Offensive prospect depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
J17ster said:
This was obviously going to happen, which teams have the best foward depth. The panthers have pretty good foward depth with top end talent in Horton, Stewart and Olesz and good depth in guys like campbell, Globke, Meyer etc.

I'll do the token Caps throw-in w/Ovechkin, Semin, Fehr, Sutherby, Fleischmann, Gordon, Aulin, Klepis, Laich, and Johansson. Bourque and Werner at the collegiate level.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Stars are probably right in the middle of the pack(15-20), since they lack a real top line future star. Polak has the chance to be that, but he probably won't come anywhere close. Then there's guys like Eriksson, Jokinen, Miettinen, Lessard who could be top 6, and guys like Hagos, Crombeen, Lundqvist, Sawada who could fill out the lower lines. Like I said, nothing spectacular, but some solid depth.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
The Pens lack top-end talent outside of Malkin, but have an abundance of guys projecting to be great depth players. Guys like Stone, Talbot, Armstrong, and Endicott. Any three of those guys on one line would project to be an amazing checking line. In terms of depth, they're up there. Not top line talent so much though. Beyond Malkin, all we have are question marks like Anshakov, Eaves, Salmonsson, Moulson, Bartschi, etc. A couple of those guys should be able to play scoring line one day if the Pens are lucky, but far from the best top end talent league wide

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Chaos said:
Stars are probably right in the middle of the pack(15-20), since they lack a real top line future star. Polak has the chance to be that, but he probably won't come anywhere close. Then there's guys like Eriksson, Jokinen, Miettinen, Lessard who could be top 6, and guys like Hagos, Crombeen, Lundqvist, Sawada who could fill out the lower lines. Like I said, nothing spectacular, but some solid depth.
I have a friend in Sweden that raves about Hagos everytime he sees him.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Shishkanov, Radulov, Upshall, Gamache, Soin, Segal, Pivko, Glazachev, Meidl, Platonov and Shafigulin have the Predators in good shape. Plenty of speed, plenty grit and two above average goal scorers, lacking top flight centers hurt though.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Washington (Ovechkin, Semin, Fehr)
New Jersey (Parise, Suglobov, Zajac, Vrana, Voros, Khomutov)
Montreal (Kost, Higgins, Perezhogin, Chipchura, Hossa)

possibly Florida (Stewart, Horton, Olesz)

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
After a lot of years post-expansion without graduating the offensive catalyst they really needed, Nashville's forward prospect pool is today strong, deep, and underrated. That's a team poised for a really bright future. Their defensive group is no slouch either, arguably even more impressive. You could make a decent case that Nashville's #6 organizational ranking on HF is low... though a goalie prospect with some upside is the notable missing ingredient.

In my book they're perhaps top three in the forward pool, though. That group doesn't get a lot of ink.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
As mentionned in this thread already...in no particular order

Washington
Montreal
New Jersey
Nashville
Chicago
Los Angeles

are a few teams with deep prospects pools among their forwards

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I'd try to stay away from callin the Sharks in the other threads since most people recognize what good depth they have at defense and goaltending...but I think most might not realize they have very good depth at forward. You have a couple of top flight guys in Milan Michalek and possibly Steve Bernier. Chock full of prospects with 2nd line potential with Joshua Hennessy, Marcel Goc (he's just amazing), Lukas Kaspar, and more towards the end of the spectrum Tomas Plihal but he might turn out to be SJ's new Zalesak (NHL offense but bum defense). Lower lines they have the making of an elite checking winger with the unheralded Mike Morris rounded out by more current and former collegiate players, Joe Pavelski (playin no ones second fiddle to Robbie Earl) and undersized Shane Joseph, Torrey Mitchell, and Ryane Clowe (former Q player). There's a reason why alot of experts are high on the Sharks for now and in the future.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Vancouver's probably bottom 5 in the league in this category.

King, Reid and Bouck aren't prospects anymore and given that:
-Ryan Kesler is our only bet to make the NHL and he doesn't have 1st line potential
-Fedor Fedorov is who everyone thinks of but he has no hope of making the NHL at this point
-Kruikunov may make the NHL as a top 6 forward but if he doesn't, he'll likely return to Russia
-Gladskikh is also a boom-bust prospect like Krikunov
-Bernier may make the NHL as a 2nd-3rd liner
-Brandon Nolan may make the NHL as a 4th-line-AHL filler if he's lucky

Overall, our forward prospects are unbelievably weak. Even the ones we do have, none have top-line scoring potential. Kesler will make the NHL and my guess is that Kruikunov will bust, Gladskikh will become a 2nd liner for the Canucks while Bernier makes it as a 3rd liner.

espo*

George Bachul said:
I have a friend in Sweden that raves about Hagos everytime he sees him.
I've heard the same thing from the Swedish guys i know also.They always rave about him.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
CBus for sure. Danny Fritsche, Alex Picard, Adam Pineault, Timmy Jackman, and a longshot I really like Arsi Piispanen. Add them to the likes of Nash, Zherdev, and Svitov, that is some serious depth right there.

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
BlueBleeder said:
Blues have alot of depth fowards. Nobody really top line material but a few 2nd liners and a ton of 3rd and 4th liners.

Soderberg, Zhakarov, Backes, Shotov all have top line potential but most of them would have B's or C's or D's next to their 8's.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Flyers are loaded at center:

Jeff Carter
Mike Richards
Patick Sharp
R.J Umberger
Ryan Potulny

Chances are that one or two will be moved to the wing at the NHL level, Sharp will almost certainly be a wing in the NHL.

Flyers are a bit thin on the wing:

Stefan Ruzicka
Ben Eager
Alexander Drozdetsky

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
John Flyers Fan said:
The Flyers are loaded at center:

Jeff Carter
Mike Richards
Patick Sharp
R.J Umberger
Ryan Potulny

Chances are that one or two will be moved to the wing at the NHL level, Sharp will almost certainly be a wing in the NHL.

Flyers are a bit thin on the wing:

Stefan Ruzicka
Ben Eager
Alexander Drozdetsky

Id still say Caps...Alex Ovo and Semin....

...Flyers might have the best Center depth though :handclap:

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Eric Fehr is really tearing it up, scoring at just shy of a goal per game pace. Leads the WHL in goals, second in scoring at about 1.5 pts per game. All three of Fehr, Semin and Ovechkin are having offensively potent seasons, for that matter.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For the Habs, offense is their strength.

Perezhogin and Kostitsyn both have an impressive amount of offensive skill. Last in the AHL, Perezhogin was one of the top goal scorers in the 2nd half of the season and until his stick swinging incident he was leading the playoffs in goals per game.

Plekanec led the Bulldogs in scoring last year and leads them this year. Good all round offensive game.

Higgins has been a top scorer on every team he's played on since his USHS days.

Hossa has lots of offensive skills, although he may never learn how to put them to good use.

Chipchura is showing a solid offensive production, leading his team in scoring and right around top 10 in the WHL.

With Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, Hossa the Habs have a number of skilled forwards. Plus they have 2nd tier guys like Corey Locke, Cory Urquhart, Duncan Milroy, Mikhail Grabovsky and J T Wyman. Not saying even half of these guys will ever see the NHL, cause I don't know will happen in the future, but I do know they have a lot of offensive forwards.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Problem with Montreal's top forward prospects is that they are all skill guys, there isn't any power forward types. They don't have the same balance that teams like Florida, Washington, Philli, Columbus or LA have. If the Habs had a couple good power forward prospects they'd probably be at the top because of the great skilled forwards they already have.

leafaholix*

Koltsov said:
Problem with Montreal's top forward prospects is that they are all skill guys, there isn't any power forward types. They don't have the same balance that teams like Florida, Washington, Philli, Columbus or LA have. If the Habs had a couple good power forward prospects they'd probably be at the top because of the great skilled forwards they already have.
A lot of Montreal's forwards are hit-or-miss. Meaning they'll hit their potential or spend the rest of their careers in the minors or Europe. Cory Urquhart, Andrei Kostitsyn, Corey Locke, and Marcel Hossa being the primary guys. If they don't produce much at the NHL level, they're really not usefull because of either size, softness, or lack of intensity or defensive play.

That's another problem.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
At Center for the Leafs

Steen
Stajan
Wellwood
Mitchell

on the wing
Earl
Williams
Sagat
Volkov

:( I know we need some help on the wing

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Leafaholix said:
A lot of Montreal's forwards are hit-or-miss. Meaning they'll hit their potential or spend the rest of their careers in the minors or Europe. Cory Urquhart, Andrei Kostitsyn, Corey Locke, and Marcel Hossa being the primary guys. If they don't produce much at the NHL level, they're really not usefull because of either size, softness, or lack of intensity or defensive play.

That's another problem.

Why would you say that I ask?

Chris Higgins, Tomas Plekanec and Alexander Perezhogin have all had success in the AHL, and I don't see why they can't make the NHL in the very near future...

Kostitsyn, I will give to you, has alot of work to do on the rest of his game, but the skills are there, it's just a matter of adjusting right now...

Kyle Chipchura has everything needed to become a solid pro in the NHL, he'll use the next 2 to 3 years to improve his skating explosiveness and his shot, but apart from that, I don't see any glaring weaknesses...

Marcel Hossa has struggled with consistency in his career, but he's only 22yrs old, and if he didin't have the name Hossa on the back of his jersey, I'd bet alot more people would be higher on him, everybody acts so disapointed in him, but really they're just comparing him to his brother, and that is unfair IMO...

So I don't know if i'd say that there are alot of hit or miss prospects in Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->