Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 4.0 - Steve Pearce signs for 2/$12.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Did Dave Stewart join the Rockies front office? Only explanation I can think of for this signing.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I mean the Rockies line of thinking might be that the pitching market is awful this year so the only way to improve it is through trade. They sign a bat to offset the future loss in offence and trade one of their OFers for a starter. If that is the logic, then it makes sense.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
I mean the Rockies line of thinking might be that the pitching market is awful this year so the only way to improve it is through trade. They sign a bat to offset the future loss in offence and trade one of their OFers for a starter. If that is the logic, then it makes sense.

But desmond isnt that good

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Getting back to the whole Orioles fans not liking JB thing - which fanbase would like him ? :)

I think that was a ridiculous thing for Baltimore to say - and even more ridiculous for that to get out. Who cares if your fans don't like a player? It's not a popularity contest, it's about winning and if Bautista can help your club win, that's the bottom line.

Little mickey mouse organization over there.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Did Dave Stewart join the Rockies front office? Only explanation I can think of for this signing.

Tony+La+Russa+2nd+Annual+Leaders+Legends+Gala+bzirvWBLB-kl.jpg

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
Stroman is significantly more valuable than both of them.

I agree! Blackmon is a career 105 wRC+ hitter, meaning he isn't much better than the league average. He posted a 130 wRC+ last year, mostly on the back of a .350 BAPIP. Then again, he raised his ISO a lot to .228 when he's been more of a 150-160ish guy so maybe he's found some power as he's aged. This could be an outlier year too so there's some risk in whoever potentially acquires him. They might be getting something similar to what happened to Corey Dickerson (C-Dick is one of the best nicknames in the game) after he left Coors. Carlos Gonzalez has been a good hitter for a while but his skills look to be declining and he has always had injury issues. Cargo has a career 118 wRC+, but the last 2 years he's posted an 114 and a 108 wRC+ last season. Not to mention that neither are good defenders. Stroman is worth far more than either player.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

What world are we living in? Trumbo is asking for 80 million to play 1st, Desmond is getting 70 million to play 1st, and EE can't even get 60?

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
There's a possibility that we get Bautista and Eddy back and that would be hilarious to me.

Random question... Can Pearce play 2b ala Zobrist? (1b/2b/OF)

Idk if im hearing things or not but i believe he played games there last year. I look at him as our barney replacement, just with less defence and more offence

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Idk if im hearing things or not but i believe he played games there last year. I look at him as our barney replacement, just with less defence and more offence

what? Barney replacement? Are we talking about Steve Pearce?

Barney is still here, arbitration eligible. Pearce could be the bakcup 2B in the sense that he shifts to 2nd if Travis gets hurt and can play some games there to give Travis a rest, but he should be mostly playing elsewhere and not be sitting on the bench like Barney would be.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

I love how Dexter Fowler bet on himself and turned into Ian Desmond, that's some voodoo witchcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->