Speculation: NYR-EDM Trade?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
definitely wasn't thinking those level of prospects for Grabner thats obvious but a Third rounder for a 25 plus goal scorer who scores all his goals during pk and ES and makes peanuts is not realistic either.
a second and 3rd (or two seconds) is more like it and most likely Rangers are in a playoff spot or in the hunt and that wouldn't suffice to get rid of probably their most underrated player (besides Jesper Fast)

All depends what kind of year he has. I think you're looking at returns similar to Hudler/Purcell/Hansen in recent years. I sincerely doubt anyone is going to give up a 2nd rounder for him, let alone two, but I could be wrong.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
All depends what kind of year he has. I think you're looking at returns similar to Hudler/Purcell/Hansen in recent years. I sincerely doubt anyone is going to give up a 2nd rounder for him, let alone two, but I could be wrong.

He's a better player at both ends of the ice than those players were at the time of their being traded. Grabner is going to score 20 plus ES goals again this year again making pretty much a million dollars. If all you can get is a third rounder for Grabner than its gonna be a buyers market this year.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
You're not getting a 1st, Jones, Bear, Mantha, Puljujarvi, Benson, Yamamoto, or any impact current NHLers for Grabner.

Maybe a 2nd in 2019 but even that's a stretch. Think a 3rd rounder.

You're out of your mind if you think a 3rd rounder is fair value for Grabner. I'm shocked anyone would assume that.

He scored 27 last season. And he's on pace for about the same this year.

Take a look at what teams invest around the deadline every year for rentals. Scrubs go for third round picks. Grabner is not a scrub. And if he was your fanbase wouldn't want him.

Reactions: haveandare

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I like this guy. I like his goals. I like his play... I like his value. Let's trade him.

I'm not sure what this means. Are you saying we shouldn't trade him if we like him? Do you see him playing long term for us? If not, why shouldn't we trade him and try to get the most we can out of this? If we crawl back into a top spot, I rather take the risk of losing him for nothing, but if we're a mediocre team all season, why not?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You're not getting a 1st, Jones, Bear, Mantha, Puljujarvi, Benson, Yamamoto, or any impact current NHLers for Grabner.

Not enough for Grabner, the market will pay more for mid 20s g scorer w/speed on a cheap contract on pace to repeat.

If you don't want to pay the top bid, someone else will so no sweat.

A 2nd is about as high as I’d go on Grabner.
Still won't cut it.
Nash is doing everything except finishing, which is infuriating, and if recent history is to be believed, contenders cough up firsts for upgrades, and he is likely to get a first or a 2nd and a prospect.

If they are not a package deal, Grabner may get more.

However, neither is being given away, and give up your dreams of Kreider, Miller, Zib, Skjei -- the young core is not available.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Lol a third for a guy who would have been third in your team in goals last year behind your two elite forwards and who currently has more goals from the fourth line than anybody on your team has at all.

I’d rather keep him and let him walk then trade him for a third, that’s a horrendous return.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Did Leon sign a new contract before his ELC ran out? He is only 22.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah, that`s crazy - how is the game going?
I refuse to watch Nash - Hayes - Zucc line lol :)

I watch the game on TV, so I can`t post much. ;)

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yeah, that`s crazy - how is the game going?
I refuse to watch Nash - Hayes - Zucc line lol :)

I watch the game on TV, so I can`t post much. ;)
Yeah that contract is a real risk. Wouldn’t want to even think about trading for him until he has a bigger body of work away from McDavid to judge.

Games going well. Buch is on fire.

Reactions: Ori

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Yeah that contract is a real risk. Wouldn’t want to even think about trading for him until he has a bigger body of work away from McDavid to judge.

Games going well. Buch is on fire.

Fair point, but there is no middle ground:

If he lives up to the contract while playing away from McDavid - no way the Oil trade him.

If he struggles playing away from McDavid - no way the Rangers trade for him.

My personal opinion, I feel he's a less consistent version of Kopitar - physically dominant creative playmaker who blends puck protection/board work with intricate vision to create passing lanes that aren't there on most plays. But that's only when he's playing engaged, which is maybe 80% of the game. It's rare that he takes an entire game off, but he'll take an entire shift off (not something you expect from an 8.5 million dollar player). On the plus side, he does ramp up his game when the opposition gets physical with him - he's got push back/mean streak.

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not sure what this means. Are you saying we shouldn't trade him if we like him? Do you see him playing long term for us? If not, why shouldn't we trade him and try to get the most we can out of this? If we crawl back into a top spot, I rather take the risk of losing him for nothing, but if we're a mediocre team all season, why not?
It means it's just business. I like him. I like him but I will not marry him. So trade him until it's worth it ..

Smur

Apr 4, 2013
Nash for McDavid, toss in pick and it should be golden for Edm. Nash is a beasty goal machine and Edm could need a solid PK guy as well

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Fair point, but there is no middle ground:

If he lives up to the contract while playing away from McDavid - no way the Oil trade him.

If he struggles playing away from McDavid - no way the Rangers trade for him.

My personal opinion, I feel he's a less consistent version of Kopitar - physically dominant creative playmaker who blends puck protection/board work with intricate vision to create passing lanes that aren't there on most plays. But that's only when he's playing engaged, which is maybe 80% of the game. It's rare that he takes an entire game off, but he'll take an entire shift off (not something you expect from an 8.5 million dollar player). On the plus side, he does ramp up his game when the opposition gets physical with him - he's got push back/mean streak.
Yeah that’s true. I don’t really have much interest in him for that reason. Good player but he’ll either be worth the deal and they’d never move him or he won’t be worth the deal and it’ll be insane to take on that contract. It is what it is.

He’s a solid player, but at least for the first half of that deal, he’s getting paid like an all out superstar which I’m just not sure he is. 4 years down the line the cap could be wildly different so who knows then.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Yeah he’s getting like 8.5 for 8 years starting next year. Insane.

Oiler fans, as of yet, don't regret the Draisaitl contract. He signed after his ELC ran out. The Oilers wanted him long term so they didn't go for a bridge deal. Roof Daddy feels Leon is a less consistent version of Kopitar? Well that isn't terrible and Draisaitl is only 22. He hit 77 points last year. He was a beast in the playoffs.

Bluntly put Draisaitl is better than every forward the Rangers have. That's at 22 years old. Insane indeed.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is the tweet the OP is basing this thread on:

They still got a 2nd 3rd and 7th for Talbot. The Lehner trade messed up the goalie market that day

I believe it was 3rd, 4th, and 7th for Talbot and 7th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->