Confirmed with Link: NYR claim Adam Cracknell off waivers from Dallas

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
buh bye cheeto
Unfortunately/fortunately this is what must be for now. Must be overwhelmed a bit. Too little minutes to get any kind of on ice awareness and experience.
I would've played him on the 3rd and dropped down Grabs as he is a one man show and just needs someone to break him out.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
As far as Cracknell, know OF HIM, don't know his actual strengths.......apparently a big body in which we probably need to help our Smurfs out. Lol.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
which he's been dragging along like a corpse since he left western canada, yeah that one.

he's got a quick trigger to default back to older players who he can"trust". on its face its the safe play for sure, but at some point you have to let the kids grow and play. its called development and he seems allergic to it.

Coaches don't just let any players play. They coach them. If they are making mistakes they will play less so that they learn from their mistakes. Often a reduction in ice time is the biggest tool a coach has to change a players mistakes. AV didn't have any problem playing 3 rookies at one time for much of last season. He has a responsibility to put out the guys he thinks are playing the best. There will always be a few disagreements and in some situations there is no right answer. For example last season when his choice for #1 right side defense was often Girardi, Klein, Holden, etc there was no right choice so people bash no matter what.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Coaches don't just let any players play. They coach them. If they are making mistakes they will play less so that they learn from their mistakes. Often a reduction in ice time is the biggest tool a coach has to change a players mistakes. AV didn't have any problem playing 3 rookies at one time for much of last season. He has a responsibility to put out the guys he thinks are playing the best. There will always be a few disagreements and in some situations there is no right answer. For example last season when his choice for #1 right side defense was often Girardi, Klein, Holden, etc there was no right choice so people bash no matter what.

There was a right choice. Holden Klein Girardi might be choosing the best of three bad options but they aren't equivalent options still.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
There was a right choice. Holden Klein Girardi might be choosing the best of three bad options but they aren't equivalent options still.
Which of the 3 would AV not have been bashed for playing on the first pairing?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
There is still not a right choice for #1RD

I'm not sure where they got it in their heads that moving LD to RD was something to strive towards, or that players who had yet to play top pair or 2nd pair should be assumed capable of it.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah, I looked at that. I think you must be thinking of someone else. He's had one NHL fight and that was in preseason this year. Watching some of his minor league fights at Hockeyfights I'd have to say that's not really an area he's very good at and he should avoid fighting if at all possible.

He does have a big body and big bodies can wear other teams down. He's a 4th line guy. He'll find a niche or he won't. If he works out great--if not give someone else a shot.

It's interesting to see how much of that he cut out as he made it to the NHL level.

Even going back to his WHL and ECHL days, he had a little bit more aggression in his game. Not that I expected him to go out and be a goon, but I'm always a little surprised to see 12 PIMs in 69 NHL games and 46 in 204 career NHL games.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We're falling into that same trap.

Defend AV all year; act surprised when he hands over a playoff series.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If Cracknell is claimed off waivers, he is tied for the shortest stint in Rangers history for a player claimed and lost on waivers. Trent Whitfield in 2002 was on the roster for 17 days in between waiver claims, same as Cracknell when claimed tomorrow.

Reactions: TheTakedown

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
What was the purpose of claiming this player in the first place? Seems not well-thought-out. Either they didn’t know the player or the player didn’t do what was expected. Or they’re just taking pot-shots. Or was he just keeping Fast’s seat warm? In which case, now that Fast looks healthy, this makes sense. I hope the rangers brass has a plan but I’m losing confidence.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
What was the purpose of claiming this player in the first place? Seems not well-thought-out. Either they didn’t know the player or the player didn’t do what was expected. Or they’re just taking pot-shots. Or was he just keeping Fast’s seat warm? In which case, now that Fast looks healthy, this makes sense. I hope the rangers brass has a plan but I’m losing confidence.

I just saw this as taking a shot to grab a bottom-6 player for free to both avoid having to trade to get one and to let the kids gel in Hartford. With Fast just coming back, it's possible the team didn't want to throw him right into it if he wasn't 100%, and DD, Hayes, Vesey, etc. were slow to get going.

Didn't work. We move on. I think we all knew this year was going to be a step back in an attempt to retool.

Does it look great right now? No, but TDA and Andersson are two nice pieces to have in the system. The Andersson pick also allowed us to swing for the fences by taking a risk on Chytil. Will it work out? Who knows, but we had to do something because the cap will slowly be sneaking up on us with Miller, Hayes, Vesey, Skjei, Buch, etc. due for raises.

It's obvious that our current method isn't working, and so I think we're on the right path in terms of drafting well, developing prospects, and, ideally, coming to develop our own top talent. The blue-collar Blueshirts of 2011-2012 were a very close-knit group and were a lot of fun to root for, but that formula doesn't win, unfortunately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad