[NYR/VGK] Who won the Reaves for 2022 3rd trade?

Who won the trade?

• Total voters

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Remember when the hockey world lambasted the Bruins for giving up a 2017 third-rounder that would become Kirill Ustimenko in exchange for Zac Rinaldo?

If a team misses out on an NHL talent due to trading a third-rounder, then almost every other team in the league is equally culpable for not drafting that player before the 63rd pick. The Rangers still have three picks before that point in the next draft.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We don't know what that pick is or what it will be used for, so until we do NYR is the clear winner since they got a player who provides something they need.

Sorry but it doesn't work like that. The value given up was a 3rd round pick, not the result of the "magic bean"

Everytime a team draft a good player with a pick obtained in a trade, the team giving up a "late pick" got fleeced? Ex :

Dallas Stars acquireDateOttawa Senators acquire
Dallas_Stars.gif
Alex Auld
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
July 8, 2009
2010 6th round pick (#178-Mark Stone)
Ottawa_Senators.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Should the Stars GM have been fired? I mean he gave up Mark Stone for a back up goalie at the end of his career

Or let's say I sell a hockey card for 20$ and with that money I buy some kind of lotto ticket and win 5 millions $...

The guy who bought me the card got fleeced?

Reactions: Paranoid Android

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Wilson plays on the 1st line, Reaves is a 4th line goon with no hockey skills. I don't know how Rangers think Reaves can solve the issues they have with Wilson. They can put Reaves and the 4th line against Wilson and Caps 1st line, get scored on and lose the game I guess

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Oh no....What are the Rangers ever going to do with Reaves taking up 1.75 in cap space. Probably going to have to trade Fox now.

Best part is, the Ranger's have their entire roster signed for the season and we still have 9M in cap space. Good try though?
Add it to the list of bad Rangers contracts that are quickly piling up and beginning to block their future contracts;

Kreider, Trouba, Goodrow, Reaves..

Reactions: EdJovanovski

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I know its probably unpopular with the analytics crowd, but the Rangers got punked way too many times last year. Reaves solves the problem of a guy like Travis Frederic calling out the entire Rangers bench. Third round pick is a crap shoot. Reaves is a plug, but fills a need. I'd say equal value from the Rangers perspective.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Why does there need to be a winner/loser?

There won't be any

The more adequate question would be "Do you believe the price of a 2022 3rd round pick too much to acquire Ryan Reaves?"

A draft pick value for the 2022 draft won't be different in 5 years. It's not like when you trade players and they take completely different roads afterwards

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Wilson plays on the 1st line, Reaves is a 4th line goon with no hockey skills. I don't know how Rangers think Reaves can solve the issues they have with Wilson. They can put Reaves and the 4th line against Wilson and Caps 1st line, get scored on and lose the game I guess

Seems to me that matching up Reaves and Wilson has not been a problem in the past, why should it be a problem now? The only way it would be a problem is if one player or the other comes down with the "flu" before one of the handful of games the two teams play.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
There won't be any

The more adequate question would be "Do you believe the price of a 2022 3rd round pick too much to acquire Ryan Reaves?"

A draft pick value for the 2022 draft won't be different in 5 years. It's not like when you trade players and they take completely different roads afterwards

As unlikely as it is for a 3rd round pick to make it in the NHL, No, the pick was NOT too much for Reaves.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Vegas, a 3rd round pick isn't much but Reaves provides a negative value so it's essentially something for nothing(and Vegas is right up against the cap so the cap space while not much is also helpful for them)

but again a 3rd round pick isn't a lot and a 1.75m cap hit and taking up a 4th line roster spot isn't a lot of negative value so like....meh

Reactions: Ignite111

LV Knight Life

Apr 10, 2019
There doesn't have to be a winner and a loser with every trade. I'm glad to see him off the team, but if he provides something
New York believes they need, both teams got what they wanted.

Reactions: inthewings

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Sorry but it doesn't work like that. The value given up was a 3rd round pick, not the result of the "magic bean"

Everytime a team draft a good player with a pick obtained in a trade, the team giving up a "late pick" got fleeced? Ex :

Dallas Stars acquireDateOttawa Senators acquire
Dallas_Stars.gif
Alex Auld
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
July 8, 2009
2010 6th round pick (#178-Mark Stone)
Ottawa_Senators.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Should the Stars GM have been fired? I mean he gave up Mark Stone for a back up goalie at the end of his career

Or let's say I sell a hockey card for 20$ and with that money I buy some kind of lotto ticket and win 5 millions $...

The guy who bought me the card got fleeced?

I can’t speak too much on the Stars goalie situation at the time but trading for a career backup/AHL fringe guy for picks regardless is a head scratching move. And you can make the argument if that GM was making moves like that then said GM would cut corners elsewhere with picks or prospects in terms of risk tolerance.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I can’t speak too much on the Stars goalie situation at the time but trading for a career backup/AHL fringe guy for picks regardless is a head scratching move. And you can make the argument if that GM was making moves like that then said GM would cut corners elsewhere with picks or prospects in terms of risk tolerance.

I'm sorry but what are you talking about? They gave up a 6th round pick for a back-up goalie, they obviously needed a guy

There's nothing head scratching here

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
This poll really needs an everyone wins option. All fans will get to watch Reaves attempt to play hockey and chasing Wilson around for a couple years
We all win!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We did because we also traded Howden for a 4th with the same team.

Reaves is a one-for-one massive upgrade over Howden.

I mean, I don't wanna speak for Vegas but it feels like a win internally.

Everyone talks about toughness and wiLsoN PROBleM and just ignores that the Rangers just made their 4th line better, period.

3rd and 4th round picks are almost identical in terms of the likelihood of landing a good player.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Probably Rangers will get more NHL games and even points from Reaves than the 3rd round pick will ever produce. But Vegas didn't really need Reaves. I think the trade worked for both teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad