OT: Off-Topic Thread - 2018 - It's summertime summertime sum sum summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It's true, and I think it's finally dawning on my parents generation.

I can't tell you how many tinmes I had to hear something along the lines of "When I was your age" in regards to moving out, buying a house, etc. My parents, God bless them, just didn't get it for the longest time.

That's not to say they weren't supportive because they were.

I hope something changes for the generation tha my kids will be a part of, because frankly, I have no idea how they'll be able to live if everything keeps getting more and more expensive but wages don't continue to climb.

I think there will be a correction on that front in the next 10-20 years.

Figure in that time you will have a lot of boomers retiring/downsizing/moving into communities or nursing homes/outright dying.

That is going to open up a lot of jobs and real estate in a short amount of time. So you're going to see wages rise as jobs need to compete for talent more and housing prices drop with the supply outpacing demand.

Basically soon there will be a large vacuum created by the boomer generation moving out of the workforce and housing market.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Yeah, we have snow and cold weather in the winter, but we very rarely have tornadoes touch down, and if they do, they're nowhere near the size that you guys get in Texas. Fun place to visit though. Never had a bad time there, regardless of where in Texas I went. And the BBQ is killer.
Tornadoes in the summer and ice storms in the winter are the two main things I'm concerned about for the next 13 months. But bring on the BBQ all contract long! @Kovi and I actually had really good BBQ at the Rusty Can in Byfield last weekend. It was really good. Can't wait to sample some from Texas.

Reactions: LSCII

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm 32, I manage a small team of people (4). I have 3 employees who are 30-33, and one who is 24. The 24 year old has no idea how to deal with stress, or problems, and expects to be praised for essentially doing his job. The other three? Not one bit.

My friend who manages a much larger team of people has the exact same complaint.

This was a conversation I was just having with two separate people at different time this past week: one manages a groups of nurses and she observed that the ones recently out of school- that 21-25 age group essentially feel like it is good enough just to show up and expect to be praised for it. The second runs a home health care group and made pretty the same observation. Sad, really.

Reactions: BMC

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Tornadoes in the summer and ice storms in the winter are the two main things I'm concerned about for the next 13 months. But bring on the BBQ all contract long! @Kovi and I actually had really good BBQ at the Rusty Can in Byfield last weekend. It was really good. Can't wait to sample some from Texas.

Are you coming to Texas, then? Tornadoes are rare in most parts of the state, so depending on where you go, the risk is from almost never to never. Ice storms, yeah they suck, but again, are not that common, except for certain places like along the Red River in north Texas- same place that you tend to get more tornadoes. When I lived around Austin for a decade, I think we had one ice storm that did more than just make it slick for a couple of hours. Here in east Texas, we get them a bit more often, but it seems like only every few years where we get a bad one (like this past January).

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Are you coming to Texas, then? Tornadoes are rare in most parts of the state, so depending on where you go, the risk is from almost never to never. Ice storms, yeah they suck, but again, are not that common, except for certain places like along the Red River in north Texas- same place that you tend to get more tornadoes. When I lived around Austin for a decade, I think we had one ice storm that did more than just make it slick for a couple of hours. Here in east Texas, we get them a bit more often, but it seems like only every few years where we get a bad one (like this past January).
I'll be going to Wichita Falls for 13 months starting in a couple of weeks, so I'll be right in the area along the Red River you described. I'll be catching up with a high school friend who now lives in Arlington at some point during my travels too, which will be nice.

Reactions: Kovi

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

There's a place in Northborough called Texas BBQ that is really tremendous. BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge is also really good. Texas BBQ is slightly better, but you can't go wrong with either. We bought a smoker last summer, so we're now doing our own BBQ just about every weekend.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It's true, and I think it's finally dawning on my parents generation.

I can't tell you how many tinmes I had to hear something along the lines of "When I was your age" in regards to moving out, buying a house, etc. My parents, God bless them, just didn't get it for the longest time.

That's not to say they weren't supportive because they were.

I hope something changes for the generation tha my kids will be a part of, because frankly, I have no idea how they'll be able to live if everything keeps getting more and more expensive but wages don't continue to climb.

My first new car was like 160/mth. My daughter needed a reliable car, used, barely any credit history established. $300 per month

I made more money in 2009 then I do now. And I am on salary and bonus. The bonus is very good, but less, but between taxes, 401k, health care, and Aflac, I take home 10% less now. I get 46% of my check taken out for these things. When I started, I got federal, state and SSI taken out. That's it. I haven't received over a 2% raise in ten years. I generally get that in my check when my new insurance premiums take over, and back in the hole further.

All parents (me included) run that "When I was your age" shit. And like I said, I think my kids are somewhat entitled, but we were the same for the most part.

My wife and I had a mortgage and lived on our own with $1400 combined per week gross income, about 1000 bucks per month after taxes. Good luck finding a human of any age owning anything, never mind being on their own with that wage today.

My mom and mom in law never came to my house without three bags of groceries....treated us to nice vacations to make memories, baby sat for free on date nights, were generous when they came into good fortune and did so, so soooo much more.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'll be going to Wichita Falls for 13 months starting in a couple of weeks, so I'll be right in the area along the Red River you described. I'll be catching up with a high school friend who now lives in Arlington at some point during my travels too, which will be nice.

Yep that was exactly the place I had in mind when I thought of ice storms and tornados :laugh: Arlington is okay for a suburb- I went to school there at UTA. It will be fun trip for you I think- you are arriving just in time to scorch, though. :eek:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Oh no doubt, and I'm sure I'll witness that first hand sooner rather than later.

I'll alwasy appreciate my parents for the fact that they'd let me make my decisions on things, good or bad, and then make me deal with the consequences of that decision. It's definitely helped me as an adult.

I'm 32, I manage a small team of people (4). I have 3 employees who are 30-33, and one who is 24. The 24 year old has no idea how to deal with stress, or problems, and expects to be praised for essentially doing his job. The other three? Not one bit.

My friend who manages a much larger team of people has the exact same complaint.

I wish parents could understand that they are doing their child a diservice by acting like that.

That's the part that I see as well. I'm a manager. If they are under 28 it seems and get a bad review or need improvement they actually cry a lot of times and I wind up consoling them. I consult with friends that are managers and they are having a real hard time with these younger employees, they cannot deal with criticism or deadlines, or when things go off the rails.

My son, tough as nails was actually pissed he got a 39 out 40 targets on a part of his shooting exam at the academy. He said some people got 40. The next day he popped 60 out of 60 and his mood was completely different.

Reactions: Alicat and BMC

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
time for a random thought from me-

I just realized I have never seen a tornado. I have seriously had so many dreams about them. That seem so real, that I keep thinking Ive seen one. But in reality, I have never seen one in my life. so strange, and Im totally sober right now.

In 2011, during the cup finals, we had that cell over us that touched down in Springfield. It touched down in several towns all around us, and the entire time I was just praying that it didn't impact the cable so I could keep watching the game. My wife goes how can you watch hockey at a time like this? And I was like, baby, it's the cup finals...

Also was in Dallas at the airport and saw one touch down in the distance. All the flights had been cancelled and we were all sitting there in front of a giant wall of glass watching as this thing swept across the landscape. Very unnerving.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Obviously the story is an extreme case.

But if millennials are so "unprepared for life" as you said, wouldn't a large part of that be the fault of their parents, amongst other things?

Personally, I think there's a large number of my generation that are just absolutely pathetic humans. And they typically are the ones that had helicopter parents that would prop them up as being the greatest thing ever, and never scolding them, etc. But that's not my entire generation, not even close.

But it's hard to get out of your parents house when you graduate school with 50-150K in debt, are making 30K a year in an entry level position, and have to pay an exorbenant amount in rent every month.

Trust me, I did not want to be in my parents house as long as I was after college. It sucked, and it frankly put my life on hold. But it literally would ghave been impossible for me to afford to move out, pay loans, and then have money to feed myself.

We become "pathetic", as you say, when we dont connect. When kids arent allowed to connect with other kids, AS KIDS, that creates a fear-based atmosphere. They become more and more isolated.
I see it in my grown meditation students all the time. One of the hardest activities we do is called a diyad. You simply have to make eye contact with a partner for as long as you can and hold their gaze. Honestly students would rather be in a tank with sharks than connect at eye level intimately.

If we cant look, touch, laugh, smile and talk, we are done as a human race.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I agree kids have it tougher today. Although I didnt exactly have a golden ticket. Im 60 . Ive been working full time since I was 16.
I never had an opportunity to go to college and earn a degree. Some of that was just bad luck and some admittedly self inflected.

But I am by far the luckiest son of a bitch to ever walk this earth.

As a door closed another opened. Ive been a Director of Operations for 12 years now at a major biotech. Over 30 reports in multiple departments. Me with a high school diploma with PHDs working for me.

The Bride and I married in 1981. Combined we made $250 a week. Without my parents we would have starved.

We wanted and tried to have kids. But medically we couldnt. Then as the years went by science caught up to our issues. Although later in life we were blessed with 3 kids. The twins didnt come along until I was 41.

I knew then that I would do everything I could to help them go where I didnt go. I opened college funds their first year of life. Damn near every raise or bonus has gone in there for 24 years now. I paid tuition and fees in advance through the UPlan. Locked in those prices. Some told me I was crazy. But now at this stage of life its the best thing I ever did.

All 3 had their first adult decision to make. The funds were theirs to use. There was enough to attend a state school or a portion towards a private school. But again their decision.

All 3 ultimately chose UMass. None of them will owe a single dime coming out. Zilch. If they want to go for a Masters, thats on them.

But theres a catch. Its their job to earn that degree. Not put me and mom through any insane bull shit. Sure spread your wings but there are limits and consequences. One being me shutting off the tap.

They also must volunteer for something. Food bank, community farm, tutoring, I dont care but something. .

But I do see the stress they and other kids are under. Some coming out with loans or not being able to find work in their fields. My oldest worked his ass off. Just got his Masters last week. Hes heading to Livermore Labs in Ca. on an internship. Starting at 75K with the opportunity to apply for 10 permanent positions they have mutual interest in. Thats what I prayed for , for 24 years.

So my plan. My hope. My legacy I guess was to provide the best leg up I could with some restrictions.

I’ll never save a life. Or invent something important. Or cure cancer. But if and when all is said and done they speak of me sincerely as not only a loved dad but a good one then I will have spent the brief time we have here the best I ever could.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
In 2011, during the cup finals, we had that cell over us that touched down in Springfield. It touched down in several towns all around us, and the entire time I was just praying that it didn't impact the cable so I could keep watching the game. My wife goes how can you watch hockey at a time like this? And I was like, baby, it's the cup finals...

Also was in Dallas at the airport and saw one touch down in the distance. All the flights had been cancelled and we were all sitting there in front of a giant wall of glass watching as this thing swept across the landscape. Very unnerving.
I remember the one in 2011 like yesterday. We had directv then but they were showing reports about the storm instead of the game 1 pre game show. And i was worried they werent gonna air the game. Lol

Reactions: LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->