OFF TOPIC- How to go about bein a ref?

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
If this needs to be moved to an off topic thread I apologize.

Anyways. I need a second job. Just want some extra cash in my pocket and I don't want to bartend/restaraunt etc etc. What betetr way than to skate and be a ref? I'd actually enjoy goin to work (for the most part).

What do I have to do? License? American Hockey somethin or other? I'd imagine so...

Like lots of others here I'd imagine. Been skating since 5 and play on a couple teams and know plenty about the game. Where do I sign up???

Thanks!

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Well...depending on where you live, there are referee orientations. First thing you will want to do is get certified by USA Hockey or Hockey Canada if you live in Canada. This is generally done during the beginner referee orientation. Most orientations are in August/September. Check out the USA Hockey website.

Relatively simple process. Any questions feel free to ask, I've gone through it. Hopefully will get back into it once my knee is fixed.

EDIT: In general, the most important part of officiating is positioning. You are out of position, you miss the call 100% of the time.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
If this needs to be moved to an off topic thread I apologize.

Anyways. I need a second job. Just want some extra cash in my pocket and I don't want to bartend/restaraunt etc etc. What betetr way than to skate and be a ref? I'd actually enjoy goin to work (for the most part).

What do I have to do? License? American Hockey somethin or other? I'd imagine so...

Like lots of others here I'd imagine. Been skating since 5 and play on a couple teams and know plenty about the game. Where do I sign up???

Thanks!

Start by joining USA Hockey:

http://www.usahockey.com/

Look for the Officials section. You have to take a course and pass to be certified, but once you are you can start reffing official USA hockey games. From there you work your way up.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
You're vision can't be any better that 200/200. They wont even talk to you if you're not wearing coke bottles...

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Start by joining USA Hockey:

http://www.usahockey.com/

Look for the Officials section. You have to take a course and pass to be certified, but once you are you can start reffing official USA hockey games. From there you work your way up.

Thanks! Yeah I am part of USA hockey as a player but, ill check into if its different for a ref...probly.

Once you get past level 1, or whatever they call it, it seems to be decent money. and for something I would actually like to do....

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Thanks! Yeah I am part of USA hockey as a player but, ill check into if its different for a ref...probly.

Once you get past level 1, or whatever they call it, it seems to be decent money. and for something I would actually like to do....

Best of luck. If things go well, we'll all be booing ya!

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Ask a ref at your next game. They will help you. There are clinics everywhere in august usually.

Don't do it for the money though! its not worth it. Refs get alot of abuse you need to be able to blow it off. Not everyone can do it, and even the most mild mannered thick skinned ref will have his bad games too. Do it because you love the game, not the money.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
What district do you live in??

I am in Buffalo New York.... whatever that district is...?

Keetz; said:
Ask a ref at your next game. They will help you. There are clinics everywhere in august usually.

Don't do it for the money though! its not worth it. Refs get alot of abuse you need to be able to blow it off. Not everyone can do it, and even the most mild mannered thick skinned ref will have his bad games too. Do it because you love the game, not the money.

Good point. I'll ask at my next game.

I agree...I'd do it for a second job. And I assume not every job is perfect and there are plenty of cons to go with it. BUT, I think I could handle the flack and not let it get to me.

WhoozYerrDaddy

May 5, 2004
I am in Buffalo New York.... whatever that district is...?

New York district.

Guess it doesn't really matter what district you're in. What I was going for was whether you were in Canada or the US. Check the officials section of www.usahockey.com for info on new officials registration procedure. That's probably where any official that you ask will probably send you.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Curious...what do starting refs make per game? Does it go up as you ascend to the higher levels?

Out her in L.A. its 35$ a game starting out, but you are considered a independent contractor so no taxes are taken out. you have to deal with that stuff.

Berger_4_

Dec 17, 2006
Bawlf Alberta Canada
35 bucks a game??? thats ridiculous. everyone's always complaining about a shortage of quality refs, and then the ones who do ref get like...13 bucks a game starting out in novice or whatever...its awful. doesn't even pay for gas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->