Value of: Nylander Contract

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I am pretty sure that Toronto attempting to sign Nylander to a contract worth $18 million per year would violate the terms of the current collective bargaining agreement. The contracted would get rejected by the league office and not registered.
Thanks for clearing that up for everyone :biglaugh:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Would love to see a Montreal offer sheet of
9-10 million X 7 on Nylander. His contract value goes up every day.
Do the Leafs match ?? Of course!
That’s the point. Smart management against a competitor.

We're talking about Nylander.

Montreal would be insane to offer that, and Toronto would be absolutely stupid to match it and they never would. The compensation would be something like 4 1rst rounders and the Leafs could allocate that money elsewhere.

Besides, offer sheets rarely ever happen because the player has to throw his team under the bus and players don't usually wanna do that.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Nylander is playing the money game refusing to talk contract during summer or season. He’s banking on another good year on AM wing or being moved to C (can’t see this option happening until Bozak is gone) so he can command top dollar as a RFA. I see no discounts from him being given to the Leafs b/c if that’s how he felt he would signed this past summer (for 6 million) or during the season at latest. He wants to maximize his earning potential and command top dollar whatever he can get/market value. I’m expecting 7 - 7+ million per year.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Comparables are Ehlers and Pastrnak. Interesting thing is that even if he has a PPG season, he's still only looking at Pastrnak money.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Nylander is playing the money game refusing to talk contract during summer or season. He’s banking on another good year on AM wing or being moved to C (can’t see this option happening until Bozak is gone) so he can command top dollar as a RFA. I see no discounts from him being given to the Leafs b/c if that’s how he felt he would signed this past summer (for 6 million) or during the season at latest. He wants to maximize his earning potential and command top dollar whatever he can get/market value. I’m expecting 7 - 7+ million per year.

Yep. I dont see getting a sweetheart deal from him, his dad had a history from what I recall. Getting 2 seasons before signing the contract is pretty normal, so I can see why he waited. I don't think he signs an 8 year deal because we won't spend over 7 on him for the 8 years. To keep the cost down I bet he signs a 6 year deal with a lower cap to cash in on his 3rd contract sooner. If Ehlers scores close to him, and pasta too, then there is no way he goes for above 7, which is what he would want for 7-8 years, so settle on say 6.75 x 6.

Just my guess.

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
I think this is the most likely scenario

To this response: He's probably going to be around or at PPG with the way the Leafs generate offence, so no way he signs under 7 mill. 8x7.5 and I'm happy.

(Not sure what happened there...)

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Comparables are Ehlers and Pastrnak. Interesting thing is that even if he has a PPG season, he's still only looking at Pastrnak money.

They are only comparable if Nylander signed before this year. Nylander took a smart gamble. It's hard not to see him put up 75-80 points this year if he's healthy.

The 5.5-6.5M contract was going to be there even if he had the same season as last year. Getting 75-80 points puts his closest comparable as Draisaitl. I think the Leafs will be able to get him for 7-7.5M.

A happy medium between the Ehlers/Pastrnak and Draisaitl deals.

The only discount I see the Leafs getting is Marner's deal which is very likely going to come in closer to Ehlers/Pastrnak.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
They are only comparable if Nylander signed before this year. Nylander took a smart gamble. It's hard not to see him put up 75-80 points this year if he's healthy.

The 5.5-6.5M contract was going to be there even if he had the same season as last year. Getting 75-80 points puts his closest comparable as Draisaitl. I think the Leafs will be able to get him for 7-7.5M.

The only discount I see the Leafs getting is Marner's deal which is very likely going to come in closer to Ehlers/Pastrnak.

Look up how much Pastrnak signed for and look up how many seasons he's had in the NHL.

Draisaitl is not a comparable to anyone. He's a massive outlier that's just a bad Chiarelli decision.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Look up how much Pastrnak signed for and look up how many seasons he's had in the NHL.

Draisaitl is not a comparable to anyone. He's a massive outlier that's just a bad Chiarelli decision.

Draisaitl is the guy Nylander's agent will use as comparable.

Natural C? Check.
Playing on wing with team's best player? Check.
75-80 points? TBD.

Nylander will get anywhere between 7-8.5M. Closer to 8.5M if this season is going to go the way I expect it to go for him.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Draisaitl is the guy Nylander's agent will use as comparable.

Natural C? Check.
Playing on wing with team's best player? Check.
75-80 points? TBD.

Nylander will get anywhere between 7-8.5M. Closer to 8.5M if this season is going to go the way I expect it to go for him.

I specifically pointed that it was a bad Chiarelli decision. Pastrnak's agent tried to use Draisaitl's contract as a comparable and look where that got him. Nobody is going to get paid that kind of money except for the McDavids and Matthews.

Just a massive ****-up by one of the worst GMs in the NHL.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yep. I dont see getting a sweetheart deal from him, his dad had a history from what I recall. Getting 2 seasons before signing the contract is pretty normal, so I can see why he waited. I don't think he signs an 8 year deal because we won't spend over 7 on him for the 8 years. To keep the cost down I bet he signs a 6 year deal with a lower cap to cash in on his 3rd contract sooner. If Ehlers scores close to him, and pasta too, then there is no way he goes for above 7, which is what he would want for 7-8 years, so settle on say 6.75 x 6.

Just my guess.

If management feel he's worth it I don't think they'd hesitate to give him 7 or 7.5 over eight.

I doubt ether Marner or Nylander agebts would ever consider a bridge deal.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

And Tarasenko? Again, Draisaitl is the outlier.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
And Tarasenko? Again, Draisaitl is the outlier.

Can't compare Draisatl to Nylander....Draisatl is a 6'3 center who is top 10 in NHL scoring...absolutely dominating performance in the playoffs...Draisatl has outperformed Nylander in every season...let's just see what Nylander will become...he's a nice player but he's no Draisatl a nor will he get paid like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad