OFFICIAL: 2011 HFNHL Free Agent Results - *** COMPLETE ***

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Agreed. Without it we'd have more idiots like me signing unproven guys to contracts like this:
Iiro Tarkki 4 x 1,700,000 DET :shakehead

Hello Matt Read meet Tim Stapleton.

We're fools.

By the way - props to Ryan who noted that I've completely ballsed up the going rate on ELC's. Technically, according to the rule book, they should be 925K not 900K. So, really only Ryan got them right and we should void all other offers. ;)

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002

We're fools.

By the way - props to Ryan who noted that I've completely ballsed up the going rate on ELC's. Technically, according to the rule book, they should be 925K not 900K. So, really only Ryan got them right and we should void all other offers. ;)

i asked in another thread, but maybe this will get more airtime here.

any success stories with UDFA?

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto

We're fools.

If this is true and rules are rules then yes he should get them all since he's the only smart one. If not then rules mean nothing and everyone should be in udfa

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

Yeah, Glencross, Zanon, Pardy and Parenteau. Have hopes for Weise and Gudas.

A couple of years ago it was much easier to sign UDFAs. Everyone would bid on the top 2-3, but people were only putting in a few offers, and most players weren't getting max bids.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
I'm very glad I traded for Stajan (even after a down season) instead of trying to bid on Handzus and Belanger.

You did do the smart thing. I was trying the same but wasn't able to close a deal before bids were due.
Time will tell if I did the right thing in paying that much for Belanger but I think I'll be ok for the first two. Belanger had as about as many points as guys who got more money, has better face-offs, better DF, is fast and is younger. All of which should make him a SIM friendly player ... I hope.

Last edited:

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007

Not an impressive list for me given the number I've signed over the years. Admittedly I've been cursed wrt to lotteries on the most hyped UDFA's. Of those that did pan out they've generally been traded.
Tanev (traded), Ryan Wilson, Cris Kunitz (traded), Blair Betts (traded away and then back), Matt Walker (traded).

The scary part is those were the good one's, have had lots of UDFA's who saw some limited NHL time or who I did not resign and later got their NHL chance (Voros, Cracknell, etc.) but nothing earth shattering.

Still have hope for Ben Smith, Maxim Noreau, and a few others.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Yeah, a few minor successes in guys like Jim Vandermeer, Randy Jones, Ty Conklin and so on, and two more significant successes (not home runs, but solid stand-up doubles) in Dustin Penner and Dennis Wideman. Zuccarello's looking like he might pan out as a top-6 contributor, we'll see.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
ok, well thanks for the feedback guys. looks like some bonafide talent has been mined from this free agent channel.

still cant be bothered to fight over them, i will just trade for them later (Tanev).

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
A couple of guys are signed in Europe for next year:

Linus Klasen
Karlis Skrastins

Maybe there are others.

Linus actually signed with Malmo Redhawks for the next three years without possibility to leave earlier. Rumour mention that Linus got 1.000.000$ in signing bonus AFTER taxes had been paid.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Jokinen gets 8 million a year. Nothing to see here. (but check out the first post for the complete 2nd PHASE of round 1)

Details on ROUND TWO to follow

Oh, Jokinen gets a nice paycheck. My offer for 4x5,5M$ was not enough I see, now time to look for my 2nd line center elsewhere. Good work with the free agency Matthew, I do appreciate it!

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Yes. Thing is we can't assume really when he's going to retire. A 4 year deal at his age is preferable to a shorter term deal in case he does continue to play, however unlikely that is in reality.

Who knows, he might not even play this coming season..Hopefully he will be playing this year but if he is playing in four years time this contract will hurt me, only time could tell if it was a smart move or not.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I agree with this.

The only issue is that in the free agency thread itself the directions were as follows:

Keep in mind the number of contract years for younger player is set in stone. For prospects and rookies under 25 years old - who are also subject to the updated rookie salary cap of $900,000 –they are limited to following contract lengths:

By following the rules as they were outlined in the free agency thread, we protected ourselves against misinterpretation.

I really do hate it for you guys that your bids were disqualified. I think it sucks, but if the detailed outlines in the thread were followed then nobody would have an issue. You can't penalize those that followed the spirit of the thread and then punish them accordingly for inaccurate numbers therein.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
The only issue is that in the free agency thread itself the directions were as follows:

By following the rules as they were outlined in the free agency thread, we protected ourselves against misinterpretation.

I really do hate it for you guys that your bids were disqualified. I think it sucks, but if the detailed outlines in the thread were followed then nobody would have an issue. You can't penalize those that followed the spirit of the thread and then punish them accordingly for inaccurate numbers therein.

I think everything that needed to be said was already said from both sides on the matter, but if you want to drag this out further and beat that dead horse, so be it.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver

I started my offers with $925k for everyone based on the rulebook but we all know that's hardly ever updated so I changed them to $900k based on the instructions in the FA thread.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I think everything that needed to be said was already said from both sides on the matter, but if you want to drag this out further and beat that dead horse, so be it.

To be honest the horse is being beaten by you.

Fact of the matter is that YOU didn't read the rules, YOU didn't submit according to the rules. The fault lies with YOU. Yes, I could have emailed back saying "hey put in the links" and I'm sorry that with my own crazy schedule I didn't check your xls till after the deadline. The onus is on you, and Dryden, and the others. Not us. You're the ones who keep posting about this and Josh stated the obvious in RESPONSE to your and Drydens posts.

Quite frankly I'm starting to take this a little personally, all the way from the threatening emails you sent to the admin, to your childish behavior and responses on the boards. I put in HUNDREDS of hours of my own time for your entertainment. So right now you all can shut the **** up about it. It's done. If you don't like it start your own ****ing league.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
To be honest the horse is being beaten by you.

Fact of the matter is that YOU didn't read the rules, YOU didn't submit according to the rules. The fault lies with YOU. Yes, I could have emailed back saying "hey put in the links" and I'm sorry that with my own crazy schedule I didn't check your xls till after the deadline. The onus is on you, and Dryden, and the others. Not us. You're the ones who keep posting about this and Josh stated the obvious in RESPONSE to your and Drydens posts.

Quite frankly I'm starting to take this a little personally, all the way from the threatening emails you sent to the admin, to your childish behavior and responses on the boards. I put in HUNDREDS of hours of my own time for your entertainment. So right now you all can shut the **** up about it. It's done. If you don't like it start your own ****ing league.

Wow, Matt. That's all I can say here. I've said several times in this thread that I understand rules are rules and I'm accepting the consequences.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
ok. can we all leave this as is and get along with the league now and all this negative energy?

Everybody is stressed to the max right now. With real life deadlines, pressures, and this league related stuff this time of year becomes a really volatile time. It seems like we lose a good GM every year based upon knee jerk type anger regardless of how well things go relatively.

I just wish everybody could walk away from it for a few days and return to it refreshed. I know the admin team has been swamped and having that work spat upon, even by myself to a degree which I regret, is just the final straw in many instances. Especially for what is supposed to be a fun and interesting outlet for our hockey fandom. I think at various points we all become guilty of treating this like our real jobs and passing that stress up the line to those making the decisions.

I know for one, that my trap will remain shut for the duration of this offseason unless an egregious wrong has been done by me. I have seen leagues fold under this kind of pressure in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad