GDT: OCT 21 - Minnesota @ Calgary - 8:00 PM MT - CBC

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
This team is good enough to make the playoffs, but my god Gulutzan needs to figure out how to get some of these forwards to start contributing.

I know Backlund/Frolik were really good together last year, but I'd seriously consider splitting them up for a bit.

Bennett - Backlund - Versteeg
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Frolik

I would love to see that as the middle 6.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I saw a few of you guys calling that an easy goal by Monahan in the GDT. I think it's time his finishing ability stops getting overlooked. That is a very difficult goal to score with how that puck was passed to him on the other side of a defenceman, and he didn't hesitate for a second and got a good shot off. For most players, even in the NHL, they hesitate on that play, not thinking the puck will get through. Very nice play. And the game before, that goal he scored is not a common finish from the back foot, that far out.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was at the game last night, summary of my thoughts:

giphy.gif

No comments on other stuff... yet, but seriously, wtf is with this team having issues connecting more than 2 or 3 passes in a row?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Hasn't had it for years.
On that PP after they got the 5 on 3; the deadly teams would have put it to bed.
Iggy's Flames definitely would, especially at home. I remember when I wouldn't sweat Flames games at the Dome, and road games were the problem, but for some reason we seem more comfortable on the road now (at least that's what it looks like to me)

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
With Engelland gone and Glass barely playing, this team is virtually balls free. Just no push back, nothing.

Btw I hate hate hate what GG has done to Tkachuk after the Doughty incident, kid completely owns a premier player in this league, gets zero support from teammates and GG puts him in his place, completely neutering him. He hasnt been the same since.

Last but not least, what exactly is Stone doing to justify his salary? Completely underwhelming.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
With Engelland gone and Glass barely playing, this team is virtually balls free. Just no push back, nothing.

Btw I hate hate hate what GG has done to Tkachuk after the Doughty incident, kid completely owns a premier player in this league, gets zero support from teammates and GG puts him in his place, completely neutering him. He hasnt been the same since.

Last but not least, what exactly is Stone doing to justify his salary? Completely underwhelming.
What are you even talking about regarding Tkachuk? GG has spoken with glowing praise about the way Tkachuk plays. He even basically said they can live with the penalties because of how many he draws. He elbowed a player in the face and got a small suspension. What exactly were you expecting teammates to say? "We hope he keeps elbowing guys in the face!"? Weird comment speaking to an entire narrative you seem to have constructed surrounding the incident.

Anyway, Stone has provided us with a third pairing that isn't a complete circus. He also punishes people every shift if you watch him play. Honestly, he probably commits 2-3 penalties every shift by strict definition, but he sticks close enough to the borderline that he gets away with it.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017

I agree with your 1st (even though Engelland and Glass are terrible players. I prefer guys like them who actually know how to play hockey) and 3rd paragraphs (even though Stone at least provides some stability on the 3rd pair) but I'm super confused about your point on Tkachuk. He has been a beast this season.

He's continuing to draw penalties left and right and he's still always in the faces of opposing star players. He's looking fantastic out there.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
I dont see the same tenacity from Tkachuk and i think he's being coached to tone it down.

Stone was advertised as a top4 defender and he's getting torched on 3rd pair. If he needs a better partner than Bart/kulak to bring his corsiF% into double digits....

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
I dont see the same tenacity from Tkachuk and i think he's being coached to tone it down.

Stone was advertised as a top4 defender and he's getting torched on 3rd pair. If he needs a better partner than Bart/kulak to bring his corsiF% into double digits....

You must be watching a different Tkachuk. I've absolutely loved what he's brought to the table so far this season. Gulutzan praises him whenever given the chance and only called him out on one dumb needless penalty.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

By whom? He's a #6 defenseman and he's fantastic when limited to that role. And Kulak is perfectly fine in carrying him, Kulak even made Engelland look competent and Stone >>> Engelland,

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Just saw that amazing assist by Brouwer. This team really needs him to get back to form and do stuff like that more often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad