NYR Prospect Pipeline

studley49

Oct 8, 2003
Flinton/Toronto, ON
Visit site
Hey everyone,

For a while now I've been looking at the Rangers' prospects, thinking "man, some of these guys could really blow up." Can someone give me an idea as to where some of these players fit in to the NYR picture, and a bit of a description as their max & min potential?

For example:
Ryan Callahan
Marc-Andre Cliche
Jakub Petruzalek
Brandon Dubinsky
etc...

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
Hey everyone,

For a while now I've been looking at the Rangers' prospects, thinking "man, some of these guys could really blow up." Can someone give me an idea as to where some of these players fit in to the NYR picture, and a bit of a description as their max & min potential?

For example:
Ryan Callahan
Marc-Andre Cliche
Jakub Petruzalek
Brandon Dubinsky
etc...

you'd do much better posting this question here ...

http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=24

Ranger Management absolutely LOVES Dubinsky as well as many others. Dubi could start out this year on the 4th line or better. If not, definetly one of the first to be called up this year. Second line or BETTER potential once he's in his prime. He's a leader, good skater, agitator, great size and can score. Future Ranger captain IMO.

Visit NYR land for more info ...

Alot of the good Ranger prospects are now in Hartford and this is a pivitol year. The cream will rise to the top this year.

espo*

what's the deal with dubinsky? Tons of guys seem to laud his praises yet i have'nt seen or heard too much of the guy.The way fans quack about the guy makes me think he he's going to be a mix of ray)Whitney/Gionta.........................but not as good.

Nigel Dawes should get a look real soon,that guys a good hockey player.All he needs is to believe in himself and he'll be a player.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Dubinsky has all the potential to be an amazing 2nd line center in the league.

He's added a ton of height and weight, now being reported as around 6'1 215-225. And it's a LEGITMATE 6'1 and not just some fluff number.

He's beefed up, gotten stronger, etc. It's great to see.

He and Dawes are two of the Rangers top prospects.

Callahan looks to be a solid 3rd liner if not more. He has a ton of tenacity and plays balls out every night.

Petruzalek might never make it, but if he does it'd be as a top 2 liner. He doesn't know what the defensive zone is, but he has great offensive instincts.

Cliche reminds people a bit of Patrice Bergeron in his style and two way game. I loved the pick and I am glad we took him over Latendresse.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
what's the deal with dubinsky? Tons of guys seem to laud his praises yet i have'nt seen or heard too much of the guy.The way fans quack about the guy makes me think he he's going to be a mix of ray)Whitney/Gionta.........................but not as good.

Nigel Dawes should get a look real soon,that guys a good hockey player.All he needs is to believe in himself and he'll be a player.

You haven't heard much about him because before last year he was one of those, 2nd line potential guys but you really had to wait and see him play a couple more years to gauge him. But he got bigger, had a terrific junior year, and did terrific in the playoffs of the AHL. He's one of our better prospects.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
Dubinsky has all the potential to be an amazing 2nd line center in the league.

He's added a ton of height and weight, now being reported as around 6'1 215-225. And it's a LEGITMATE 6'1 and not just some fluff number.

have we gotten a confirmation on that? Considering the Rangers history with this, I'm pretty skeptical about both his height and weight. Eveen if 6'1" is legit, I have a hard time accepting 225lbs.

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
It is so refreshing to see guys like, Dubinsky, Dawes, Helminen, Korpikoski, Immonen, Jessiman, Staal and others fighting and doing anything in their power for roster spots this upcoming season. For years the Rangers pipeline was barren, and now we seem to have a ton of legitamite prospects.:handclap:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I must be the only one who likes Baranka :(

No you're not. I like Ivan a lot. A good shot to be a top 4 stay mostly at home but can skate and move the puck defenseman and whether he hits that projection or not he's a pretty solid bet to be a regular NHL player for at least several years.

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site

ask any Portland Winterhawk fan ...check out Portland's record when Dubinsky was out of the lineup last year..their record when he returned...check out what Dubinsky did with Hartford in the AHL PLAYOFFS.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I remember the Hawks went on one of the worst streches in their franchise went dubinsky went out with an injury, He was out for 20 games and believe their record in that time was 1-17-1 (maybe 2 wins, not 100% sure). The 5 games after he came back they went 4-1 (again might not be 100% correct but close..hard to remember from half a year ago).

Dubinksy pretty much ran that offense, but supringly a few Hawk fans don't like him because they held a grudge on him when he was 16-17 and had a cocky attitude problem or something and took a lot of Misconduct penalties for running his mouth to the ref.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Studley- Good observation!

In the summer of 05´ we had the following players in the system;

guys who made it last season;
Lundqvist, Labarbarera, Prucha, Tyutin, Garth Murray, Hollweg, Kondratiev, Balej(borderline) and Domminic Moore.

prospects who looks really good (95% chance to make it, would bet anything that 6 of these 8 names will make it);
Staal, Montoya, Immonen, G. Moore, Sauer, Dawes, Dubinsky and Korpikoski.

prospects who are just below thoose listed above (Would bet that atleast 4 of these guys will make it);
Ryan Callahan, Marc-Andre Cliche, Jakub Petruzalek, Thomas Pöck, Helminen, Bruce Lampman, Dave Liffiton, Jan Marek, Hugh Jessiman, Ivan Baranka, Daniel Byers, Rick Kozak, Bruce Graham and Jake Taylor.

Then there are a few players still in juniors who defenitly have potential to go somewhere but haven't yet had a real breakthrough, like David Olver, Ryan Russel, Billy Ryan and Brodie Dupont.

My point is that I am about 100% sure that when we look back at the NYR's depth that summer in 10 years we will find that atleast 20 players made it to the NHL, I am sure I left allot of names out. From a depth point of view I don't think thats ever been matched. We didn't have any Ovechkins or Crosby's, but Lundqvist is on his way to become a franchise goalie, Marc Staal is looking really solid. Two top level prospects right there. Prucha is a sure fire top 2 line forward down the line and the best is yet to come from Dawes and Dubinsky but they are looking like top two line forwards right now, Dawes could end up on a line with Nylander and Jagr as soon as this season.

Its funny, I made a thread on the prospect board back then about the depth NYR had, the responses I got are quit funny to look at today... ;)

Last edited:

JorgeRocks!

May 31, 2006
Studley- Good observation!

In the summer of 05´ we had the following players in the system;

guys who made it last season;
Lundqvist, Labarbarera, Prucha, Tyutin, Garth Murray, Hollweg, Kondratiev, Balej(borderline) and Domminic Moore.

prospects who looks really good (95% chance to make it, would bet anything that 6 of these 8 names will make it);
Staal, Montoya, Immonen, G. Moore, Sauer, Dawes, Dubinsky and Korpikoski.

prospects who are just below thoose listed above (Would bet that atleast 4 of these guys will make it);
Ryan Callahan, Marc-Andre Cliche, Jakub Petruzalek, Thomas Pöck, Helminen, Bruce Lampman, Dave Liffiton, Jan Marek, Hugh Jessiman, Ivan Baranka, Daniel Byers, Rick Kozak, Bruce Graham and Jake Taylor.

Then there are a few players still in juniors who defenitly have potential to go somewhere but haven't yet had a real breakthrough, like David Olver, Ryan Russel, Billy Ryan and Brodie Dupont.

My point is that I am about 100% sure that when we look back at the NYR's depth that summer in 10 years we will find that atleast 20 players made it to the NHL, I am sure I left allot of names out. From a depth point of view I don't think thats ever been matched. We didn't have any Ovechkins or Crosby's, but Lundqvist is on his way to become a franchise goalie, Marc Staal is looking really solid. Two top level prospects right there. Prucha is a sure fire top 2 line forward down the line and the best is yet to come from Dawes and Dubinsky but they are looking like top two line forwards right now, Dawes could end up on a line with Nylander and Jagr as soon as this season.

Its funny, I made a thread on the prospect board back then about the depth NYR had, the responses I got are quit funny to look at today... ;)

Kozazk. Come on. This guy started his draft year playing Junior A.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Kozazk. Come on. This guy started his draft year playing Junior A.

I listed almost 40 names and said 20 of them would make it! ;)

I defenitly think Kozak, Petruzalek, Billy Ryan, Jake Taylor and Bruce Lampman(injurys...) have a long way to go in order to make it to the NHL. Though I've seen all of them play, and all of them have special attributes that are really good and all of them have potential to make it. Though its possible that none of them will make it.

In the end it don't matter much, I am not trying to brag about my team. I just really admire the job the scouts of the NYR have done.

Tom Renney have built big parts of the organization we have today, and handled the drafts prior to him gooing behind the bench. Its Renney who have set up the strategy the NYR's have had, which lead to the tremendous depth we had in the summer of 05'. I think Renney really should get some praise for the job he have done, pretty much alone turning around the NYR.

The value of Renney's offseason camps should also not be underestimated. He got a unlimited budget to gather the best coaches during the offseason and early sent a message to the kids that if you wanted to get consideration to make it to the NHL taking full part in these camps is a must.

I was abit challenging in my last post, the "never been matched before" parts, but for me it sounds unbeliveable that one team can have 20 future NHLers in the farm at one time, does anyone know for a fact if it have been matched before? Or if someone have come close?

Last edited:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
One of the main reasons the Rangers prospects are so low profile is that the Org. has not picked a lot of high profile guys. The last three years of course. Montoya, Staal and Sanguinetti were all pretty high profile, but guys like Sauer, Dawes, Dubinsky, Cliche, Tyjtin, Hollweg, Lundqvist and Prucha were not. The light is starting to shine on some of these guys now, Prucha and Lundqvist being most obvious. The others are waiting in the wings ready to debut. They won't be a secret for too much longer.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm fairly sure that Dawes, if he doesn't make the team out of camp, will play in about 15-20 games this year on the top 3 lines and get a shot. Injuries WILL happen and I'm assuming that he'll be one of the first call-ups.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
1. Marc Staal - Perry Pearn was bang on in his comparison to Wade Redden. He coached both of them, and I trust his comparison. I watched Staal at the 06 WJC's and he was EXCELLENT. They put him against top forwards such as Kessel, Skille, and Malkin, and he shut them all down en route to being named best defenseman of the tournament. I love this kid, and I would not trade him for Jack Johnson.

2. Al Montoya - This kid has the potential to be an ELITE #1. His Stellar rookie year in Hartford, and his 04 WJC performance backing the US to the gold are just proof of that. The sad part is, he'll be pawned off in a deal about a year or two from now to get a franchise center, but whatever team we're dealing with is getting a HELL of a goaltender. Great positionally, great poise, VERY athletic as well. The next great American goaltender? Just might be.

3. Nigel Dawes - When I look at him, I see a slower version of a guy like Martin St. Louis. I can't compare the two, but that's what he reminds me of. His speed is deceptive, and his shot is excellent. Great playmaker as well, and is sound is own zone, as witnessed on his pk duties on the Canadian Ntl. Junior team, and the Wolfpack. This guy has the potential to be a 30-40 goal guy in the NHL.

4. Brandon Dubinsky - The expression out of left field applies here. I thought the selection was a good pick, but I didn't know he would develop the way he has. I don't know if there's a prospect out there who has made as much of a leap developmentally over the last half of a year as Dubinsky has. He's going to be a great 2nd line center who can put up good numbers, shutdown opposing centers as well by agitating the life out of them. He's bulked up, and added a lot more size, this kid has a lot of potential.

5. Bobby Sanguinetti - I LOVED this pick. The clips I've seen of him remind me of a guy like Scott Niedermayer. He's just such a smooth skating defender. He can join or lead the rush, and then get right back in his zone and cover his assignments. His smarts are good, his positional play is good, and he's not afraid to take the body, unlike some say. Oh, and when he hits, from what I've seen, he hits pretty hard. He could use some size, but when he fills out, we will have one hell of a defender on our hands, top-pairing guy most likely.

6. Jarkko Immonen - The great debate for the futre: Immonen or Dubinsky, which one will be the 2nd line center? Jarkko Immonen has put up GREAT numbers wherever he has gone. He was the top player in the Finnish Elite League a couple of yeras ago. First season in Hartford, last year, 30 goals, and 70 points. Some think he has the potential to be a 1st line two way center. His passing skills and vision are on an elite level, and he's got a decent shot as well. His overall vision on the ice is GREAT. The knock on him is his skating, and that's why I think he'll end up being a two-way 2nd liner one day.

7. Michael Sauer - Injury prone? Maybe. Talented? DEFINITELY. This kid was considered by MANY to be THE STEAL of the 05 draft, and you really can't argue it. He has the talent to be a top-4 two-way shutdown defender. A guy who's offensive skills are good enough to help out his team, but who's defense is his sticking point. If he can overcome injuries, he can be the heart and soul of any defense he plays for.

8. Artem Anisimov - This guy has the makings of a dominant power forward. Size, speed, skill, a great set of hands, and a good mind for the game. From the clips I saw, Anisimov was very adept positionally in his own zone. Never looked lost, which is A RARITY amongst young Russian forwards. He could bulk up a little bit, but he's still very young, he'll fill out, and once he does, he has the potential to be a 1st line center. This was a guy who fell to the 2nd round... how he got down that far, I don't know, but it was a perfect time to nab him, especially with the skill set and potential he brings to the table.

9. Ryan Callahan - This guy has a heart of gold. He just doesn't know the definition of quit, and if you ask me, he's PERFECT captain material. I really hope they hold onto him. I could see him scoring 15-20 goals, and being on our 2nd or 3rd line as a two-way player. This is the kind of guy that winning teams must have, because you don't win without at least one of them. This guy won't be an offensive dynamo, but his speed, decent hands and shot, and two-way smarts on top of his leadership abilities will make him a VERY valuable player one day.

10. Tom Pyatt - Some people might put Marc-Andre Cliche here, but I'm gonna go with Pyatt. From what I've read and heard about him, he has the ability to make some absolutely DAZZLING moves, and has some really good offensive sense. He also never gives up on a play, and has GREAT defensive instincts as well. He may not be the best skater, but word is he's improved a lot from where he was when he was drafted. I've got to believe that he will be our checking center one day.

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
Yeah Gretz, great job taking the time to make that list.:clap: It is really interesting to see what the team is going to look like in about 2 or 3 years. And that firesale before the lockout to get us all those extra picks, and prospects, was the best thing to happen for this orginization, since maybe they won the Cup.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Thanks guys, I appreciate the good feedback.

And yes, Speedtrials, I'd have to agree. That, and Dolan finally wisening up and realizing that overpaying a bunch of fading, past-prime stars who had egos that couldn't fit through the locker room door wasn't going to work.

They've just done a much better job on draft day the past few years. They're making safer and smarter picks, and they're finding guys in the late rounds who have unseen and untapped potential.

Not only that, they're taking the right risks, at the right times. Instead of drafting a project player with possible homerun potential with their first pick, passing up a boatload of great talent when they need to stock up, they've been drafting to their needs and taking risks in the later rounds.

The best example was this year's draft. They needed a defender, so Sanguinetti fell to them, and they drafted him. Great pick. In the 2nd round, they took what some people consider a risk - I don't - in Artem Anisimov. People think his consistency is bad... fine. He's young, and that will come with time, but the size and skill-set he has is that of a 1st line center. He's projected as a borderline-1 center/2-center. Also, when do you find a young Russian player that knows what the word defense means? Consistency problems or not, I'll take this guy. Those can be smoothened out down the road, with time, experience, and age. A guy with this kind of talent and smarts falls to the 2nd round? Some people were just out of their minds not to take him.

The perfect kind of risk to take at the perfect time. Even if he doesn't pan out, we didn't use our first round pick which we needed to use to address a more important and glaring need on him.

THAT is smart drafting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad