Confirmed Trade: [NYR/BOS] Rick Nash (50% ret.) for Lindgren, Spooner, Beleskey (50% ret.), 2018 1st, 2019 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
The rumor was the Rangers wanted DeBrusk who is cheaper and has a higher ceiling and possibly Carlo. Good for Spooner I really liked his skill set but he was not going be in Boston next year with Donato, Bjork or Cehlarik needing a place to play. Krejci and Spooner were passers both very good but that line needed a shooter. Again very impressed with Holden, guy has top 4 potential on dee.
Holden will break your resolve and make you question your love of the game

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Holden will break your resolve and make you question your love of the game

hes only played 2 games (I think) but he has looked solid

honestly he probably got the terrible reputation in NY just from being over worked

wasn't he on the top pairing for NYR? he should get easy 2nd/3rd pairing minutes with easier matchups

can't put a square peg in a round hole

that said, with McAvoy seemingly out it will be hilarious if he fills in on the top pair

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA

honestly he probably got the terrible reputation in NY just from being over worked

wasn't he on the top pairing for NYR? he should get easy 2nd/3rd pairing minutes with easier matchups

that said, with McAvoy seemingly out it will be hilarious if he fills in on the top pair

This is not hilarious, and is actually terrifying.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This is why Boston made the trade. Spooner will put up points if you let him do his thing like they are in NY. He couldn't do "his thing" on a team that preaches defense and two-way play. Nash fits what Boston is doing about a million times better.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
This is why Boston made the trade. Spooner will put up points if you let him do his thing like they are in NY. He couldn't do "his thing" on a team that preaches defense and two-way play. Nash fits what Boston is doing about a million times better.

Nash is certainly a beast when it comes to keeping pressure in his opponents zone. Unfortunately, at least for his Rangers tenure, he did not do very well at suppressing scoring chances while in his own zone.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

Seems to be a theme with NYR defensemen over the last few seasons.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Seems to be a theme with NYR defensemen over the last few seasons.

Holdens reputation was well deserved. He was absolutely horrid in that series against Ottawa. Probably the single worst performance from a Ranger I have season in 11 years of making the playoffs.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Holdens reputation was well deserved. He was absolutely horrid in that series against Ottawa. Probably the single worst performance from a Ranger I have season in 11 years of making the playoffs.
I'm not speaking to anything specific since I don't watch the Rangers. Just seems like a lot of the feedback from fans is that pretty much every dman they've iced over the last few seasons has been playing at least one spot higher than they should have been

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'm not speaking to anything specific since I don't watch the Rangers. Just seems like a lot of the feedback from fans is that pretty much every dman they've iced over the last few seasons has been playing at least one spot higher than they should have been
8420841.jpg

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Holden is perfectly acceptable in a lesser role, with less minutes, and not used as the key guy with 2 minutes left in a 1 goal, or tied game.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

No. It really wasn't well deserved. What is Holden supposed to say? "Hey AV & Beuk, you know, Staal and I aren't really feeling it. We have been getting our asses handed to us by Ottawa's top line all series. Maybe throw McDonagh and Girardi back out there or Skjei and Smith? Thanks Brochachos.".

Holden, like Girardi, was over used. He is a great third pairing defenseman. AV and Beuk still thought they knew better and threw Holden and Staal out to get fried.

That is exactly it. A good coach is like a good manager. They find the right seat on the bus for the right people. If anyone has read the book From Good to Great, you know what I am talking about. If you accomplish that, you get a Vegas like result. AV insisted on saying "Naww... f*** that. I know better than everyone else. I know I can get a square peg in a round hole and I'm gonna keep on trying to do it just to show everyone that I am brilliant and that it can be done".

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
No. It really wasn't well deserved. What is Holden supposed to say? "Hey AV & Beuk, you know, Staal and I aren't really feeling it. We have been getting our asses handed to us by Ottawa's top line all series. Maybe throw McDonagh and Girardi back out there or Skjei and Smith? Thanks Brochachos.".

Holden, like Girardi, was over used. He is a great third pairing defenseman. AV and Beuk still thought they knew better and threw Holden and Staal out to get fried.

That is exactly it. A good coach is like a good manager. They find the right seat on the bus for the right people. If anyone has read the book From Good to Great, you know what I am talking about. If you accomplish that, you get a Vegas like result. AV insisted on saying "Naww... **** that. I know better than everyone else. I know I can get a square peg in a round hole and I'm gonna keep on trying to do it just to show everyone that I am brilliant and that it can be done".

With all of that said, I still wouldn't have given up anything more than a 5th for Holden. I'm happy they got that 3rd from Boston.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Boston got ripped off beyond belief in that deal.

Spooner, two picks, a prospect for a 35 point winger who got injured.

Yeah, not a good deal at all.

I didn’t think it was at the time (I think Spooner alone would have been fair) but add in the injury and it’s been a disaster for Boston

bizman

Feb 27, 2009
montreal

I didn’t think it was at the time (I think Spooner alone would have been fair) but add in the injury and it’s been a disaster for Boston
Like Boston really needed him for the regular season. Get a grip.

Tmac37

Apr 1, 2018
Formerly Tmac21

Bruins fans are fine with the deal, Rick will be back for playoffs.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Like Boston really needed him for the regular season. Get a grip.

Bruins fans are fine with the deal, Rick will be back for playoffs.

Never said he wouldn’t be. However he suffered a concussion. It’s quite possible that, like most players, his play is affected by that concussion even when he’s cleared to play.

This deal, to this point, hasn’t been a good deal for Boston at all.

And hey, maybe Rick Nash destroys NJD/TOR and beyond in the playoffs and it works out.

However at this point in time, I’m not sure how you can call this a “win-win”

bizman

Feb 27, 2009
montreal
Never said he wouldn’t be. However he suffered a concussion. It’s quite possible that, like most players, his play is affected by that concussion even when he’s cleared to play.

This deal, to this point, hasn’t been a good deal for Boston at all.

And hey, maybe Rick Nash destroys NJD/TOR and beyond in the playoffs and it works out.

However at this point in time, I’m not sure how you can call this a “win-win”
First point is that injuries happen, doesn't take away from any the deal was made at the time. Second point is the trade should be judged after its intended goal has been played out. Let's wait to see how he fares in the playoffs. Third point is the Bruins have drafted so well and have so many kids in the pipeline that what they gave up is just a drop in the bucket. This trade is a minor deal for Boston, let's not get too out of sorts if it fails. Boston needed someone with size and skill, Sweeney made the right deal and we got rid of half of Beleskey's contract.

Reactions: Chief Nine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->