click on a link it takes you to a bogus Apple site to enter your ID and password. Pretty clever but you can tell the email receipt looks nothing like Apple's. It freaked me out too as I thought my account was hacked at 1st.
As I said before when I saw the preview of what it said on my email and the sentence your $99.99 purchase I knew it was a fake and scam. So I deleted it right away and never bothered to open it. The last thing I purchased from the Apple Store was the Belkin wireless charring pad, however I got it last month at the beginning of January and before the tax it was $79.95 CDN.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Apple always dictates the market.
Which is silly because they are rarely ever the innovators of the tech that sells their devices. Their marketing is just phenomenal. They get people to believe that some technology in their phone is so amazing even though its been around for years and other companies have been using it for a long time.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Which is silly because they are rarely ever the innovators of the tech that sells their devices. Their marketing is just phenomenal. They get people to believe that some technology in their phone is so amazing even though its been around for years and other companies have been using it for a long time.

I disagree. I think it's their own OS that they have full control over that sells their phones. Apple users get the latest and greatest OS along with fixes as they're ready. You certainly don't get that with Android.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I disagree. I think it's their own OS that they have full control over that sells their phones. Apple users get the latest and greatest OS along with fixes as they're ready. You certainly don't get that with Android.
Theres nothing to really disagree with what I said.... NFC, Face/Iris scanning, streaming music, LTE, Touch screen, Tablets, Fingerprint scanning... etc. There is almost zero tech in an iphone that was invented by Apple themselves. Apple are NOT innovators. They are masters of marketing.

If you are talking strictly OS I still don't get what your point is. Their OS doesn't do anything most other mobile OS' can do. Yes, they have full control over it which is a perk to some people (not a perk to a lot of people) but that's nothing innovative. Their biggest fault is their OS. Their OS and phones have looked virtually identical for years and years. It's the biggest thing reviewers complain about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad