Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 4.0 - Steve Pearce signs for 2/$12.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
what? Barney replacement? Are we talking about Steve Pearce?

Barney is still here, arbitration eligible. Pearce could be the bakcup 2B in the sense that he shifts to 2nd if Travis gets hurt and can play some games there to give Travis a rest, but he should be mostly playing elsewhere and not be sitting on the bench like Barney would be.

Didnt barney play a lot this year? Maybe im selling pearce short, i just meant pearce will likely fill holes everywhere on the diamond, ala barney

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Didnt barney play a lot this year? Maybe im selling pearce short, i just meant pearce will likely fill holes everywhere on the diamond, ala barney

Barney played more than he should have because of Travis being hurt both to start and to finish the year but he's no more than a backup 2nd baseman with the ability to play some 3rd.

Pearce's offensively ability is good enough he should be playing everyday. The concern is can he stay healthy to do so, he hasn't played more than 102 games in his career(but was mostly incorrectly platooned early in his career), but he's a much better player than Barney.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
Berney played more than he should have because of Travis being hurt both to start and to finish the year but he's no more than a backup 2nd baseman with the ability to play some 3rd.

Pearce's offensively ability is good enough he should be playing everyday. The concern is can he stay healthy to do so, he hasn't played more than 102 games in his career(but was mostly incorrectly platooned early in his career), but he's a much better player than Barney.

I completely agree, especially with the last point.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Bringing back Bautista would be perfectly fine.

Steamer actually likes him a lot more for 2017 (WRC+ 128, 2.9 WAR) than they do Edwin (WRC+ 125, 2.3 WAR)
I honestly feel like JB will be better and have better value than EE going forwards.

I'm surprised how childish the O's have been to him; it's one thing to say that off-the-record but when its the GM himself saying it...

Apparently the market for EE is falling through FAST

I really didn't think it'd fall THIS far. I hope we can get in on this...

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The Blue Jays also spoke with catcher Chris Iannetta’s representatives today, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports (Twitter link). The Mariners declined their $4.25MM club option on the veteran catcher following a season that saw Iannetta hit .210/.303/.329 over 338 PA, eventually ceding regular duty to Mike Zunino in Seattle. The Jays are in need of a backup catcher for Russell Martin after parting ways with Josh Thole and Dioner Navarro testing the open market.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/...rays-erasmo-bautista-iannetta-cashman-os.html

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Travis is probably one of our biggest MLB trade pieces. Was just wondering how well Pearce plays the 2b. I love Travis

Travis is one of our biggest hey you're really good and you're gonna help us win pieces.

Pearce can play 1st and OF both are which are needs, not sure why you'd want to even consider trading Travis because he could also play 2nd, he already fits into 2 areas of need.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
So I said "barring a miracle" we wouldn't get EE back... but with his market gone, this is a real possibility. Miracles do happen! Jays need to swoop in here. I never thought we would get the chance to get both EE & Bautista back at reasonable prices, but thanks to all the madness out there with Desmond et al, there is!

Now if your lineup looks like this:

EE - DH
Bautista - RF (ugh, he has to go somewhere)
Morales - 1B
Pearce - LF
Tulo - SS
Donaldon - 3B
Martin - C
Travis - 2B
Pillar - CF

Even without Fowler, I ain't complaining. That's a spicy meatball of a lineup, even with injury prone Pearce. I can live with this because it would allow us to compete against the BoSox & O's. Here's hoping the market continues to fall apart and the Jays magically get lucky!

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Also, I completely agree with everyone in here: EE needs to fire his agent today. It's clear the guy misread the market and his client. EE wants to stay but he's out millions due to the hard ball approach that obviously isn't EE.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Also, I completely agree with everyone in here: EE needs to fire his agent today. It's clear the guy misread the market and his client. EE wants to stay but he's out millions due to the hard ball approach that obviously isn't EE.

Or all these supposed reports are garbage and pure speculation. You cant really blame anyone for trying to maximize his value, thats why they chose to test free agency. In the end, he will get something similar to the 4yr/$80mil.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
So I said "barring a miracle" we wouldn't get EE back... but with his market gone, this is a real possibility. Miracles do happen! Jays need to swoop in here. I never thought we would get the chance to get both EE & Bautista back at reasonable prices, but thanks to all the madness out there with Desmond et al, there is!

Now if your lineup looks like this:

EE - DH
Bautista - RF (ugh, he has to go somewhere)
Morales - 1B
Pearce - LF
Tulo - SS
Donaldon - 3B
Martin - C
Travis - 2B
Pillar - CF

Even without Fowler, I ain't complaining. That's a spicy meatball of a lineup, even with injury prone Pearce. I can live with this because it would allow us to compete against the BoSox & O's. Here's hoping the market continues to fall apart and the Jays magically get lucky!

I think based on the signings we have made already, getting both back will be impossible unless Atkins and Shapiro can go back to ownership and state that things didn't go as they thought. That there isn't a market for EE and Bautista, and that will a few extra bucks we can keep team intact from last season along with the left handed enforcements at a cheaper cost then previously thought.

Highly unlikely though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad