Offensive Defencemen

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
Vlasic is up towards the top....but really, I don't know too much about too many prospects other than the Shark's minor league boys....just thought I'd give him some props though!

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Vlasic is up towards the top....but really, I don't know too much about too many prospects other than the Shark's minor league boys....just thought I'd give him some props though!

I believe Vlasic made the Sharks and is therefor in the NHL (For now - he's still only 19 and can be sent back to junior).

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
It looks like Yandle has a chance of making the Coyotes this year, but it will likely be on the bottom pairing. Eventually he'll work his way up, and he's one of the most gifted offensive defenseman who has yet to play an NHL game, but the Coyotes are stacked on defense, so he's got his work cut out for him.

rollon

Jun 7, 2005
Vlasic, Coulombe, Yandle, Letang, Scalzo ...

A simple coincidence or the LHJMQ forms good offensive defender.

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
Vlasic, Coulombe, Yandle, Letang, Scalzo ...

A simple coincidence or the LHJMQ forms good offensive defender.

Not really coincidence in that aspect. It's widely known the Q generates more offense than the other two junior leagues and therefore players' point totals will be exaggerated. Q d-men also have had trouble translating their game to the NHL level in the past few years. Try thinking of 3 d-men that play a significant role (Top 4 -dman, let's say) for their club right now that came out of the Q. Maybe with the new rule changes, things will gradually change but that's just conjecture for now...

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
It's a widely believed myth that the QMJHL generates more offense than do the other leagues.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
What do you think a list of the top 10-15 purely offensive defencemen not playing in the NHL would look like?

Pock
Sanguinetti
Vlasic
Yandle
EJ
Bourdon
Letang
Franson (Cody)
Klein
Gervais
Smid
Barker

Some guys might be NHL this year though..

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
I would've thought Barker would be further up the list. We'll see anyway, with the Hawks only naming 6 defenseman on their roster it looks like Barker will be playing this year with hopefully Cullimore being the 7th defenseman.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Myth? It's a fact. Look at the numbers...

I believe the OHL has been fractionally higher scoring at times and the two are pretty equal.

More top defensemen do come from the WHL and OHL though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sanguinetti is ripping up the OHL thus far. Fourth in league scoring with 11 points (including six goals).

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
Which numbers are those?

From last year alone:

WHL - teams scored an average of 2.9 goals/game & average of 209 goals/team for the season
OHL - 3.5 goals/game & average of 238 goals/team
QMJHL - 3.7 goals/game & average of 259 goals/team

It's been this way for a number of years. And the numbers from last year are going to be a little off because the WHL didn't use the new "crackdown" on obstruction penalties while the other two leagues did. If you went back to past years, there would be a bigger discrepancy between the "O" and the "Q".

I'm still waiting on a list of Top 4 d-men that have come out of the Q in the last few years (let's say under the age of 30 so that's given them more than enough time to establish themselves---10+ years). Off the top of my head I can only think of:

F. Beauchemin
M. Bergeron (can be argued if he's even a top 4 guy right now, but I'm including him for arguement's sake)
C. White

And those aren't exactly "elite" d-men. So 3 d-men in the last 10 years have come from the Q and been able to play in a team's top four. Not a great number. I'm not knocking any league, just pointing out the differences. If we were to look at goaltenders the "Q" would thrive. But when it comes to producing NHL capable d-men, the "Q" has been lacking...

jess52

Nov 26, 2005
PEI
Can't believe no one has mentioned Marc-Andre Gragnani
Last season with the PEI Rocket he had 71 pts in 69 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad