Proposal: Nyquist to Nashville

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If the 1st (and more) is moving out, the Preds are likely aiming higher than Nyquist.

And I don't think they'd trade Ejdsell less than one year after he chose them over Detroit and others.
Welcome, Mort! As a counter, what would you suggest as an acceptable pick(s) for Nyquist (with salary retention)?

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Welcome, Mort! As a counter, what would you suggest as an acceptable pick(s) for Nyquist (with salary retention)?

Personally, I would be fine with a 2nd and a prospect of similar value to Ejdsell, I just don't think it's a good look to trade a guy that just signed as a UFA less than a year after wooing him to your team. Wings can also have Aberg, the roster is full for the Preds and no one is waiver exempt. Maybe another mid pick depending on retention amount, though I'm not sure the Preds necessarily need much retention.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Let's do it. I don't even care what we get. I just want to make a trade.

Vwnxwbi.png

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Personally, I would be fine with a 2nd and a prospect of similar value to Ejdsell, I just don't think it's a good look to trade a guy that just signed as a UFA less than a year after wooing him to your team. Wings can also have Aberg, the roster is full for the Preds and no one is waiver exempt. Maybe another mid pick depending on retention amount, though I'm not sure the Preds necessarily need much retention.
Would a 2nd and Trevor Murphy be in the ballpark then, or is he "off limits"? Eliteprospects has him ranked immediately beneath Ejdsell, and I'm much more interested in getting a defenseman than a forward.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Would a 2nd and Trevor Murphy be in the ballpark then, or is he "off limits"? Eliteprospects has him ranked immediately beneath Ejdsell, and I'm much more interested in getting a defenseman than a forward.

That's fine with me. And no one is really off limits (except maybe Tolvanen), I just wouldn't want to trade a recent young UFA, might hurt the next time you try to entice a college or European UFA.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Downgrade. Jarnkrok is doing fine here in Nashville, but he's a redundant small player with okay skills.... he has proven to not be a loss for the Wings. I remember when people around here called him Zetterberg 2.0. LOL - boy those were the days! :sarcasm:
Wasn't it Hakan who said he was Zetterberg 2.0?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

He looked very good on the big ice. Never really made enough strength or skating gains. I can't find the Hakan quote, I believe it was on RWC. But Hakan is always overly complimentary on prospects, basically the opposite of Tyler Wright in that regard.

According to Bob Duff of the Windsor Star, Detroit’s Development Coach Jiri Fischer had this to say about Jarnkrok’s potential just last month.
“He’s certainly one of our most talented, if not the most talented prospect,” Fischer said. “Not to take anything away from others like Anthony Mantha, but Calle, the stuff he can do – he is as good as anybody in terms of hand-eye coordination and skill in tight places.

Last April, Ansar Khan of MLive.com caught up with former Red Wing’s captain and current Red Wing’s European scout Nicklas Lidstrom, and Wings defenseman Jonathan Ericsson to talk about Jarnkrok.
“He's a very shifty guy, he's quick, he's got quick hands, he sees the ice very well,'' Lidstrom said. “He's got real good hockey sense. He needs to get stronger and get used to playing on this ice surface, but he's got a lot of potential.''
Many have likened Jarnkrok's style to current Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg.
“You do see a lot of similarities to how Hank plays,'' Lidstrom said. “He's got that ability to hang onto the puck and not throw it away unless he has to. He can hold off guys and make that play when there's an opening and wait for that opening, too.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
"Many have likened the STYLE to Henrik Zetterberg."

Also Button pointed out, that he isn't comparing Andrei Svechnikov to Marian Hossa, but they play with same STYLE.

STYLE and compete level against NHL shutdown lines can be very different.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

I believe I read it as a tongue in cheek comparison on RWC and fans blew it up and promoted it like our future #1 C hole was solved. Who actually started he was the "Zetterberg 2.0" claim, I don't know. But it is not uncommon for casual fans to read a snippet and spread it around like it's who the player is going to become. Remember the comment about Larkin being "Helm with hands" compassion and everyone wrote him off before they even watched him play a single game?

As for Jarnkrok, he isn't anything special. His value is a 2nd or a 3rd rounder at best. And I get why Ken Holland traded him for depth considering the current state of the owner at the time. Trying to give Mr. I one last hoo-rah before he passed. Jarnkrok was well worth the expense to do that. He was certainly no major loss, and I find it funny when his name is mentioned like he was going to be some sort of core player for us.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ahh yes. The David Legwand era.

*fights down the inevitable nausea*

And we're all better now. Good times.

Hopefully there can now be a SMART trade with Nashville, whether it's Nyquist or another player.

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
I wouldn't be a fan of any trade of Nyquist that involved Red Wings retaining salary. I don't think they should have to retain to trade him, he's not on a terrible contract.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yep. I'd much much rather be effectively "buying better draft picks" than having that money collect dust on the roster (if it's for a buyout, or a player that doesn't make sense to keep).

With the 2018 and 2019 drafts being highly regarded, load up in any way you can, as long as it makes sense in the context of the rebuilding plan being used.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I don't know about Nashville, but I did see an interesting Nyquist proposal for sending him to the Blues in a thread about Jordan Schmaltz:

Jordan Schmaltz
Carl Gunnarsson
2nd Rounder
+?

for

Nyquist (with $1M retained)
Ouellet/Russo (yes Russo was thrown into it)

-Schmaltz gives the Red Wings an NHL ready PMD that still has upside
-Gunnarsson is under contract for one more year at $2.9M. Adding him maybe keeps Holland from signing a UFA dman with term over the summer, and then they can move him at next years deadline for a pick or two
-Late 2nd is a late 2nd
-Blues get a winger they need at an affordable price, clear out salary and a couple dmen that can't get into their top 6, and they get a cheaper #7 dman.

A number of Blues fans surprisingly seemed all in, which makes me think it's a bargain on their end...

Thoughts?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I can't say I'm very familiar with the other players involved, but if it's just a matter of slight balancing, have the Blues add in a 4th rounder to even it out.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I believe I read it as a tongue in cheek comparison on RWC and fans blew it up and promoted it like our future #1 C hole was solved. Who actually started he was the "Zetterberg 2.0" claim, I don't know. But it is not uncommon for casual fans to read a snippet and spread it around like it's who the player is going to become. Remember the comment about Larkin being "Helm with hands" compassion and everyone wrote him off before they even watched him play a single game?

As for Jarnkrok, he isn't anything special. His value is a 2nd or a 3rd rounder at best. And I get why Ken Holland traded him for depth considering the current state of the owner at the time. Trying to give Mr. I one last hoo-rah before he passed. Jarnkrok was well worth the expense to do that. He was certainly no major loss, and I find it funny when his name is mentioned like he was going to be some sort of core player for us.

What an idiotic move that was, Mr I or not.
Who in their right mind thought Legwand was going to give the Red Wings a last "hoo-rah?"

As for RWC, here's the draft day article:
The Red Wings jumped all over Jarnkrok with their second-round pick (51st overall) in Saturday's NHL draft in Los Angeles. Central Scouting ranked him as the fourth-best European skater in the draft after bumping him up 13 spots from mid-season, and the Red Wings absolutely love his offensive upside.

The rail-thin 5-foot-11 156-pounder first caught the eyes of Red Wings' scouts at various under-18 international tournaments early in the year, but it was later in the campaign when he was called up to Brynas's Swedish Elite League club that he really started to skyrocket up their pre-draft ranking.

After finishing third in J-20 SuperElit scoring with 31 points in 19 games, he put up four goals and six assists in 33 games in the Elite League. He wasn't a spare part, either, taking a regular shift on the power play.

"He was good early on, but when he can go to the Swedish Elite League and play on the power play and pretty well own the puck for a lot of the time he's out there, that tells you something," said Red Wings director of scouting Joe McDonnell. "He has a lot of skill. His skating and playmaking ability are the big things with him. He's really good with the puck and he sees the ice really well."

Vuori raved about Jarnkrok's smarts and power-play instincts, calling him "involved" and saying he's "not shy playing against pros." He can carry the puck in top flight and his 1-on-1 skills help him make highlight-reel plays.

Teams may have been down on Jarnkrok because of his size.

"We met him at the draft ... 156 pounds might be a little light — I didn't pick him up — but he's definitely pretty slim," McDonnell said.

That's where the comparison to Zetterberg holds the most water. The Red Wings star almost didn't get drafted back in 1999 because he was virtually the same size as Jarnkrok. But Zetterberg dedicated himself to getting stronger and the rest is history. Can Jarnkrok do the same? The Red Wings aren't sure, but they give him high marks for on-ice work ethic and competitiveness.

"The thing we'll find out now is how well he competes off the ice in order to get bigger," McDonnell said. "That's the big thing with him."

Unlike Zetterberg, Jarnkrok never seemed to thicken up at all.
He also clearly didn't have Z's strength or skill.
Still, he's a good player.
“I like to think of him like a Zetterberg. He wants to have the puck, he wants to hold onto the puck all the time, he makes plays (for his linemates) and he knows how to score himself.” — Red Wings scout Ari Vuori (June 2010) … “When he can go to the Swedish Elite League (at age 18) and play on the power play and pretty well own the puck for a lot of the time he’s out there, that tells you something. He has a lot of skill. His skating and playmaking ability are the big things with him. He’s really good with the puck and he sees the ice really well.” — Red Wings director of scouting Joe McDonnell (June 2010) … “Jarnkrok really gives it everything he has, every shift, which is something that obviously can be taught, but it’s really nice when a player has it from the beginning … He’s got all the other stuff, like the hockey sense, the hands, and very good work ethic.” — Red Wings director of European scouting Hakan Andersson (April 2011) … “He’s taken a bigger responsibility and all of his good things he does are showing even more this year. The smart thinking, the quick hands, the quick release, the work ethic — that’s always been very good and it’s the same this year — his whole game, he has just taken it to another level.” — Andersson (February 2012) … “He has great hockey sense, very tenacious, a lot of (Henrik) Zetterberg-type qualities. He’s strong on the puck, never gives up on the puck.” — Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill (May 2012, MLive.com) … “He’s a very shifty guy, he’s quick, he’s got quick hands, he sees the ice very well. He’s got real good hockey sense. He needs to get stronger and get used to playing on this ice surface, but he’s got a lot of potential … He’s got that ability to hang onto the puck and not throw it away unless he has to. He can hold off guys and make that play when there’s an opening.” — Former Red Wings defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom (April 2013, MLive.com) … “He’s probably the best prospect in our organization overall. Whenever he makes the transition overseas, he’s going to be really exciting to watch at the NHL level.” — Red Wings director of player development Jiri Fischer (December 2012) … “We all feel he’s a top-six forward in the long run. He’s a smart player, he works really hard, he’s got good hands, good hockey sense. Adapting to the (NHL) game, I don’t think it’s going to be a problem.” — Andersson (February 2013).

By the way, in the Sheahan-vs-Neilsen-vs Jarnkrok race, here are this year's 5 on 5 stats:
Jarnkrok 8-10-18 1.79/60
Nielsen 6-3-9 0.9/60
Sheahan 3-10-13 1.38/60

Jarnkrok's 18 points would rank as such on Detroit
Larkin 24
Zetterberg 22
Mantha 20
Nyquist 19
Athanasiou 18
Jarnkrok 18

His Points/60 like so
Athanasiou 2.2
Larkin 2.02
Mantha 1.85
Frk 1.81
Jarnkrok 1.79

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Nyquist for Jarnkrok.

Send Jarnkrok to Grand Rapids out of spite.

Make it happen, Kenny!

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don't know about Nashville, but I did see an interesting Nyquist proposal for sending him to the Blues in a thread about Jordan Schmaltz:

Jordan Schmaltz
Carl Gunnarsson
2nd Rounder
+?

for

Nyquist (with $1M retained)
Ouellet/Russo (yes Russo was thrown into it)

-Schmaltz gives the Red Wings an NHL ready PMD that still has upside
-Gunnarsson is under contract for one more year at $2.9M. Adding him maybe keeps Holland from signing a UFA dman with term over the summer, and then they can move him at next years deadline for a pick or two
-Late 2nd is a late 2nd
-Blues get a winger they need at an affordable price, clear out salary and a couple dmen that can't get into their top 6, and they get a cheaper #7 dman.

A number of Blues fans surprisingly seemed all in, which makes me think it's a bargain on their end...

Thoughts?

I'd rather keep nyquist than accept that trade.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Jarnkrok's 18 points would rank as such on Detroit
Larkin 24
Zetterberg 22
Mantha 20
Nyquist 19
Athanasiou 18
Jarnkrok 18

His Points/60 like so
Athanasiou 2.2
Larkin 2.02
Mantha 1.85
Frk 1.81
Jarnkrok 1.79

Thanks for posting the Jarnkrok comparison to Zetterberg. It's still makes me LOL. I feel like when I read his old scouting report vs what he has become makes me feel like he was a bust. He's not a fan favorite here in Nashville. Most fans here probably don't even know his name or back story.

It's amazing he's putting up points on a top 2 Stanley Cup playoff team compared to our players who are on a rebuilding team. Interesting. Jarnkrok wasn't relevant to anything Red and White. As far as fans in Nashville, he's not that relevant here either. Definitely replaceable.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
What an idiotic move that was, Mr I or not.
Who in their right mind thought Legwand was going to give the Red Wings a last "hoo-rah?"

To be fair, nobody thought that Legwand was going to be the a last "hoo-rah". At the time the Wings lost Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Helm to injury and had Andersson as their 1C. The trade was made to keep them in the playoffs with the hope that D & Z coming back would give them their last "hoo-rah".

Given Ilittch's health at the time, and looking at what happened to just a few years later.

Losing Jarnkrok (a decent third liner) for potentially one last chance to do something in the playoffs when you are close to death is not really something I can fault a guy for.

Sure in hindsight for all of us still alive with hopefully many many many years left to watch this team play it seems like a bad trade, but through Illitch's eye's at the time, I cant blame the guy at all if he wanted it.

Losing Jarnkrok IMO is a sacrifice that we as fans should be able to handle if it gave Mr.I another year to hope his team could do something considering everything he did for this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->