Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 3.0 - Steve Pearce signs for 2/$12.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If that does happen EE won't be well received on his return to Toronto.

I don't see why. I mean we made an offer and then took it off the table. It's not like we made an offer and while it was on the table he took a lesser offer.

We made an offer with a deadline, he(his agent) thought he could get more but other teams weren't opening up the pocketbook yet due to the CBA stuff. Ours came off and then he realized what he expected to get wasn't there. He can't go back and take our offer at that point. If he could I think he would in a heartbeat.

He played the game and he lost. Unfortunate for him but it wasn't because he didn't want to come back so I don't know why anyone would hate him over it.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Why on earth would Edwin take less to sign elsewhere? If he circles back to the Jays based on their initial offer, I'm sure it would still be on the table.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
How would Blue Jays management feel the heat if signs for LESS elsewhere?

Ya makes no sense. They did their part.

Cant wait to go to Rogers Centre watching the Jays play what ever team EE goes to and the following will happen....

1. Parrots hanging from broom sticks
2. Signs all over the place of him being a trader
3. Boos ringing from 50 000 everytime he steps up to the plate

Will be fantastic

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
And mark my words, this is exactly whats going to happen.

He's a trader. And he will probably go on to sign in the AL EAST with one of our division rivals to rub salt on it.

You're taking this way too personally.

Why on earth would Edwin take less to sign elsewhere? If he circles back to the Jays based on their initial offer, I'm sure it would still be on the table.

Perhaps. Creates a logjam at 1st and forces Pearce to essentially be used as a full-time outfielder. I guess it's still possible though.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

If I were the Jays I would give Fowler what he wants and let Edwin walk. When he circles back say thanks but no thanks.

Sorry no time for your games.

Go find a one year deal.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

No it wouldn't, why would it be? Jays had a choice to make Edwin and stuff, or Morales, and other, better stuff. They appeared to make their choice in Edwin for 4/80 but the issue is they needed to know if he would take that by a certain time as to not miss out on plan B.

Edwin wouldn't accept by then, Jays had to make the tough call of going with the other stuff, there's probably not room for Edwin back now. At least not for Edwin and the outfield additions they need.

there's a reason there was an offer and then there wasn't. If Edwin's market sinks dramatically I could see him coming back for something like 3/55 or 4/70 maybe, but I'd be shocked if the Jays would still agree to 4/80, they already acted on their plan B, they can't go back and undo that now that Edwin might have made up his mind

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Cant wait to go to Rogers Centre watching the Jays play what ever team EE goes to and the following will happen....

Will be fantastic

You should do that. And then you can be booed and called out by other Jays fans.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Anyone looking forward to Eddie vs BlueJays wacking them out at Rogers in the reg season and playoffs...This will be the dagger....Imagine that.....Eddie homers eliminate Jays for playoffs...Any Jays worst nightmare....You get the feeling this is gonna come back to haunt ...

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario

Will be fantastic
Traitor*

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
I would think the Blue Jays management will be feeling the heat.

If Eddie ends up getting less than the two guys who are not as good as him get combined,this is goona be a bad scene in TO.

This was misplayed on so many levels......

The only ones that misplayed anything were EE and his agent.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
What's so funny about 16milAAV for 3 years? Hill is a good curveball pitcher who's had a great season. Dodgers were desperate to keep him because of how terrible the FA crop is for starting pitchers this year. Maybe 3 years bites them in the ass with how old Hill is, but I don't think there's any reason to think that just yet (his numbers have been steady in the past few years including last season).

He will be 37 years old when the season begins and is coming off a career year and he still only managed to pitch 110.1 innings. Last time he managed to hit even 40 innings in a season was all the way in 2009 when he managed to hit a whopping 57.2. He can never stay healthy and I certainly wouldn't expect him to from age 37-39.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
The only ones that misplayed anything were EE and his agent.

Again, why didn't the Jays pay Eddie before season started,like he wanted?

Before he had a career year...

Knowing full well Eddie wanted a deal before the season started and the Jays balked, i can't overlook that....I can't blame Eddie .

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If I were the Jays I would give Fowler what he wants and let Edwin walk. When he circles back say thanks but no thanks.

Sorry no time for your games.

Go find a one year deal.

I think that's a bit harsh. The Jays didn't come to terms with him in spring training either. Nothing wrong with him exploring the market as a UFA.

If he's ready to accept a 4 year/$80 million deal in T.O., I'd welcome him back with open arms. He's still a legend here, and he is the best power hitter that was available on the market by a long shot.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Again, why didn't the Jays pay Eddie before season started,like he wanted?

Before he had a career year...

He didn't have a career year.

He entered free agency looking for something like $125 million. He's no struggling to get $80 million. Why are you assuming his asking price was significantly lower prior to the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad