Proposal: OEL to Ottawa

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
OEL needs a change of scenery BADLY. Too many bad memories from Arizona. Have been a bottom dweller losing forever and last year losing his mother to cancer.

A new start might bring out the old OEL again.

To Ottawa

OEL

To Arizona.

Phaneuf
White
Chabot
1st

That gives Ottawa the chance to compete for the cup in Karlsson's prime and doesn't have to wait for Chabot to become dominant.

Fair value?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Ottawa doesn't need OEL. Well, they do, but not at the price he'd cost.

Ottawa's defense is fine. Better than fine, it is outstanding right now. If anything, we need a forward.

Edit: Also, the time when OEL was worth a massive package was two seasons ago. Now? They'll get something similar to what they got for Yandle.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
A number one the defenseman is the last thing Ottawa needs. Just read another proposal that had the Habs getting OEL to pair with Weber, it makes no sense for teams to put together packages to ignore the holes in their line up and address their strength.

It'll be interesting to seeing if OEL hits the trade market if Arizona ends up with Dahlin at 1st overall.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Ottawa doesn't need OEL. Well, they do, but not at the price he'd cost.

Ottawa's defense is fine. Better than fine, it is outstanding right now. If anything, we need a forward.

Edit: Also, the time when OEL was worth a massive package was two seasons ago. Now? They'll get something similar to what they got for Yandle.
I'd offer Puljujarvi +1st + for OEL. I think he'd cost a bit more then Yandle as many more teams would be in the mix

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
As a Caps fan, I’d offer Burakovsky, Grubauer, 2019 1st and a capdump to be able to fit him this year.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Way too much coming from the sens here. Chabot really is that good, his offensive instincts and ability to run a PP are elite already. He just isnt going to get the ice in Ottawa right now because EK plays most of the entire powerplay and even strength he needs to learn the defensive game before he is ready for big time minutes. Playing him 25 a game in the AHL for the first 40 or 50 games will go a long way towards his development.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I'd offer Puljujarvi +1st + for OEL. I think he'd cost a bit more then Yandle as many more teams would be in the mix

I think you're right that it will be more than Yandle, but I don't see a big gap. Arizona also retained 50% on Yandle which was ridiculous.

Yandle went for Duclair (a really solid prospect but nothing spectacular), a 2nd, and a conditional 1st (the conditions were relatively minor, just lottery protection). There were also some minor pieces but nothing big.

You offer for OEL is, in my opinion, better than what they got for Yandle.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I think you could drop one of Chabot or White from the proposal in OP and it'd be reasonable.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
This would pretty much guarantee a bottom of the league season again. Can't see Arizona trading OEL without getting a NHL player back.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
OEL would give Edmonton a top 3-defence and add in Talbot it’s excellent. With Yam in the fold Poolparty could be moved.

If Arizona wanted to tank for Dahlin I’d even add Nurse if they take Russell also for Hjarmalsson.

OEL - Larsson
Klefbom - Hjarmalsson
Sekera - Benning

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
If Ottawa wants a cup they do need a defenceman of his caliber.

What they have now are Karlsson and then a bunch of 3-6 defencemen. Who is their #2? Phaneuf? Ceci?

Not good enough.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
phaneuf has a nmc that he wouldn't waive to go anywhere. he loves ottawa. also, oel is a free agent in 2019. know who else's a free agent? karlsson. they can't risk so much just for two years of oel and karlsson.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
OEL would give Edmonton a top 3-defence and add in Talbot it’s excellent. With Yam in the fold Poolparty could be moved.

If Arizona wanted to tank for Dahlin I’d even add Nurse if they take Russell also for Hjarmalsson.

OEL - Larsson
Klefbom - Hjarmalsson
Sekera - Benning
puljujari nurse and russell does not get you oel and hjarmalsson. that doesn't even get oel. a 1st would most certainly have to be added

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
phaneuf has a nmc that he wouldn't waive to go anywhere. he loves ottawa. also, oel is a free agent in 2019. know who else's a free agent? karlsson. they can't risk so much just for two years of oel and karlsson.

Phaneuf doesn't have a full NMC. It is a NMC with a modified-NTC. Specifically, he has to name 12 teams he'd be willing to accept a trade to. Theoretically, he could be traded to ARZ if ARZ is one of the 12 teams on his list.

Your second point is a good one. I agree with that.

Regardless of contract status, I don't think it's wise for the Senators to give up White/Chabot/1st to upgrade from Phaneuf to OEL.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Phaneuf doesn't have a full NMC. It is a NMC with a modified-NTC. Specifically, he has to name 12 teams he'd be willing to accept a trade to. Theoretically, he could be traded to ARZ if ARZ is one of the 12 teams on his list.

Your second point is a good one. I agree with that.

Regardless of contract status, I don't think it's wise for the Senators to give up White/Chabot/1st to upgrade from Phaneuf to OEL.
i agree with you two. imo phaneuf wouldn't waive for anyone

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If Ottawa wants a cup they do need a defenceman of his caliber.

What they have now are Karlsson and then a bunch of 3-6 defencemen. Who is their #2? Phaneuf? Ceci?

Not good enough.

I think they came pretty close to it last season. Where did they end up again? Game 7 conference finals OT with the champs?

As far as #3-#6 defensemen. Is OEL a #1? I'm confused because Phaneuf only played about 80 less minutes than OEL last season. He played 70 more PK minutes and about 80 less PP minutes. Same goes for Ceci, about 100 less minutes than OEL but played twice as much PK and about 200 less PP minutes. He actually had almost the exact same ES time as OEL. They also played mostly DZ starts. Which of these guys is a #3 and which is the #1 again? I forget.

Also, neither of them were -25. I guess you could argue that +/- is a team stat, which is true, but then I would argue that Ceci and Phaneuf were a big part of the reason that the Sens were so good and maybe, OEL is part of the reason Arizona was so bad.

Ceci young and is getting better and better. Claesson looks good. Phaneuf is playing well and is actually cheaper than OEL. Plus, there's lots of good young talent like Chabot, Lajoie, Jaros, and Harpur going forward.

The Sens defense is excellent, Karlsson is back, and the future looks brighter than ever.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
OEL is great but suffers from the HFBoards Hipster effect: where great players on teams nobody watches get drastically overrated.

Happened with Yandle too.

As far as OP goes all I can do is laugh.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Way too much coming from the sens here. Chabot really is that good, his offensive instincts and ability to run a PP are elite already. He just isnt going to get the ice in Ottawa right now because EK plays most of the entire powerplay and even strength he needs to learn the defensive game before he is ready for big time minutes. Playing him 25 a game in the AHL for the first 40 or 50 games will go a long way towards his development.
I wouldnt go as far to say he's an elite pp quarterback just yet but he has all the tools to be.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I imagine AZ would retain 50% on OEL to maximize value and avoid having to take back a contract dump.
I'm not sure that is such a good idea. Aren't they retaining on Smith already? I mean, maximize value, sure, but contract dumps are good too. Then again, I can't see anyone else on the roster they could theoretically trade and retention would be required within the next two seasons.

Personally, I think the Flyers are a good bet. They have the assets, a few cap dumps to make it work, and a good portion of their team is ready to compete. If they're solidly in the playoffs, OEL would be a good fit. Philly will have plenty of cap space.

Edit: The Avs have been pretty reliable trading partners for Arizona in the past too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad