OT: Of Finns and Saunas: a compendium.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
:laugh: I'm surprised it took him that long. As a part-Finn, I found a house that I liked, and only learned after the initial walk through that it had a sauna in it. Instinct, man. :D

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Patty Laine found Winnipeg`s equivalent to Kaupinojan sauna?

Looks like... not, if one goes by their site.

https://www.thermea.ca/en/aufguss/

A dedicated dude comes about every two hours to throw some steam as a mellow German ritual thingy.

There is no poorly-hidden attempt of devastation of the spirits of your fellow sauna-goers by slightly excessive löyly or anything. Horrible.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013

A dedicated dude comes about every two hours to throw some steam as a mellow German ritual thingy.

There is no poorly-hidden attempt of devastation of the spirits of your fellow sauna-goers by slightly excessive löyly or anything. Horrible.

God damn :( If there was a possibility that Laine would not want to extend his contract this would be the biggest reason for it. Build sauna for Pate!

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
God damn :( If there was a possibility that Laine would not want to extend his contract this would be the biggest reason for it. Build sauna for Pate!

MTS Center apparently have a bigger one than Tappara. I would guess Laine gets to throw water there just as much as he wants to.

Andon

Oct 23, 2016

"It all started with two members of our team who wished to improve their level of knowledge in saunas ritual. They decided to travel to Germany to follow a five week long training to be a "Sauna Meister". This intensive training has taught them the basics of maintaining and operating a sauna, but more importantly, the techniques to perform the Aufguss rituals."

:laugh: :help:

"• The Aufguss ritual is announced by a gong."

article-1316839-07D22205000005DC-268_468x398.jpg

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Having been to Thermea several times, the aufguss is by far the most popular thing they have going. The "performer" hits a gong about ten minutes before it starts and everyone scurries for a spot inside the sauna. My "performers" have always been female BTW.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
:laugh: I'm surprised it took him that long. As a part-Finn, I found a house that I liked, and only learned after the initial walk through that it had a sauna in it. Instinct, man. :D

I beieve he visited them first during his "concussion protocol" time off.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Having been to Thermea several times, the aufguss is by far the most popular thing they have going. The "performer" hits a gong about ten minutes before it starts and everyone scurries for a spot inside the sauna. My "performers" have always been female BTW.

Well, that explains it. :laugh:

But seriously, who travels to Germany for a sauna course? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
At least I know, why I haven't been to a public sauna in Germany ever.
Once we bought a house with a sauna in the cellar. It had an hourglass and rules how to use the sauna.
Temperature, time, amount of water, length of the pauses, how much to drink.
One round was 15 minutes...not that we ever used it that way.
I prefer 85 degrees and took 2 rounds and was done within half an hour.
Some crazy people, like my mom, wanted it to be 95 degrees and it took her an hour, before she had enough.
At my confirmation camp we had a pastor who heated the sauna to 120-140 degrees. Really.
Our only goal was to sit in longer than those sissy germans...and we made it.

I guess experiences like these led to the sauna rules.
Rather have stupid, strict rules than a crazy Finn in control of the water.:D

Give Pate the water and watch the "sauna meisters" flee with tears in their eyes and quit their jobs.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hm, I live in a small 40 square meter apartment but it still has its own sauna... Having to go to a public one would be such a pain.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

I find their use of swimsuits and knowledge of Sauna disturbing.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Hm, I live in a small 40 square meter apartment but it still has its own sauna... Having to go to a public one would be such a pain.

My first apartment didn't have a sauna in it. We had to use the communal Sauna downstairs. Lived there for a year... Never again.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I find their use of swimsuits and knowledge of Sauna disturbing.

Do people really use swimsuits? I mean, at my local gym there's a sauna and there's literally 2-3 guys naked in the dressing room or the showers/sauna section all the time, at least during the usual hours. What would you even feel like bringing a swimsuit to a gym? People are so strange.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Do people really use swimsuits? I mean, at my local gym there's a sauna and there's literally 2-3 guys naked in the dressing room or the showers/sauna section all the time, at least during the usual hours. What would you even feel like bringing a swimsuit to a gym? People are so strange.

Thermea is much more than a "sauna" It's a full on spa with massage and beauty treatments. There are three large hot tubs 2 steam rooms several relaxation spaces and a very good restaurant. It's also 100% coed. Without swimsuits it would be basically a naked colony. They would lose 95% of their customers. It's quite successful and been packed every time I've gone. I'm not sure why they would change?

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Thermea is much more than a "sauna" It's a full on spa with massage and beauty treatments. There are three large hot tubs 2 steam rooms several relaxation spaces and a very good restaurant. It's also 100% coed. Without swimsuits it would be basically a naked colony. They would lose 95% of their customers. It's quite successful and been packed every time I've gone. I'm not sure why they would change?

Because it's against everything that Sauna stands for :rant: atleast take the "Finlandia" name away if you're going in dressed.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Well that's cool and all but it doesn't sound like a sauna. If some place is cold enough that you can wear a swimsuit without wanting to kill yourself it's no sauna.

I guess we call them spas, indeed. But not saunas.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Because it's against everything that Sauna stands for :rant: atleast take the "Finlandia" name away if you're going in dressed.

So they should operate a naked restaurant? Or make people constantly get dressed and undressed?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Stats disagree with you:

Ehlers with Laine (421 minutes together)
4.13GF/60 2.85GA/60
+1.28/60

Ehlers without Laine (464 minutes without Laine)
1.94GF/60 3.23GA/60
-1.29/60

I choose to believe that it's just Ehlers slumping. I know that Laine has a primary assist in like half of Ehlers's goals but he's still a very good player in his own right.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So they should operate a naked restaurant? Or make people constantly get dressed and undressed?

They should operate a spa.

Saunas would, for instance, be in conjunction with the showering rooms. Unless people actually shower in swim suits?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
In Japan the Onsen's are segregated. Part of the facility is male only and part is female only. But that is not what Thermea is trying to do. They are offering relaxation and sauna is only one small part of that experience

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
They should operate a spa.

Saunas would, for instance, be in conjunction with the showering rooms. Unless people actually shower in swim suits?

You can get that at the YMCA. Why would people pay for something that's available all over the city?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You can get that at the YMCA. Why would people pay for something that's available all over the city?

They pay for the spa, right? I don't know why people would specifically pay for a sauna, I have one I can use for free any time I want. But I do have an issue with calling a low temp steam bath a sauna.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad