Speculation: NYR-EDM Trade?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
  • This forum is a mess - all writing in bold.
  • Oilers scouting, because we will meet them soon.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
They probably can't afford to sign him if he does put up another 25+ goals. The best they can do is hold out until trade deadline and hope Grabner keeps up the pace to maximize his value. Then they have to deal with A) Lose him for nothing if they're in the playoff picture, or B) Trade him for the best offer.

This is all correct. I agree. Gonna come down to whether they are out of the playoff picture. He's very important to this club.

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
They probably can't afford to sign him if he does put up another 25+ goals. The best they can do is hold out until trade deadline and hope Grabner keeps up the pace to maximize his value. Then they have to deal with A) Lose him for nothing if they're in the playoff picture, or B) Trade him for the best offer.
I like this guy. I like his goals. I like his play... I like his value. Let's trade him.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Why would they trade either without massive overpayment? They are both young and fit the core.

Massive overpayment for Kreider and Miller? I don't see that coming from anyone in the league. If Kreider would play consistently as he is capable of then I would say he could command a great return. He hasn't done that yet and although NYR fans like him I don't think a winger like Kreider gets anywhere near an overpayment from anybody.

Miller is a good young player. A 50 point guy who is flexible in the line up. Still not enough for a massive overpayment.

I'd let either player play on my team, that's for sure.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Grabner I think would make a lot of sense on any potential playoff contender. He's a great story for the NHL. Stay persistent, keep in shape. Anything can happen.

Reactions: haveandare

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Grabner makes a ton of sense for the Oilers. Wouldn't command a ton, our bottom six stinks, and outside of McDavid our team speed is pretty meh.
I think I'd throw him in our top 6 tbh, but I agree he makes a ton of sense. Team could desperately use a speedy Cy Young winger. Either throw him on RNH's wing RW or on McDavids and put Drai on RNH's wing since they seem set on keeping RNH at centre (and given his FO% this year thats probably a good thing).

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Mika Zibanejad with 17 pts so far + B. Smith + 1st in 2019 for Leon D. thoughts?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

Other sources say a Grabner + Nash for something or Miller + Kreider for something.

Miller is not going anywhere, so for a Grabner + Nash trade what could come in return?

Oilers continue to have cap problems looming next year but taking on nash might make some sense. Nash may feel he doesnt want to play in canada but getting a chance to play with mcdavid or draisailt might revive his career enough to earn him another payday.

If i was playing nhl 2017 gm... id toss out this idea

Nash (50% retained)
Kreider
Grabner

For

Hopkins
2018 first round pick
Conditional 2019 pick if edmonton resigns either ufa

Oilers get a winger in kreider who should mesh with mcdavid. And radically increase depth for this year. But even clear a bit of cap room moving forward

Rangers get a center that might benefit from change of scenery and a first for kreider. Maybe they give up a couple later picks that they might otherwise get at deadline but if they actually like nash and grabner they could resign both next year.

Hopkins and a first has value to ny imho

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Mika Zibanejad with 17 pts so far + B. Smith + 1st in 2019 for Leon D. thoughts?
No interest from Edmonton's side. While I like Mika, I think he's a definite downgrade on Draisaitl and Edmonton isn't looking to downgrade either of their star players. There's really very few scenarios where I could see management entertaining the idea of moving Leon.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah I understand that - Mika on ppg race, but I don`t know for how long to be honest.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Replace Smith with an actual stud defensemen and then that phone call only gets you hung up on, not blocked.
yeah tempting to put Ryan Mc. in there, but then we are kind of rebuilding and Oilers need to add +1st. :)

Besides we are used to moving captains - not an issue in New York as long Glen Sather is the president. ))

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Grabner makes a ton of sense for the Oilers. Wouldn't command a ton, our bottom six stinks, and outside of McDavid our team speed is pretty meh.

whats your definition of "wouldn't command a ton" ???

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
yeah tempting to put Ryan Mc. in there, but then we are kind of rebuilding and Oilers need to add +1st. :)

McDonagh's UFA status and the fact he's a left hander make him not so appealing that we'd give up an extra 1st I'd imagine. Your 1st in 2019 isn't all that appealing anyway as a (hopeful) contender.

Zib, Zucc and McD for Draisaitl and a small plus is probably closer.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I can see Ryan Mc. being moved for a right deal though - he fits perfectly with the plans to get Chytil & Lias ready for NHL. :)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah I understand that - Mika on ppg race, but I don`t know for how long to be honest.

The fact that you don't know is the problem. Zibanejad has done nothing in his career to suggest he's anything more than a 45-55 point guy. Throwing in Smith and a 1st doesn't change anything. Draisaitl is untouchable.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
whats your definition of "wouldn't command a ton" ???

You're not getting a 1st, Jones, Bear, Mantha, Puljujarvi, Benson, Yamamoto, or any impact current NHLers for Grabner.

Maybe a 2nd in 2019 but even that's a stretch. Think a 3rd rounder.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
McDonagh's UFA status and the fact he's a left hander make him not so appealing that we'd give up an extra 1st I'd imagine. Your 1st in 2019 isn't all that appealing anyway as a (hopeful) contender.

Zib, Zucc and McD for Draisaitl and a small plus is probably closer.

Zucc & Leon had good chemistry in the World cup @SamSteelFan4Ever - Oilers should try to get Zucc for a future + since you`re contenders no doubts about that, but just a slow start like us. :)

Yeah, I am aware of that @ChaoticOrange - it`s like trading a top 6 for a future +1 st - it`s highly unknown what your return is in the next draft year.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Other sources say a Grabner + Nash for something or Miller + Kreider for something.

Miller is not going anywhere, so for a Grabner + Nash trade what could come in return?

A Nash trade would return 50% of his salary back to the Rangers :)

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
You're not getting a 1st, Jones, Bear, Mantha, Puljujarvi, Benson, Yamamoto, or any impact current NHLers for Grabner.

Maybe a 2nd in 2019 but even that's a stretch. Think a 3rd rounder.

definitely wasn't thinking those level of prospects for Grabner thats obvious but a Third rounder for a 25 plus goal scorer who scores all his goals during pk and ES and makes peanuts is not realistic either.
a second and 3rd (or two seconds) is more like it and most likely Rangers are in a playoff spot or in the hunt and that wouldn't suffice to get rid of probably their most underrated player (besides Jesper Fast)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->