Value of: NYR - SJS cap space deal

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rangers have some space, no excess available to squander, but some can be used if the numbers and return are right. NY looking for picks/upgrade.

SJS wants to re-sign E Kane for optimum length and $. Taking into account his last deal, what he commands on the market, term both sides can sign off on, I come up with ballpark $6m per for 4 years with no or minimum NTCs.

Sharks have to be careful here, had to let Marleau go, and Hertl and co will command mo $.
If a mutual backscratch was effective, surely it would be considered.

Is this that win win?
Sharks have no 2nds this year or next. Also no 3rd this year. NY has surplus there.
so
pre arranged wink wink sign and trade
Rangers ink EKane to 4 yrs 6m per then send him to SJS at 2m per retained
NY also sends SJ the NJD 2018 2nd and Bruins 2018 3rd

in exchange for these 2 picks and 4 yrs cap space

Rangers get 2018 SJS 1st
and
EITHER 2019 OR 2020 SJS 1st, Sharks to decide.

I don't think NY or anyone else should be taking on contracts like Ryan, Lucic or Seabrook, esp at full pop, without major bribe for the ongoing pain and cap hit.

This is I think something much more measured.

Thoughts? Esp as to value, both sides?

Reactions: DarthProbert

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Rangers have some space, no excess available to squander, but some can be used if the numbers and return are right. NY looking for picks/upgrade.

SJS wants to re-sign E Kane for optimum length and $. Taking into account his last deal, what he commands on the market, term both sides can sign off on, I come up with ballpark $6m per for 4 years with no or minimum NTCs.

Sharks have to be careful here, had to let Marleau go, and Hertl and co will command mo $.
If a mutual backscratch was effective, surely it would be considered.

Is this that win win?
Sharks have no 2nds this year or next. Also no 3rd this year. NY has surplus there.
so
pre arranged wink wink sign and trade
Rangers ink EKane to 4 yrs 6m per then send him to SJS at 2m per retained
NY also sends SJ the NJD 2018 2nd and Bruins 2018 3rd

in exchange for these 2 picks and 4 yrs cap space

Rangers get 2018 SJS 1st
and
EITHER 2019 OR 2020 SJS 1st, Sharks to decide.

I don't think NY or anyone else should be taking on contracts like Ryan, Lucic or Seabrook, esp at full pop, without major bribe for the ongoing pain and cap hit.

This is I think something much more measured.

Thoughts? Esp as to value, both sides?

Our Rangers should not go near Kane , NYC and Kane spell trouble

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I always wonder how the league would treat signing a guy then trading him away 5 minutes later with a certain percentage of his salary retained. I think they might view that as circumventing the cap

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
San Jose is one of the oldest teams in the league so naturally it makes sense to help with the rangers rebuild by tossing them two out of their three next 1st round picks just to re-sign their own player.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
So how does this work?

Step 1) Kane's gets traded to NY Rangers for 2018 2nd, and 2018 Boston's 3rd round pick prior to the 2018 draft.
Step 2) Rangers sign Kane to an extension and then immediately trade him for 2018 SJ 1st & 20** SJ 1st round pick, with 2 million retained?

...because that wouldn't be looked into by the NHL

Or do the Rangers sign Kane on July 1st and go back in time to then trade the 2018 draft picks?

Either way, that doesn't seem like the most cost efficient way to utilize assets, just to save a whopping 2 million a year.

Reactions: Nickmo82

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So how does this work?

1*sVy3WludhUd9Jbnu7T5KVQ.png

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I always wonder how the league would treat signing a guy then trading him away 5 minutes later with a certain percentage of his salary retained. I think they might view that as circumventing the cap

They allowed the Brassard trade to Pittsburgh via Vegas. Vegas retains 40% of Brassard's contract. This would essentially be the same thing.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
They allowed the Brassard trade to Pittsburgh via Vegas. Vegas retains 40% of Brassard's contract. This would essentially be the same thing.

I guess although signing a UFA then trading him 5 minutes later is a bit different then trading for a guy currently under contract

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Sharks didn't 'have' to let Marleau go. They offered him 2 yr 10 mil and told him that was their final offer. He called back telling them Toronto offered 3 for 18 (give or take) and Wilson told him good luck in Toronto.

Sharks are fine wrt the cap. They just didn't overspend for Marleau like Toronto did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad