Speculation: Off-Season 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Even though our season ended, Glad to see Forsberg and Arvy doing well and helping their team win the gold medal.
ekholm was very noticeable as well. happy for them. it isn't the cup but i root for the preds in all aspects of life.

fiala is going to be having nightmares of that missed chance late in OT.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
josi wins "player of the game" for swiss and forsberg wins "player of the game" for sweden. must be worlds version of the 3 stars.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
what a fun, fun game that was.

that chance by Fiala is gonna haunt him for a while.

and that sequence of penalties by Josi had me so nervous.

also gonna leave this here:

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Fiala did not want any hugs or words at all from his fellow Preds. I was pulling for Switzerland as they were the underdog. However, I'd also normally pull for Sweden as well so I wasn't really upset.

It would be so much better if they let the teams try to win instead of going to a shootout after one OT.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Fiala did not want any hugs or words at all from his fellow Preds. I was pulling for Switzerland as they were the underdog. However, I'd also normally pull for Sweden as well so I wasn't really upset.

It would be so much better if they let the teams try to win instead of going to a shootout after one OT.

Yeah well maybe losing will get Fiala mad/competitive juices going for next season. We need that second line scoring on a consistent basis. Hoping he will get tired of losing and start scoring like crazy. Same w/ Josi.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I’m not sure you just flip a ‘desire’ switch to start scoring. No idea if people actually believe that was the problem with the second line. I hope not...

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I’m not sure you just flip a ‘desire’ switch to start scoring. No idea if people actually believe that was the problem with the second line. I hope not...

No it comes down to talent/skill set but I think that is something you can still work on and improve on. It's obvious Forsberg and Arvy are better skill wise/talent wise than Fiala but I still think Fiala has room to grow and get better. If not then we need to start looking for an upgrade if that is the case cause we didn't get Fiala for his grinder skills but to help us score goals. He is still young and has room to grow but if he doesn't improve each year then that will be of concern going forward as we need another good/consistent scoring line than just our top line to get us far in the playoffs.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
what a fun, fun game that was.

that chance by Fiala is gonna haunt him for a while.

and that sequence of penalties by Josi had me so nervous.

also gonna leave this here:

Dont blame Fiala for not returning the hug and looking a little salty. Takes more than a minute for the sting to wear off, especially if you feel like you blew the win for your team.

Hope it motivates him. Is next year a contract year for Fiala?

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Dont blame Fiala for not returning the hug and looking a little salty. Takes more than a minute for the sting to wear off, especially if you feel like you blew the win for your team.

Hope it motivates him. Is next year a contract year for Fiala?

Agreed.

And yes he's an RFA after next season.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Kevin Fiala looks like Forsberg at the same point in their careers. Forsberg would try to stick handle through 3 guys (still does, just less often) and was a turnover machine. Young Fiala figures out that he can pass and move without the puck he will be just fine.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I also think Fiala can get bigger/bulk up more. His small stature makes it easy for him to get manhandled. Same thing happened to Forsberg when he first came into the league. Forsberg put on some weight and bulked up more and now he doesn't get as manhandled like he did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flgatorguy87

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
If no one else, is like to see us go after JVR. He’s a stout player who can score some gritty goals down low. We need more netfront, and that’s his specialty. Plus he’s a decent skill guy. For the right price, I’d be okay with him coming here.
Can’t remember if he’s a LW or RW. Preferred if he’s RW to play on the second line with Fiala and Turris.
Idk, just thinking aloud. I would like to see a forward addition as well as 3rd pairing D. Tavares is a pipe dream.... I hope it happens just as much as the next guy but I can’t see Poile going and getting him. Would probably mess up the top line chemistry, unless you replace him with Turris.
I just don’t see Poile doing that to Bonino or Turris though.. giving them long-term deals just to trade them not even a whole year later? Just doesn’t sound like his style.
But good god imagine Tavares on the Preds..

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't think the Tavares thing is happening, in my mind he's staying in New York as there aren't a whole lot of better options for him out there. If he came available I don't think Poile would give one bit about Turris/Bonino as he would be getting a top-5 forward in the world.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
The only way someone like Tavares comes to Nashville is if he wants to sign a medium deal for 1-2 years to try to win a Cup. It's a pipe dream, but darn fun to think about.

Yup, it's a complete and total pipedream, but like you said it's fun to think about, especially cause it makes so much sense.

- He likes smaller markets
- He is friends with Subban and has played with Josi (SC Bern in 2012-13) and Ellis before (08-09 Team Canada U20)
- He wants to win really bad
- Nashville has lower taxes than most of the league
- He would have good wings to play with
- Nashville is a stable franchise with a great arena
- We have cap space to sign him to a fair deal IF he wants to take a small discount
- Tavares and his girlfriend are both supposedly big country music fans

I don't think this'll happen though, since Ellis seems to be Poile's priority #1, and he sort of promised the guys to not make any big changes, and getting Tavares would be just that.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
In an earlier post I said JVR would be a good fit here but if we could find the pieces to get Wayne Simmonds it would fit perfectly. He would add depth to the weakest position in our organization RW. Plays in front of Net and has some grit to him.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
In an earlier post I said JVR would be a good fit here but if we could find the pieces to get Wayne Simmonds it would fit perfectly. He would add depth to the weakest position in our organization RW. Plays in front of Net and has some grit to him.
Definitely agree. Simmons would be another slam dunk addition.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Do I think Tavares winds up in Nashville? No

But I will say this- with Poile you just never know. While I don’t think it would happen I also would not be shocked at all if it did. Would it be any more shocking than us trading for Subban?

I know there are some extenuating circumstances involved- (Ellis contract, the whole “no big changes” mantra, etc).

But really, if it is true that Nashville is one of JT’s preferred destinations, it would not surprise me one bit if he is wearing Gold come October. I guarantee you Poile could make it work. I mean, how often do you have a chance to sign a guy like John Tavares? To me, that trumps all of other factors that many say make it impossible.

Can you just imagine us with Tavares/Johansen as a 1/2 punch at center for the next 5+ years??

I’ve been thinking about this question- if you are the GM and you can make Tavares work and he agrees to sign here, but it means that we have to lose Ellis.

You are the GM- do you do it????????

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Do I think Tavares winds up in Nashville? No

But I will say this- with Poile you just never know. While I don’t think it would happen I also would not be shocked at all if it did. Would it be any more shocking than us trading for Subban?

I know there are some extenuating circumstances involved- (Ellis contract, the whole “no big changes” mantra, etc).

But really, if it is true that Nashville is one of JT’s preferred destinations, it would not surprise me one bit if he is wearing Gold come October. I guarantee you Poile could make it work. I mean, how often do you have a chance to sign a guy like John Tavares? To me, that trumps all of other factors that many say make it impossible.

Can you just imagine us with Tavares/Johansen as a 1/2 punch at center for the next 5+ years??

I’ve been thinking about this question- if you are the GM and you can make Tavares work and he agrees to sign here, but it means that we have to lose Ellis.

You are the GM- do you do it????????

I say good bye and good luck to Ellis.

NashvilleTypical

Feb 22, 2017
our over hyped and over rated top 4 was pretty abysmal even strength in the playoffs so it's not even a question to me.

these playoffs have changed my perspective on what is needed to win a cup. many ways to do it. it may be an anomaly but look at vegas' defensive unit.

I'm not so sure it's an anomaly. Look at Pittsburgh's defensive core from last season that won the Cup. Not necessarily anything to write home about with them either...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->