Observations XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
It's like we've really found the balance between offense and defense. We could tighten up defensively a little bit but we're scoring so much right now that it doesn't matter a whole lot.

When Lavy came here, it was all offense, offense, offense. But now we defend patiently and attack when we have the chance. We've capitalized unsustainbly well lately, but what I'm seeing now, I'm really liking. Also, special teams are so important in today's hockey when 5-on-5 scoring is at a premium and we're handling them really well now.

Mark of a good team, to win on the road 4-0 when outshot by double. I'm sorry, mark of a great team.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
We've been over Moneypuck's stats before on here, but I like seeing how they compare to the eye test, and tonight I found it quite interesting that according to their model we actually had more expected goals than the Oilers despite the relative shot quantities.

In fact, we've moved up in Moneypuck's rankings from being bad to merely mediocre.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
We defend with pressure from speed and transitioning the puck. As a positional defensive team we can get caught running around a bit. That's our weakness.

Tonight we got caught a little but it wasn't as bad as the shot counter indicated, a lot if shots from the outside. Don't get me wrong Saros made some wonderful saves. Their game plan was throw it at the net and crashed the net.

That was a good team desperate for a good home win that we just beat.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
We've been over Moneypuck's stats before on here, but I like seeing how they compare to the eye test, and tonight I found it quite interesting that according to their model we actually had more expected goals than the Oilers despite the relative shot quantities.

In fact, we've moved up in Moneypuck's rankings from being bad to merely mediocre.

Yep, we have moved all the way to #16 in the power rankings this morning- lol....

At least our playoff chances aren't 41% anymore- we are up to 89%!

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
what a truly upside down, bizarro game that was.

..first i admit we are farting rainbows and horseshoes right now. seems every call, every review, every bounce is just going our way. we play good we win. we play poorly we win.
..actually still surprised at the on ice call on aberg's goal because of the angle the ref saw he saw the blade of his stick head high. was almost as surprised on the review even though it was inconclusive.
..so a disputed call, two deflected pucks landing right on the stick of two open guys, and a 5 on 3.
..honestly they won every puck battle and beat us to the puck almost every time all night... and yet...

..saros did a tremendous job of stopping the first shot.
..not meant wrong, because he played a fine game, but a part of the reason saros faces so many shots almost every game is he rarely actually stops the play. rebounds everywhere. another reason was obvious last night too. his hesitancy to get out of the net on shoot ins after that fiasco a few games ago. many pucks ringed around behind the net that rinne would have blocked that they recovered and held in.
..saros is now 3-0-1 with about a .930 save % his last 4. he certainly has done his part to help in this 20 game streak of games.

..turris seems to be thriving...lol
..fiala-turris-smith. they simply couldn't be any hotter as a line.
..looks like right now our 2nd line is our 1st and our 2nd PP unit is our 1st. i can live with that.
..i will hand it to lavy, right now no opponent has the slighest clue what line to try to match who with.
...hartnell might well be a better fit in more limited minutes on the 4th even strength and used mainly for the PP.
..not even sure what 'secondary scoring' is with this team right now.
..we have three dmen each with 21 points in 31 games lol

..special teams are absolutely rocking. 2nd on the PP and very near passing TB, and up to 8th on the PK
..looked like we finally figured out on a 5 on 3 you have to work the puck low instead of shooting from the point. maybe we actually practiced that on these off days.
..it has helped us a ton these past 10-12 games that we have dramatically reduced the amount of penalties we are taking. that's been key.
..10-0, 8 times holding EDM at 2 or less goals, 4 shutouts. what a run against a team with a lot of offensive talent.
..EDM is like most of the Canadian teams on HF. they have a tremendous fanbase. they have many really smart hockey fans. But unfortunately their hf fanbase seems to be dominated by 16 year old kids crying about everything and interpreting everything as a NHL conspiracy against them..

I'm not going to even pretend we 'should' have won that game. But all that is important is we somehow figured out a way to win.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah you really can't ask Saros to play much better than that. I was st my parents so I want watching as closely as I normally would, but it seemed like they really weren't getting the puck up, which seems like the way to go after Saros.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I'm not going to even pretend we 'should' have won that game. But all that is important is we somehow figured out a way to win.

I think this is what really is making this look more like we are at that upper level. Not that there was alot of doubt, but elite/great teams find ways to win when they shouldn't which is what happened last night.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
I hope we remember this streak when we inevitably go south at some point.

Can't believe that I'm typing this but wonder if inserting Ellis will disrupt anything. Like having a motor working well then deciding to upgrade with some great component that causes some unforeseen integration problem elsewhere.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
I hope we remember this streak when we inevitably go south at some point.

Can't believe that I'm typing this but wonder if inserting Ellis will disrupt anything. Like having a motor working well then deciding to upgrade with some great component that causes some unforeseen integration problem elsewhere.
I will take Josi-Ellis PK-Eks any day of the week twice on Sunday. This team is hot no doubt, but don't be mistaken: Emelin and co. are fine, but Ellis is elite and will make this team even better.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
No argument, just one of those guys with 'if it's working very well then don't touch it' approach. I'm definitely an Ellis fan and hope to see him as Captain.
We inserted Johansen and Hartnell back in after some time off and it didn't seem to hurt us much. 2-0 in wins and 11-1 in goals for/against. I know, that one goal against is painful, but still... :-D

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
No argument, just one of those guys with 'if it's working very well then don't touch it' approach. I'm definitely an Ellis fan and hope to see him as Captain.

The one big positive to the situation is that there is zero need to rush him back in any way, shape or form.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
We inserted Johansen and Hartnell back in after some time off and it didn't seem to hurt us much. 2-0 in wins and 11-1 in goals for/against. I know, that one goal against is painful, but still... :-D

Some time off is one thing, not playing for over 6 months is another, but I'm 100% with drwpreds .. zero reason to rush him back. Knock on wood.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
0 SOG for bonino or johansen. not much sustained pressure from forsberg line. aberg did get his redirect goal. i wonder if they keep the same lines or do more tinkering. outshot 46-23 (2:1 margin) but high danger chances were fairly even. still would like to see more offensive zone time but from lines not named turris/fiala/smith. that line is our #1 line for me even if JOFA was back together.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
I understand the reasoning behind the lines because it causes matchup problems for the other team especially on the road. I don't see it changing till we lose.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I understand the reasoning behind the lines because it causes matchup problems for the other team especially on the road. I don't see it changing till we lose.
yeah same. we were outshot by 23 and gave up 46 and had 29 blocks. a lot of pucks thrown to the net. turris line and our defenseman accounted for 12 of our 23 SOG. that leaves 11 SOG between our other 3 lines and some of those 11 probably came from a PP or SH. too lazy to look it up right now. i love winning but we have scored some really strange goals and every bounce has went our way. i think with a little line tweaking and ellis coming back to stride, if pekka maintains his play, we are the team favorited to come out of the west again.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
yeah same. we were outshot by 23 and gave up 46 and had 29 blocks. a lot of pucks thrown to the net. turris line and our defenseman accounted for 12 of our 23 SOG. that leaves 11 SOG between our other 3 lines and some of those 11 probably came from a PP or SH. too lazy to look it up right now. i love winning but we have scored some really strange goals and every bounce has went our way. i think with a little line tweaking and ellis coming back to stride, if pekka maintains his play, we are the team favorited to come out of the west again.
Not trying to advocate either way, but.....Last night was an outlier IMO. Overall they were dominated on the 2nd of b2b's and against a good possession team that just isn't having any luck right now. Taking that into account, what you are describing here makes perfect sense.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Not trying to advocate either way, but.....Last night was an outlier IMO. Overall they were dominated on the 2nd of b2b's and against a good possession team that just isn't having any luck right now. Taking that into account, what you are describing here makes perfect sense.
very valid point. 2nd game of a back to back. if we can win Saturday against the flames, we can create more space from the cutoff at the wild card (worst case) and start making some teams fall further in the standings, as we did to the McJesus' last night.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
OK I just want to know at what point we stop talking about a "streak" and acknowledge that we are a damn fine hockey team? Arguably, with Turris, significantly better than the team that lost in the finals last year. This current "streak" is 19 frigging games... thats pretty much a fourth of the season... Id say we have enough data points to say we belong in a conversation of the top teams in the league

Reactions: predhead1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad