• Leafs fan saying Nylander

Results are only viewable after voting.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
can't really go wrong with either honestly

last 2 years
MacKinnon: 110 GP/ 86 points/ 50.4 cf%/ 47 gf%/47.8 gf%
Nylander: 112 GP/ 82 points/ 52.1 cf% /57 gf%/52.44 xgf%

MacKinnon played on a worse team and plays center, but they're pretty much the same tier of player

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
MacKinnon played on a worse team and plays center, but they're pretty much the same tier of player

I feel like people still don't fathom just how bad last year's Avs were and how much it affected the offensive numbers of some of their top players.

MacKinnon had something like a 20 point projected drop in comparison to other teams in the league. It wasn't a really reliable stat or anything, but anytime you can compare team scoring around the league and one team's top player has an adjusted 20 point gap comparing said player around the league using points is going to be meaningless. All last season and offseason people slept on MacKinnon, Rantanen, Barrie and Landeskog offensively due to an awful season and acted like they were trending down. Now this year the Avs are back to scoring at a decent clip and people like those players again (or better in the case of MacK and Rants).

Reactions: Foppberg and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This post I made on the avs board a few days ago seems relevant here:

Didn't know where to put this but I took a look at MacK's gamelogs and it's crazy the way things line up with the duchene trade...and the rumoured knowledge in the locker-room that the trade was almost done a week or two prior to the trade actually happening.

Looking at MacK's pointless games he had 6 in 14 games pre trade...with 4 multi-point games, all coming in the 4 games preceding the trade; during that 10 day window that the players supposedly already knew it was happening...1 pointless game in 2 they played in Sweden right after the trade, and only 3 in the 12 games they've played since getting back from Sweden (5 multi-point games). All of MacK's multi point games have come since the players supposedly found out and he's producing with much more regularity. It really seems like getting to "be the man" for this team is jiving with MacK right now. If he keeps playing like this...even if the production cools off some...we've got a legit franchise player on our hands; not just a top line star.

His totals now coming out to 28 points in the 19 games since the players supposedly found out that a Duchene deal was nigh; with only 5 points in the 10 games before that.

Speaking of flash in the pan. Isnt that exactly what mackinnon has been last two seasons prior to this one?

You mean the season where MacKinnon outscored the second leading scorer on his team by a wider margin than anyone but McDavid and was responsible for a similar proportion of his team's scoring as guys like Tarasenko & Seguin were on theirs?

...cause if that's the season you're talking about, then trying to spin that as being a flash in the pan is simply laughable.

Last edited:

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
The recency bias is strong in this one! Mac having the better season so far but has only lived up to his hype his rookie season. I'll take Willy until Mac proves consistency. Suggesting Matthews is the better comparable is laughable imo.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
The recency bias is strong in this one! Mac having the better season so far but has only lived up to his hype his rookie season. I'll take Willy until Mac proves consistency. Suggesting Matthews is the better comparable is laughable imo.
Has Willy lived up to his rookie hype?

Reactions: cgf

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Has Willy lived up to his rookie hype?

Probably depends on who you ask.. If it's me then yes. We are also through less than half a season so a lot of things can change. I still expect him to improve his pts total from last season. That would make him more consistent with a lot less seasons played. It's really too early to tell with who ends up best. But if I was a betting man I'd put my money on Willy.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Do yourself a favor and dont comment on players you dont know anything about. The fact you think Mackinnon's rookie year was his best season is all you needed to say to announce to everyone else in this thread you're talking out of your ass.

MikeBabcock

real gud pro
Apr 10, 2017
Manitouwadge, Ontario, Canada
Nylander is a 90 point player already with the potential to hit 100, the Leafs and Babcock are just playing him less and in worse situations so they can suppress his stats and get the AAV on his next contract down.

You'll all be eating your words come next year.

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Nylander is a 90 point player already with the potential to hit 100, the Leafs and Babcock are just playing him less and in worse situations so they can suppress his stats and get the AAV on his next contact down.

This is some next level conspiracy theory type shit :laugh:

Reactions: vicprestige

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Nylander is a 90 point player already with the potential to hit 100, the Leafs and Babcock are just playing him less and in worse situations so they can suppress his stats and get the AAV on his next contact down.

I honestly cant tell if this is a serious post or not.

I hope to god it isn't, but you never know around here these days.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Do yourself a favor and dont comment on players you dont know anything about. The fact you think Mackinnon's rookie year was his best season is all you needed to say to announce to everyone else in this thread you're talking out of your ass.

Thanks but I'll write whatever I feel like :shakehead

I'm a Jets/Moosehead fan and watch the Central quite a bit. Mac definitely has less support but let's not pretend he has lived up to the 1st overall draft pick. Now Willy hasn't lived up to the Leaf summer hype but that doesn't mean I was expecting as much as they were.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Mitch Marner
Connor McDavid
Jack Eichel
Sebastian Aho
Mikko Rantanen
Zach Werenski
Brock Boeser
Kyle Connor
Mathew Barzal
Noah Hanifin

I honestly cant tell if this is a serious post or not.

I hope to god it isn't, but you never know around here these days.

Yeah noo.. I don't think he is serious though with his 2015 redraft. While Nylander is freaking good I don't see him being that gamebreaker type that MacK has been for us. Pretty sure we wouldn't have more than 6 wins without him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Probably depends on who you ask.. If it's me then yes. We are also through less than half a season so a lot of things can change. I still expect him to improve his pts total from last season. That would make him more consistent with a lot less seasons played. It's really too early to tell with who ends up best. But if I was a betting man I'd put my money on Willy.
Nah. You have to use the same criteria to judge Nylander as you do MacK. In which case Nylander is failing horribly.
It's amusing watching someone try to claim recency bias in favor of MacKinnon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad