Official 9th Baseball ATD Discussion Thread Part II

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Was hoping the matchup would stay in my favor, kinda surprised it finished 4-1 since I suspected Angels was the team with the violent regular season splits - I'd voted them two in the league because I figured that monster offense would bludgeon teams off the field in the regular season and I figured the starting rotation was okay enough to win with that offense but I also figured others might have them lower because of the modern rotation and a spotty middle relief. I did believe I matched up well with them in a short series though, I'd have probably voted 6 games if I did put a vote for my series.

I know the next one won't be as easy but I'll do my best to march on :)

UL Washington

Jun 5, 2008
Was hoping the matchup would stay in my favor, kinda surprised it finished 4-1 since I suspected Angels was the team with the violent regular season splits - I'd voted them two in the league because I figured that monster offense would bludgeon teams off the field in the regular season and I figured the starting rotation was okay enough to win with that offense but I also figured others might have them lower because of the modern rotation and a spotty middle relief. I did believe I matched up well with them in a short series though, I'd have probably voted 6 games if I did put a vote for my series.

I know the next one won't be as easy but I'll do my best to march on :)

Yes, the Angels were the team with the very extreme voting. Considering the amount of 1st and second place votes they got in the regular season, I'm surprised that did not translate into more playoff votes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yes, the Angels were the team with the very extreme voting. Considering the amount of 1st and second place votes they got in the regular season, I'm surprised that did not translate into more playoff votes.

Hah, I figured after td posted his vote and knowing mine...but of course me being one of the high votes for Angels in the regular season wasn't exactly going to help them when we matched up in the playoffs :laugh:

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Results posted in the AL threads. Waiting on results from UL.

Will create the matchups and we'll say Friday 7am est as the deadline for votes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Oh I'll still vote the last three series, no problem. My team went about as far as I expected/hoped going in. I recognized going into the draft it was gonna be more about other people's perception of players than my own and felt I mostly drafted well considering I hadn't done this before, if anything more of my mistakes early came blindly sticking to the chart of where players had been drafted in the past instead of making my own case on players to move up, or just drafting someone that was a better fit (one example is picking Pete over Carew imo).

The whole draft was an adjustment process for me with figuring out where and when to go with the chart or move someone up, seeing what stats were important and how best to use BR and other sites. This was definitely a lot more time consuming than I thought but also more fun than I thought. I hope I have enough time for this next year, if I do watch out everyone ;)

In the meantime best of luck to the semi finalists!

UL Washington

Jun 5, 2008
Can someone break down my team for me? I know it has some flaws, I just want to see a wholesale critique.

Great pitching - probably the best 1 through 5 in the ATD and I loved your bullpen (Wood, Wilhelm and Eichhorn usually find their way on my team most drafts.

The problem is your offense is very underwhelming. Leonard is your scariest bat and I don't think Negro Leaguers get a lot of love around these parts. Apart from Kiner (who is a great home run threat but a bad fielder), everyone else is "just a guy" in this format. You went for a lot of consistent good career number guys and less peak-y guys. Someone like a McGwire in the middle of that order would have changed the optics of your lineup.

I think you went overkill on the pitching (i.e. after getting Grove and Mathewson you could have waited until round 10 to pick another pitcher and you still would have been fine). Or you would have been well served to take one of your aces and parlay that in a trade for an elite bat. :)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Can someone break down my team for me? I know it has some flaws, I just want to see a wholesale critique.

Bear in mind everyone's opinion is probably going to vary somewhat and with most of these teams it's splitting hairs a bit. I think your pitching was great, I don't have an issue with any particular pick there.

Offensively I think you came up too short in both power and speed, you needed more of at least one. If you're going to play smallball and defense (which I see from most of your infield picks at least) more OBP/speed might have helped. I like Cochrane near the top of the order but ideally he's more of a #2 than a #1.

Or you could have gone the Earl Weaver route of pitching, defense and the three run HR - at least one more power guy would have helped in that vein...Kaline-Nettles should be more like a 6-7 at best in an ATD order from what I've seen this season, not a 5-6. And less is known about Torriente than most of the more well-known Negro League players (including Buck), that's usually a problem when rating teams imo, especially when you have him playing CF and batting #2.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

I felt your rotation relied too heavily on Deadball Era pitching stats to dazzle us. I rated your rotation high-ish, but I just help but feel you leaned a lot on the numbers and hoped no one cared about the context of those numbers on the back end of the rotation.

You have two Negro Leaguers with a variety of projections, anecdotes, and partial stats in important lineup spots (2 and 4). Torriente and Leonard are personal favorites of mine, but there's a fair amount of "fog of war" with them to put them where they are in the lineup together. Kaline doesn't profile as a #5 in an ATD and Nettles shouldn't be near the 6 spot. You lineup was very slow as well, outside of Torriente (who you stymied behind Cochrane) and Larkin (who was too low to really use the speed effectively).

The bullpen is fine, but I don't feel you have a stopper. Lots of base runners allowed by your pen outside of Hoyt.

Bench is also fine, not amazing, not terrible. Serves your team well.

Edit- Oh, also, you didin't have any Japanese players wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad