Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 12th: We don't know Dickey (about any extension. Yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafssss

Jun 23, 2010
CANADA
Kershaw was the runner up last season and won the year before. He was the youngest player to ever win the Cy and the pitching triple crown.

Kershaw >>>>> Dickey and that isnt an insult against Dickey.

I know, just having a little fun.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Exactly. Once you're a favorite you're at least in the mix of things and have a chance to make it. Let's not forget that Washington may have gone deeper in the playoffs if not for their idiotic decision to shut down Strasburg

I guess they decided years success out of Strasburg is worth more than the risk of burning his arm out.

Kessley Snipes*

I guess they decided years success out of Strasburg is worth more than the risk of burning his arm out.

For a guy who was arguing that getting RA Dickey doesnt guarantee anything a few pages ago, it's interesting that you can't see the argument that this may have been the Nats only chance to compete. Given that nothing is guaranteed.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
As always there are "fans" who are coming out and trying to discredit Toronto. Trying to argue that there are other rotations that are better instead of being happy and excited for the upcoming season. We have a legit team here now.

Who's discrediting Toronto? I'm just being a realist and stating that Toronto does not have the best rotation in the league, because it's quite foolish to think so. On the bright side of all this is that Toronto has one of the best offensive teams in the league too, so we're in much better shape than others.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I wonder what Vegas odds are after this trade.

Last I heard it was around 7-1, just behind the Yankees and just above the Rays. I don't know if that was before or after this pending Dicky trade though. I doubt it would drastically change it.

Couple points:

The lack of respect for Mat Moore in this thread is absolutely hilarious. People are not even including him in the Rays top 3 :laugh:

Gio will not be a top 5 pitcher in the next 5-7 years. Tough time seeing him be better than: Kershaw, Price, Verlander, Strasburg, Hernandez, Hamels, Weaver, Cain -- to name a few off the top of my head.

Some of the hate against Grienke seemingly because of his contract is unwarranted. He's been a top 10 pitcher in baseball since 2008, where he broke out, and is absolutely better than Josh Johnson.

Lastly, Baumgartner is certainly worth the hype. He has proved a lot. I won't even bother arguing this point, but I have no problem doing so, if anyone questions it.

EDIT:

Holy ....

I could add so much more to this list.

tumblr_lkyhcb79cn1qa13jj.jpg

Nice response. Epictetus has a strong point.

91Kadri91*

Oh well!

I'm excited about how our rotation looks now but not crazy about what we gave up. I'm more disturbed about Syndergaard going than D'Arnaud.

I love what AA is doing overall though.

We have a top 10 pick this draft and it is supposedly a 'strong' overall draft and that will net us another top 50-100 type prospect most likely.

Where did you hear/read that? Everything I've read/heard suggests otherwise.

Not saying you're wrong, just interested to know what makes you believe this is supposed to be a strong draft class.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario

Do you actually have an argument against anything I said, or are you just going to continue to troll?

Nice response. Epictetus has a strong point.

Yeah, I fail to see how anything I said was worthy of that kind of response or was me being negative.

I don't have any response to your argument because I don't believe there was any point in you making it.

Re-read the thread (the last few pages), and you will see specific posts mentioning all those players in which there is a clear level of disrespect (or lack of baseball knowledge).

Kessley Snipes*

Do you actually have an argument against anything I said, or are you just going to continue to troll?

I don't have any response to your argument because I don't believe there was any point in you making it.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
For a guy who was arguing that getting RA Dickey doesnt guarantee anything a few pages ago, it's interesting that you can't see the argument that this may have been the Nats only chance to compete. Given that nothing is guaranteed.

It is consistent with my argument. Not to risk everything on a small window over long term success.
Strasburg was at his preset innings limit coming of a serious arm injury. It was better to shut him down than risk his arm and a second Tommy John's surgery.

Just like I think it is better for the Jays to try to be competitive for the next 10-20 years rather than go all in on a 2-3 year window.

wisdomkid

Jul 6, 2009
Richmond Hill
I try to follow the Jays, but I dont know a lot about our farm system. I understand that we have been touting D'arnaud since we got him but is he really the best C prospect? Is this like the hype around Weiters when he was a prospect?

Kessley Snipes*

I is consistent with my argument. Not to risk everything on a small window over long term success.
Strasburg was at his preset innings limit coming of a serious arm injury. It was better to shut him down than risk his arm and a second Tommy John's surgery.

Just like I think it is better for the Jays to try to be competitive for the next 10-20 years rather than go all in on a 2-3 year window.

The two are not mutually exclusive. Good franchises can go all in for a 2-3 year window while not detrimentally harming their long term chances. I have faith in our General Manager and our Development system which says that when this 2-3 year window closes, we will have the assets in place to ensure long term success. Some people just can't grasp the concept that you can go all in without harming your long term prospects.

Scion

May 25, 2012
11-11 record, 3.81 ERA, 177.1 IP, 175 SO to 81 BB

I see that ERA staying around that mark, he could hit 200 IP would be pretty impressive, he's a k an inning guy which is also damn good, but the walks are way too high.

He will have his ups and down, and am really unsure if he's ready to be the #3 guy and be counted on for another 3-5 wins, same with Hellickson.

3 very young guys in the rotation next season, not much reliability past Price.

Matt Moore was the third best SP in the Rays rotation when they still had Shields... :facepalm:

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Couple points:

The lack of respect for Mat Moore in this thread is absolutely hilarious. People are not even including him in the Rays top 3 :laugh:

Gio will not be a top 5 pitcher in the next 5-7 years. Tough time seeing him be better than: Kershaw, Price, Verlander, Strasburg, Hernandez, Hamels, Weaver, Cain -- to name a few off the top of my head.

Some of the hate against Grienke seemingly because of his contract is unwarranted. He's been a top 10 pitcher in baseball since 2008, where he broke out, and is absolutely better than Josh Johnson.

Lastly, Baumgartner is certainly worth the hype. He has proved a lot. I won't even bother arguing this point, but I have no problem doing so, if anyone questions it.

EDIT:

Holy ....

I could add so much more to this list.

n2iwav.jpg

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
i hope the trade doesnt go through ...1 season doesnt make a #1 pitcher especially a 38 yr old knuckler

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I try to follow the Jays, but I dont know a lot about our farm system. I understand that we have been touting D'arnaud since we got him but is he really the best C prospect? Is this like the hype around Weiters when he was a prospect?

I'd say the hype is warranted.
He was MVP of AA league which is generally considered the most evenly talented league. He started off in AAA really bad but after a brutal first month basically was the best player in the league. I think he'll prolly be a really solid player and maybe see a few all star games but he also has a injury question mark and thats not really a good thing being a catcher and not having even played a MLB game.

91Kadri91*

Despite not living up to expectations, Wieters is still one of the best catchers in the league, and much, much better than what the Jays are throwing out there everyday.

Scion

May 25, 2012
The two are not mutually exclusive. Good franchises can go all in for a 2-3 year window while not detrimentally harming their long term chances. I have faith in our General Manager and our Development system which says that when this 2-3 year window closes, we will have the assets in place to ensure long term success. Some people just can't grasp the concept that you can go all in without harming your long term prospects.

If this trade goes through as rumoured the Jays will have severely harmed their farm system, this is indisputable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad