Proposal: Nylander for Weber

fair value ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlWising

Jun 4, 2018
Weber is a #1D. You don't have to like the trade offer but trolling Weber's value is something that will have back lash.
Okay so weber may be a #1D right now but do you really believe he will be as good in maybe three or four years? I would never give up player a player like that just for a few years of a soon to be overpriced defenseman

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Lol, at the Leaf fans who say no, the price for a good Rd defenseman is costly, look at the Oilers they traded a heart trophy winner, yes I know award night hasn't happened yet but Hall will win mark my words. For a decent shut down right handed defenceman. For a guy like Weber who should be a effective player until retirement for a one dimensional almost Eberle like winger, yes winger. He's no center in the NHL? Jeez I'd take that deal and run before the Habs ask for a huge plus from TO. We would defiantly take weber in Edmonton for a winger like Nylander any day.
If the trade was Nylander for Drew Doughty or Erik Karlsson with the promise they would sign a long term extension, it's something Leafs fans would consider a lot more instead of Nylander for Shea Weber.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
This is absolutely horrible from Toronto. Weber is 33 for f***s sake and has a bajillion year long 8 mil contract. Easy no from Toronto.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Weber could be valuable to Toronto in helping to restrain Matthew's black rage and dark angry impulses
Joke aside, Weber would be valuable to Toronto....and he would be a target. The problem is what Bergy paid to get Weber in the 1st place....he's going to want to recoup that, and no way is anyone offering anything close. If we could land Weber for a futures package (not Liljegren), i would do it...but Habs fans will take that as an insult, which is fine.

NotNotALeafsFan

Oct 11, 2013
Toronto
also the same Rielly who only scores on the PP. can you imagine a Weber/rielly on the PP ?
This is wrong. Rielly had 25 of his 52 points on the power play. Leafs also use 4 forwards on the PP so Rielly & Weber wouldn’t pair on it.

OP, I would love to get Weber but I wouldn’t give up Nylander for him. Nylander is under control for too long to give up for a player of Weber’s age. Are Habs fans only wanting Nylander or would they be open to a package?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Joke aside, Weber would be valuable to Toronto....and he would be a target. The problem is what Bergy paid to get Weber in the 1st place....he's going to want to recoup that, and no way is anyone offering anything close. If we could land Weber for a futures package (not Liljegren), i would do it...but Habs fans will take that as an insult, which is fine.
I still wouldn't want him no matter the cost. His contract does not expire until 2026.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I still wouldn't want him no matter the cost. His contract does not expire until 2026.
Lets be honest, as fun as it is to ride Habs fans about Weber's contract, in 2022-23 (4 years) his salary drops to 3 million...will he play for that? Maybe....but the 3 years after that, it drops to 1 million....he's going to retire. So, he's going to play for 4...possibly 5 years, at the right price to acquire, i'd do it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Lets be honest, as fun as it is to ride Habs fans about Weber's contract, in 2022-23 (4 years) his salary drops to 3 million...will he play for that? Maybe....but the 3 years after that, it drops to 1 million....he's going to retire. So, he's going to play for 4...possibly 5 years, at the right price to acquire, i'd do it.
Honestly if Toronto wanted to trade for a #1 elite right handed defenseman I rather it be Drew Doughty since he's a lot younger than Weber.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Honestly if Toronto wanted to trade for a #1 elite right handed defenseman I rather it be Drew Doughty since he's a lot younger than Weber.
While i won't argue, Doughty (if available) is going to cost a crap ton...depending on what direction the Habs are going in, they may want to move that contract for some futures.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
While i won't argue, Doughty (if available) is going to cost a crap ton...depending on what direction the Habs are going in, they may want to move that contract for some futures.
Among the Leafs big 3 between Matthews, Marner and Nylander I would be willing to include Nylander in a trade for Doughty.

Now if Montreal just asked for Toronto's 6th and 7th round picks in the 2020 draft in exchange for Weber I might be ok with it. However we know that's not happening and would the NHL even approve that type of trade?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Among the Leafs big 3 between Matthews, Marner and Nylander I would be willing to include Nylander in a trade for Doughty.

Now if Montreal just asked for Toronto's 6th and 7th round picks in the 2020 draft in exchange for Weber I might be ok with it. However we know that's not happening and would the NHL even approve that type of trade?

Come on man, i would easily do our 1st++ for Weber (not Liljegren). As far As i am concerned, the Leafs would be a better team with Weber and Nylander on it than the would with Doughty minus Nylander.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Come on man, i would easily do our 1st++ for Weber (not Liljegren). As far As i am concerned, the Leafs would be a better team with Weber and Nylander on it than the would with Doughty minus Nylander.
Yup I’d do 25 + Martin + Bergies pick of any non NHL roster guy not named Dermott Johnsson Liljegren.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Would you at least make the 1st round pick conditional on Toronto making the playoffs or are you speaking hypothetically if they traded for him before the draft next Friday and don't mind giving up the 25th overall pick?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Would you at least make the 1st round pick conditional on Toronto making the playoffs or are you speaking hypothetically if they traded for him before the draft next Friday and don't mind giving up the 25th overall pick?
I have no issue trading #25 for a D upgrade....and Weber is.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
What about their 1st round pick in 2019? If they traded that for Weber should it not be a conditional 1st round pick?
Again, Weber is still a very good player, he holds more value than a conditional 1st, and why gamble? If the Leafs stumble next season the 1st might be better than 25.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Lol, at the Leaf fans who say no, the price for a good Rd defenseman is costly, look at the Oilers they traded a heart trophy winner, yes I know award night hasn't happened yet but Hall will win mark my words. For a decent shut down right handed defenceman. For a guy like Weber who should be a effective player until retirement for a one dimensional almost Eberle like winger, yes winger. He's no center in the NHL? Jeez I'd take that deal and run before the Habs ask for a huge plus from TO. We would defiantly take weber in Edmonton for a winger like Nylander any day.
I'll bet you would. That's why Edmonton is a terrible franchise. Grit over skill is exactly how to build a losing team and the leafs are fine not going down that road

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Again, Weber is still a very good player, he holds more value than a conditional 1st, and why gamble? If the Leafs stumble next season the 1st might be better than 25.
Because no team even if they are expected to do well should never trade a 1st round pick without any conditions 1 year from the next draft. We saw what happened when Brian Burke did that for Phil Kessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad