Proposal: Nyquist to Nashville

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Detroit is a seller, seeking to stockpile draft picks for pending UFAs, and possibly other veteran players with shorter remaining contracts.

Nashville is in 'win now' mode, seeking a top six forward (NHL Rurmors: New York Islanders, and the Central Division), but would prefer a rental over a player coming back next year, mostly due to cap space.

So what's a realistic asking price for Gus, and how much retention is needed to get Nashville to bite? I think he'd be a good fit for the Preds, if a deal can be struck.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not sure we'd have to retain anything. They have plenty of cap space this year and next with all of their significant pieces signed long term. No real clue on price, but maybe something like Pettersson and a 3rd?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I can see Nyquist waiving his full NTC for Nashville, Probably a 2018 2nd round pick and a decent prospect don't really know Nashville's prospect pool maybe that Swedish kid it was between Detroit and Nashville for him Victor Ejdsell

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I can see Nyquist waiving his full NTC for Nashville, Probably a 2018 2nd round pick and a decent prospect don't really know Nashville's prospect pool maybe that Swedish kid it was between Detroit and Nashville for him Victor Ejdsell

I could to. He'd fit in nicely here and would have plenty of natives to play with. This proposal could make sense and I approve!

That said, I doubt Nashville will pay too much to acquire him.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don't see the point in trading Nyquist if all we're getting back is a 2nd and a long shot prospect.

Maybe no one is willing to give up more than that but we we'd be lucky to get a player of Nyquist's caliber in the 2nd round.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I don't see the point in trading Nyquist if all we're getting back is a 2nd and a long shot prospect.

Maybe no one is willing to give up more than that but we we'd be lucky to get a player of Nyquist's caliber in the 2nd round.

whats even more unlikely is nyquist (28) being a useful player for us by the time we are ready to push for a cup again

we have to take what we can get and build 100% for the future

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I could to. He'd fit in nicely here and would have plenty of natives to play with. This proposal could make sense and I approve!

That said, I doubt Nashville will pay too much to acquire him.
Agreed the 2018 2nd+Victor Ejdsell should be more then fair enough for Nyquist pretty sure i read somewhere that Nashville had interest in Nyquist/Tatar i believe Dreger mentioned it. I agree i don't see David Poile giving up too much for Nyquist but what i proposed is pretty fair and it wouldn't cost them that much.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
whats even more unlikely is nyquist (28) being a useful player for us by the time we are ready to push for a cup again

we have to take what we can get and build 100% for the future

1) You gotta start by asking what he can get you at the 2019 Trade Deadline. A guy like Nyquist probably gets you at least a 3rd as a rental so shipping him off now for a similar return is just poor asset management.

2) Just because you don't see him as useful when we push for the cup doesn't mean he is useless now. We know Holland will choose to insulate his young guns with NHL players rather than AHL trash. Like it or not, Holland is not going to ship a legit top 6 player (under contract) off for magic beans.

Reactions: Pavels Dog

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd prefer to keep him, but I've been a fan of his for awhile.

I might bite on something like 2019 2nd + Farrance for Nyquist, but with Nashville, their 2nd is probably going to be closer to a 3rd. I like Fabbro, but not sure if we they would be open to dealing him, or if we would have to add anything to that.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Agreed the 2018 2nd+Victor Ejdsell should be more then fair enough for Nyquist pretty sure i read somewhere that Nashville had interest in Nyquist/Tatar i believe Dreger mentioned it. I agree i don't see David Poile giving up too much for Nyquist but what i proposed is pretty fair and it wouldn't cost them that much.

Nashville does not have a 2nd rounder this year.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
1) You gotta start by asking what he can get you at the 2019 Trade Deadline. A guy like Nyquist probably gets you at least a 3rd as a rental so shipping him off now for a similar return is just poor asset management.

2) Just because you don't see him as useful when we push for the cup doesn't mean he is useless now. We know Holland will choose to insulate his young guns with NHL players rather than AHL trash. Like it or not, Holland is not going to ship a legit top 6 player (under contract) off for magic beans.

There's no guarantee he gets you more next year.
I think if I was a team with cap space, I'd actually pay more knowing I have the year.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I'd prefer to keep him, but I've been a fan of his for awhile.

I might bite on something like 2019 2nd + Farrance for Nyquist, but with Nashville, their 2nd is probably going to be closer to a 3rd. I like Fabbro, but not sure if we they would be open to dealing him, or if we would have to add anything to that.

They won't move Fabbro.
I like Farrance. Liked him before the draft and would have used a 2nd or early third on him.
Saw him go end-to-end a few times for team USA at the World Junior Showcase.

I'd prefer to get an 18 pick, but 19 works too if you're getting Farrance.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

This could really for both ways. Switch it to 2019 2nd.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
There's no guarantee he gets you more next year.
I think if I was a team with cap space, I'd actually pay more knowing I have the year.

You're right there are no guarantees but if we look for comparable trades a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Nyquist as a rental is a reasonable expectation.

I certainly agree with your point that a team should be willing to give up more to acquire him now.

Given that, a 2nd + a B prospect to trade nyquist right now doesn't seem like good value. And that's before discussing the fact that our GM values Experienced NHL players more than long shot picks.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Downgrade. Jarnkrok is doing fine here in Nashville, but he's a redundant small player with okay skills.... he has proven to not be a loss for the Wings. I remember when people around here called him Zetterberg 2.0. LOL - boy those were the days! :sarcasm:

Last 5 seasons Järnkrok has been 0.38 point per game guy for the Preds.

Comparables.

Gustav Nyquist 0.63
Martin Frk 0,42
Ty.Bertuzzi 0.41
Brad Richards at Detroit 0.41
Calle Järnkrok at Nashville 0.38
Stephen Weiss at Detroit 0.37
Riley Sheahan at Detroit.34

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If the Nashville board is any indication, they're not at all interested in giving up any decent defensive prospects. They'd sooner just find a lesser forward at a bargain bin price.

So I'd rather approach it as something like:

Nyquist (50% retained) + a DET 3rd in 2018 for a NAS 1st rounder in 2018 + a NAS 3rd in 2019.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If the Nashville board is any indication, they're not at all interested in giving up any decent defensive prospects. They'd sooner just find a lesser forward at a bargain bin price.

So I'd rather approach it as something like:

Nyquist (50% retained) + a DET 3rd in 2018 for a NAS 1st rounder in 2018 + a NAS 3rd in 2019.

No fans want to give up their prospects, but they still get traded. Someone like Farrance or Allard seem like a typical throw-in along with a pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad