pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
Cat goes to :pb:

wnyD75L.jpg
Somebody needs a time-out...

2 or 5 minute penalty.....deliberate intent to injure???

Last edited:

Ron Quixote

Bring all the lovers to the fold...
Feb 15, 2007
The 'Ville - Bullitt County
Plenty of older people get their kicks whining about how weak and ineffective the younger generation is. The problem is, if you over protect kids, they become unable to do things on their own. There are obviously precautions everyone should take, but paranoia will do more harm than good eventually.
I get zero kicks whining about anything... and I consider myself vigilant instead of paranoid.

Ron Quixote

Bring all the lovers to the fold...
Feb 15, 2007
The 'Ville - Bullitt County
To the grieving pet owners; take a smidge of solace knowing that your grief is only a drop in the bucket compared to the love and comfort we shared with our furry family.

To the job-seekers... best of luck in your search.

Reactions: sooshii

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I think crime statistics are like advanced stats in hockey - they have to be taken in context. For instance, where I live crimes like burglaries are way down from years past. Then again, every house now has a monitored alarm, which none used to have.

Do I feel safer? No, I don't.

I extend heartfelt sympathies on the pet losses. A couple of months ago, I thought we were about to lose my parents' 14 old cat who I am very attached to. Miraculously she pulled through and is fine, but I was devastated thinking about putting her down.

I don't know if it was mentioned, but Pat DiNizio of the Smithereens passed away, at only 62.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Pat DiNizio of the Smithereens passed away. One of my favorite bands from way back

Pat DiNizio, giant of NJ rock scene, dies at 62

How ironic that this picture was taken in June 2013 when The Smithereens were opening for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

2017-12-13.png

In case anyone's unfamiliar with The Smithereens have a listed to one of their best songs:

:(

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm in the "older" generation, but I've moved around a lot on my own. And now that I'm in the consulting business, I know I won't say at a client for very long. My last contract got extended a couple of times and I was there for about 20 months. That's a long time. My current contract is for 4 months. It's the nature of the business that I chose. I've also moved between three different consulting companies, because I don't feel that loyalty is a huge thing any more (at least in my line of work). That may change with my current company, as I like them a lot. but ultimately, it will come down to whether or not they can get me my next contract.

Lou's experience is pretty typical - benefits dwindle, expectations increase, and pay struggles to keep up with the standard of living. Joe, I think your experience is more the exception than the norm. But I'm glad for your sake that you were with that particular company during your tough time.

I worked in retail as a manager prior to my stint where I am now. It was like night and day compared to that job, but apparently we are the exception and not the rule.

I don’t think the company I work for necessary pays the highest salary, but we are employee-owned, have been around 100+ years, have profit sharing and stock offerings and a pension plan. I haven’t worked at a lot of different places, but enough to know that I would be hard pressed to find a more stable company to work for.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Were the people that think it's safer now over growing up in the 70's, growing up in the 70's? Maybe it's because the new generation stays inside all the time?

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Pat DiNizio of the Smithereens passed away. One of my favorite bands from way back

How ironic that this picture was taken this June when The Smithereens were opening for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

2017-12-13.png

In case anyone's unfamiliar with The Smithereens have a listed to one of their best songs:

This is unfortunate. I have liked the Smithereens since hearing “Blood and Roses” on the soundtrack for a not particularly good movie called “Dangerously Close”.

Didn’t realize he was that old, but the song was released in 1986, so I guess I should have :dunno:

Reactions: Chief Nine

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Basically everything Michael Scott ever said to Toby applies here.

Never really watched the Office that closely, but I assume this has something to do with the stereotypes of HR and the people in the profession.

Which, I don't have the energy to argue with, so I will just smile and nod.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

How ironic that this picture was taken this June when The Smithereens were opening for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

2017-12-13.png

Love this song. Also "Behind The Wall of Sleep"

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
This is unfortunate. I have liked the Smithereens since hearing “Blood and Roses” on the soundtrack for a not particularly good movie called “Dangerously Close”.

Didn’t realize he was that old, but the song was released in 1986, so I guess I should have :dunno:

Another great song. Severely underrated band and Pat DiNizio was a really good songwriter and guitarist. (Much better than another grossly overrated songwriter from the same state...)

Reactions: BMC

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
House hunting is so incredibly stressful. Especially when you consider the cost of living where i live. Holy balls.

That said, i just booked my flights to Vegas in February for 4 nights at the Linq. Only $700 for everything including a return flight.

Just booked my flight to my buddies Stag party in Denver... 15 of us going, 4 games in 4 nights (Denver vs Minnesota, Rockies vs Braves, Av's vs Blues, and Rockies vs Braves series finale) - Thats going to be a complete gonger of a weekend.

Then, booked flights back east for a little trip in the summer to work on the old mans house with him for a bit.

Then, booked a flight to Toronto for Boots & Hearts music festival.

The last few days my credit card has taken a beating, hahaha.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
House hunting is so incredibly stressful. Especially when you consider the cost of living where i live. Holy balls.

That said, i just booked my flights to Vegas in February for 4 nights at the Linq. Only $700 for everything including a return flight.

Just booked my flight to my buddies Stag party in Denver... 15 of us going, 4 games in 4 nights (Denver vs Minnesota, Rockies vs Braves, Av's vs Blues, and Rockies vs Braves series finale) - Thats going to be a complete gonger of a weekend.

Then, booked flights back east for a little trip in the summer to work on the old mans house with him for a bit.

Then, booked a flight to Toronto for Boots & Hearts music festival.

The last few days my credit card has taken a beating, hahaha.
Looks like you've got quite the itinerary coming up. Have a blast! (but be careful in Vegas!)

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
How do I get the DM alert to come up as big as day when someone messages me? I thought I had that set.
sorry Bets. :oops:

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
The company I work for is a $6 billion dollar business.

I read what you posted and offered a counterpoint. Every company and individual is different.

Interesting discussion. As the future of work continues to evolve, the secret of long term employment with one company has remained fairly static - execute or be executed, add value, build relationships, do what the majority won't/be flexible and be aware of your limitations.

I have worked for the same company for 37 years (50+ billion dollar/year business) in various roles and have seen lots let go over the years (just laid off 500+ in late October out of a workforce of over 175,000+). People swept up in this last round were let go for 4 reasons - redundancy, poor performance/poor choice, technology/outsource, or over compensation.

The first three reasons are usually early/mid career disruptions, ie - hired to implement/train new process, once completed - the job ends. You will be at risk so be aware and ensure you also provide other value - most organizations will find a fit elsewhere. The last reason is usually a late career disruption as you move up the ladder in title and pay/compensation. At some point the business will assess it's return on investment and if you are not as committed as you once were (normal course of action as priorities shift to kids and social engagements that start to take precedence over our jobs) and are blocking younger talent, you are at risk. Just as your path was being blocked by someone else earlier in you career. It sucks but it is business. Usually, in our business at least, when you get to this point you should be very well set up for the rest of your life as long as you realized that this is the end game and prepared yourself accordingly.

I have always approached my job with the understanding that when I get paid the business has met it's short term obligations to me. It is up to me to continue to give them reasons to keep paying me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->