Confirmed with Link: OEL Signs 8 year Extension (8.25 AAV)

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Great news!

I talked to some guys this weekend at the iihf world championship in Copenhagen. The same guys that stitched together the Coyotes+Tre Kronor jerseys a couple years ago and attended KEL's game in tucson with OEL this year. They said OEL has an extremely loyal personality and probably wants to spend his career in Arizona. Don't know how much that means but it felt good hearing from people close to OEL.

They also told me how to order those stitched jerseys. Although they're printed together now and not stitched.
Great to hear, and it seems to match everything he's said in the past. I really want one of jerseys.

I can't find a website that sells the half coyotes half Sweden jerseys, you mind sharing a link? I'm mostly just curious about the price.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
One thing that sadly never caught on in Arizona was the way Swedish fans would chant his name. I saw it on one of his pre-draft highlight reels years ago and loved it. But every time I tried to start it when I was at a game, people just looked at me weird.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
One thing that sadly never caught on in Arizona was the way Swedish fans would chant his name. I saw it on one of his pre-draft highlight reels years ago and loved it. But every time I tried to start it when I was at a game, people just looked at me weird.
When he was with the Leksands Stars

Stomp-Stomp-Stomp
Oh-Lee-Var YYYYYYYECKmanlarsson!!!
Stomp-Stomp-Stomp

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Funny.

You don't look Swedish.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Great to hear, and it seems to match everything he's said in the past. I really want one of jerseys.
I can't find a website that sells the half coyotes half Sweden jerseys, you mind sharing a link? I'm mostly just curious about the price.
The guy I spoke to was the owner of this site Tinghockey.com. (a hockey shop in Tingsryd, Sweden), and he said they were the ones making them. It's only in swedish and I can't find the jersey. But I got his number and I'm planning on ordering one for myself.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think he'd get 10. But 9~ is pretty possible. Players of this caliber don't hit the market often, especially at his age. Hedman *before* he had a major break out taking him from top 20ish guy to top 5ish guy got 8 million from Tampa. On the open market with a bidding war? It would be crazy.

The last D man of OELs caliber to hit the market? I can't even think of one. Suter maybe? That was 6 years ago, he took a homedown deal, and STILL got 7.5M.

Players at this level really just don't hit the market often so it's hard to say just how crazy a FA bidding war might be.

The Tavares situation is gonna be insane, for example. OEL hitting the market would be less so, but it will give an idea of how it will go.
You may be right. OEL demonstrated his talent the last half of last year and out played most his peers, but for two years before that we were all wondering what the hell happened to him and many o n this board were willing to trade him. Mind you, the Coyotes probably thought different.:)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It wasn’t two years before. Two year before he put up 20+ goals and a career high in points. It was most of 16-17 season (broken hand, family issues) and the first part of 17-18 (the entire team was rotten). He’s had one tough season (and only by his standards) and one tough start. Apart from that, he’s been great.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It wasn’t two years before. Two year before he put up 20+ goals and a career high in points. It was most of 16-17 season (broken hand, family issues) and the first part of 17-18 (the entire team was rotten). He’s had one tough season (and only by his standards) and one tough start. Apart from that, he’s been great.
You are right, the 16-17 season and half this year. Man, this board is tough of players. Many thought he lost it and were willing to trade him and take him off the "untouchable list".

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
When he was with the Leksands Stars

Stomp-Stomp-Stomp
Stomp-Stomp-Stomp
It's never too late:

CAAAAAAAPTAAAAIIIN
Oh-Lee-Var
YYYYYYECKmanlarson

Reactions: CC96

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
You are right, the 16-17 season and half this year. Man, this board is tough of players. Many thought he lost it and were willing to trade him and take him off the "untouchable list".
and OEL will have a bad 5+ game stretch this year where some on this board will be whining that we're stuck with him for another 8.5 years.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Plus if we’re offering 8.25 per for 8 years, another team would have to offer at least 9.4 mil per for the max 7 years to come up with the same total money. I like OEL a lot, but 9.4 for him is incredibly steep.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The guy I spoke to was the owner of this site Tinghockey.com. (a hockey shop in Tingsryd, Sweden), and he said they were the ones making them. It's only in swedish and I can't find the jersey. But I got his number and I'm planning on ordering one for myself.
Thanks, I'll look on that site with the aid of Google translate or try to email someone on there if I want to get one.

More Cooley

yotes wagon
Jul 2, 2015
Sweden

Did he mention the prize in SEK? Tingsryd's not far away from my place, could be worth going there and buy one.

Flying Puck

Oct 16, 2017
I love OEL but their is no way is he worth 10 million a year. Hedman at 7.8, Suter at 7.5, Weber at 7.8 are much better that OEL. All three of these guys defend much better than Oliver. His comps will be Letang at $7.2 and Doughty at $6.7. I like Oliver when he is on the right side of the puck, but when he is not, he is not very good. He should not get north of 8 million in any scenario with the taxes in AZ. Just my opionion.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I love OEL but their is no way is he worth 10 million a year. Hedman at 7.8, Suter at 7.5, Weber at 7.8 are much better that OEL. All three of these guys defend much better than Oliver. His comps will be Letang at $7.2 and Doughty at $6.7. I like Oliver when he is on the right side of the puck, but when he is not, he is not very good. He should not get north of 8 million in any scenario with the taxes in AZ. Just my opionion.
Looks like the number will fall around $8.5M per +/- $250K.

If it gets OEL to re-sign in AZ then I'm all for it. Hands down this is a win.

Reactions: doaner

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I love OEL but their is no way is he worth 10 million a year. Hedman at 7.8, Suter at 7.5, Weber at 7.8 are much better that OEL. All three of these guys defend much better than Oliver.

Hedman, yes. Suter, yes. But Weber nowadays is definitely *not* "much better" than OEL.

Also have to remember that Suter's and Weber's caphits are lower because they signed 13/14 year deals that walked the line of cap circumvention - deals that are no longer allowed under the current CBA.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You are comparing OEL to players on better teams and comparing him to older deals or RFA deals. OEL makes 7 mill on his current non UFA deal. A 20 to 25 percent bump in pay just for being a UFA is reasonable. I think his avg per year will be 8.5-9.5 mill. Keep in mind that in the next 8 years the cap will go up too.

Reactions: doaner

Flying Puck

Oct 16, 2017
If OEL gets 8 million in AZ that is very close to the highest paid dman in the league. With the current tax break that's a 9.2/9.5 contract in most NHL cities. OEL is not worth anymore than that. He simply is not one of the top 3-5 dmen in the NHL. I

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If OEL gets 8 million in AZ that is very close to the highest paid dman in the league. With the current tax break that's a 9.2/9.5 contract in most NHL cities. OEL is not worth anymore than that. He simply is not one of the top 3-5 dmen in the NHL. I

Doughty, Karlsson, McDonagh, and Ellis will all be UFAs in 2019. Even if OEL became close to the highest paid dman in the league at 8-8.5 M/year, that's not going to last more than a season.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Gotta keep in mind with Hedman's deal: He signed that contract before he put up a 72 point season and went to another level offensively. Before that season, his career high in points was exactly the same as Ollie's, 55.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->